• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Minolta pulls out of camera market

OregonAlex

just in from www.dpreview.com

This has to be the biggest and most shocking news before the upcoming PMA show, Konica Minolta has today announced that it is withdrawing from the camera and photo business. They will be transferring assets related to their camera business to Sony who will continue to develop digital SLR's based around the Konica Minolta lens mount. Konica Minolta it appears will continue to work with Sony (a relationship announced last year) in the development of digital SLR's and lenses but they will not be branded as or be sold by Konica Minolta. Full announcement and details of the Sony asset transfer inside.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Its a shame. Back in the old days, Minolta had some nice little SLRs. I knew a lot of people who had them, they were smaller and lighter than the Nikons and most considered them prosumer models. Konica had some nice stuff too, but never really had a good following. When they co-branded a while back I figured it would hurt Minolta because it was always the better name (at least I thought that). But I'm surprised to see them go with Sony. I'd have thought that Sony could have done it on its own had it wanted to get into the market of digital SLR but I always figured they were happy with the consumer market. Then again, Sony picks up some instant legitimacy in the SLR market because of the lens mount that it grabs in the deal.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Its a shame. Back in the old days, Minolta had some nice little SLRs. I knew a lot of people who had them, they were smaller and lighter than the Nikons and most considered them prosumer models. Konica had some nice stuff too, but never really had a good following. When they co-branded a while back I figured it would hurt Minolta because it was always the better name (at least I thought that). But I'm surprised to see them go with Sony. I'd have thought that Sony could have done it on its own had it wanted to get into the market of digital SLR but I always figured they were happy with the consumer market. Then again, Sony picks up some instant legitimacy in the SLR market because of the lens mount that it grabs in the deal.

I still have and often use my Minolta Maxxum 7000i that I got sometime in the late 80's. :thumb: