• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Food you can't stand.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm generally not a fussy eater and will try pretty much anything. There are foods that I can't stand eating anymore. Some, I just never was a fan of. Others, I will flat out refuse to eat.

There are two main foods I can think of that I refuse to eat. One is canned peaches. I just don't like the texture and taste.

The second is jello. Any kind of jello. I was never a fan of it but when I had my accident, the only thing I could eat for 10 days in ICU was jello. Breakfast lunch and supper. Jello. I can't stand it now and would rather lick a dirty toilet bowl than eat another mouthful of jello.

What about you? What foods don't you like and why?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Bannedjoe

I'll eat your Jello, and your canned peaches.

I'll eat just about anything, and I even love my vegetables.

I can only think of one thing right off the bat that I absolutely abhor.

Liver!

This isn't the reason why I hate it, but the first time my mother ever served me liver as a kid, I got down from the table to look for my Beagle.
I was certain she had killed my dog, cooked it, and was feeding it to me.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll eat your Jello, and your canned peaches.

I'll eat just about anything, and I even love my vegetables.

I can only think of one thing right off the bat that I absolutely abhor.

Liver!

This isn't the reason why I hate it, but the first time my mother ever served me liver as a kid, I got down from the table to look for my Beagle.
I was certain she had killed my dog, cooked it, and was feeding it to me.
I love canned peaches. Ilovejello unless it has slaw or carrots or fruit cocktail in it. Plain Jello I'll eat anytime.
Liver. One of my favorites. Liver and onions at Mother-in-Law's cost $35.
It is my favorite entree'

Calamari,, no way.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with Franc on the liver. I love it, never get to eat it though unless we go out someplace and it's on the menu. My wife is a great cook but she won't cook liver ... she won't even handle it. If I try to cook it, it's dog food.

In the old days I'd eat pretty much anything. In the Far East, South America, Africa and Egypt I've eaten some pretty strange stuff. These days, with diabetes, there are a lot of things that I just can't eat anymore but you'll find me standing in front of the bakery cabinet, like a little kid, saying nothing, just staring and slobbering. :)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FrancSevin said:
Liver. One of my favorites. Liver and onions at Mother-in-Law's cost $35.

jimslagle said:
Next time you’re there you can have my share :bolt:

You can have mine too Franc. Liver ...YUCK. :puke2:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's one I don't hate. But I just cannot get into it.

Southern Biscuits and gravy.

Bamby

Liver and onions at Mother-in-Law's cost $35.
It is my favorite entree'

I also happen to like Liver & onions if cooked well but not at 35 bucks no matter how well its cooked. I'd choose a nice steak, ribs, or a whole host of other choices that can be had for less money.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's one I don't hate. But I just cannot get into it.

Southern Biscuits and gravy.

Heathen!!! :bolt:

Actually, my wife is the biscuits and gravy person but as with a lot of food, it has to HER biscuits and HER gravy. Me? I haven't eaten them in over 10 years at least.

Somebody mentioned okra and I'd like to add turnip greens to that list. I've eaten them but always feel guilty that I'm depriving some sheep somewhere of a decent meal. Yuk!

The first time my wife cooked me bacon, sausage, eggs and blueberry pancakes on the same plate I didn't know what to do. We Brits, or at least this one, can't handle the thought of breakfast and dessert at the same time. Give me the pancakes on the side and we're good. Until I met her I'd never seen anyone put cheddar cheese on apple pie either.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Heathen!!! :bolt:

Actually, my wife is the biscuits and gravy person but as with a lot of food, it has to HER biscuits and HER gravy. Me? I haven't eaten them in over 10 years at least.

Somebody mentioned okra and I'd like to add turnip greens to that list. I've eaten them but always feel guilty that I'm depriving some sheep somewhere of a decent meal. Yuk!

The first time my wife cooked me bacon, sausage, eggs and blueberry pancakes on the same plate I didn't know what to do. We Brits, or at least this one, can't handle the thought of breakfast and dessert at the same time. Give me the pancakes on the side and we're good. Until I met her I'd never seen anyone put cheddar cheese on apple pie either.

Heathen???? Hell man, it is damn near un American!!!!

But there ya go.

My granddad used to put cheddar on apple pie, and then cover it all with gravy. He died of heart disease at 61. One of the reasons I shy from biscuits and gravy.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I also happen to like Liver & onions if cooked well but not at 35 bucks no matter how well its cooked. I'd choose a nice steak, ribs, or a whole host of other choices that can be had for less money.

Mother-in-Law's was a very high end restaurant in Ole Towne St Charles MO. Cordoned blue, Chicken Veronica, Chateau Briand...; that sort of thing.
The liver and onions was to die for and one of the cheapest items on the menu.
Cooked "well" doesn't begin to describe it.

Worth every penny but only once or twice a year.

Bannedjoe

Dammit.
I have to take a step backwards.
I love Boudain.
It has just a smidgeon of pork liver in it.

But pork liver is way milder than beef or chicken liver.

But I still won't sit down to a blob of liver no matter what.
Nor liverwurst.

But other than that, I can't think of really any other thing that I absolutely won't eat, except I did try a peyote button once.
That was probably the foulest most difficult thing I've ever tried to choke down in my life.

There are some things that I've never tried, and probably wouldn't, just because of what they are.

Chitterlings comes to mind, but that takes us back to offal and innards....

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Capers and okra!

I don't drink milk either.

Most everything else is a-ok.
Omg. Okra. I tried hard to forget my one and only time trying that.

On our honeymoon in Charleston sc, we went on an evening dinner cruise in the harbor. Full 8 course meal. Dancing. The only thing that sticks out was they served ocra. Gross!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I did try a peyote button once.
That was probably the foulest most difficult thing I've ever tried to choke down in my life.

Never tried peyote buttons but I've been told that they are extremely bitter by someone who drank them as a tea.

What I did try and wish that I hadn't was BOILED PEANUTS.

We were driving the back roads in Georgia and there were stalls and signs up all over the place for boiled peanuts. I'd never tried them so we had to stop and get a big bag. They didn't last in the car for a mile before getting tossed. They smell like crap, taste like crap, they are crap. Sorry Georgia but that's the truth.

Bannedjoe

Never tried peyote buttons but I've been told that they are extremely bitter by someone who drank them as a tea.

What I did try and wish that I hadn't was BOILED PEANUTS.

We were driving the back roads in Georgia and there were stalls and signs up all over the place for boiled peanuts. I'd never tried them so we had to stop and get a big bag. They didn't last in the car for a mile before getting tossed. They smell like crap, taste like crap, they are crap. Sorry Georgia but that's the truth.

I've tried the roadside boiled peanuts, didn't see what all the fuss was about either, except you don't need teeth to eat them.

I had a friend who came to visit from Alabama.
He brought a #10 can of boiled peanuts with him.
They seemed to taste a little better than the roadside ones, but I doubt I'd ever try looking for them.

Bamby

Mother-in-Law's was a very high end restaurant in Ole Towne St Charles MO. Cordoned blue, Chicken Veronica, Chateau Briand...; that sort of thing.
The liver and onions was to die for and one of the cheapest items on the menu.
Cooked "well" doesn't begin to describe it.

Worth every penny but only once or twice a year.
Kind of thought this was the case. In our case whenever we felt the urge to enjoy some extravagance we'd choose a good quality middle shelf so we could spread it around with others of our choosing.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh,.. I forgot one of the things you only eat once in your life

While in the Philippines, I ate a Balut,... one was enuf

... if you don't know what it is, do a google, but, be prepared for an eye opener.

Baluts and San Miguel...Breakfast of Champions

I think I may have just killed this thread

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried chestnuts roasting over an open fire ..at the Columbus zoo during Christmas Holiday one year. The song is okay but I do not see the attraction to the warm chestnuts. Yuck.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I tried chestnuts roasting over an open fire ..at the Columbus zoo during Christmas Holiday one year. The song is okay but I do not see the attraction to the warm chestnuts. Yuck.
That brings back bad memories of my vasectomy. [emoji31]

Back on track....never tried them. Lol.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Same here.
I tried them in York, England one time from a little cart and wasn't too turned on by them.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I've eaten them but not a fan. The best use for chestnuts as a kid was to play conkers. (Google it)

Bannedjoe

Oh, here's another one that will damn near make me gag at just the mere sight of them.

Orange circus peanuts, candy corn.
zSlHzQd.gif

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 9.28.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 9.28.29 AM.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 151

Bamby

Since I spent a few weeks in the hospital a while back I find anything coming preloaded with salt repulsive. Ham and hot dogs for instance have to be boiled or preboiled to leach the excess salt out before I can find the palatable. I never realized just how many items there are that are loaded down with salt.
One good thing about it the fact my blood pressure now receives complements.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Since I spent a few weeks in the hospital a while back I find anything coming preloaded with salt repulsive. Ham and hot dogs for instance have to be boiled or preboiled to leach the excess salt out before I can find the palatable. I never realized just how many items there are that are loaded down with salt.
One good thing about it the fact my blood pressure now receives complements.

I can understand that. I think that it is an American thing as the same products in Europe contain a lot less salt. Same thing with sugar. American food manufacturers add sugar, sugar derivatives or sugar substitutes to just about everything for no real reason.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Anchovies and liverworst. I would eat the ass hole out of a dead rino before I would even smell either of those again. Marty

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Anchovies and liverworst. I would eat the ass hole out of a dead rino before I would even smell either of those again. Marty

Man, I love both of them. A pizza is not a pizza without anchovies and I'll eat any kind of sausage. The secret is not to ask what's in them. :clap::clap::clap: