• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2020 Sno Cat Clowder ( FEBRUARY 1, 2020 )

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
Mr & Mrs Night Owl booked at Big Powderhorn ! Sno-Trac ready to play ! Spark plugs retorqued:clap: We will see you at the Clowder !!

alryA

We moved out of Duluth in 1996 and my spouse is s ST Scholastica grad. It is a nice town and we planned to stay but there snow is a "hit or miss" thing.

Duluth is great and has everything needed. Beautiful Hwy 2 trip !

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, Yes, Yes the comradery is the result and the goal.

Fat tire bike folks, recreating along side noisy, long track snowmobilers is something to behold.
snow shoeing, cross country skiing and motor sport all enjoying the snow.!

with folks commuting in from all about the country side. catching a ride is easy.
I will get a car to the airport for you if that gets you off your butt to come check out the diverse group of over the snow machinery.

MSP is just under 4 hrs. ( Minneapolis, MN )
GRB is just over 3 hours. (Green Bay, WI)
DLH is closest commercial airport. ( Duluth MN )

Also DLH is an active shipping port. They may be shutting down in the upcoming weeks due to ICE. I am used to seeing huge ore freighters but some folks might get a kick out of seeing just how massive these ships are.

There are cats for sale.
Snow cat parts for sale, Barter and swap.
It is not uncommon to have a random stranger walk up at the saturday event and proclaim, they have a "snow cat like that sitting at CAMP", and then after a brief chat Cats are rehomed.....

( why you ask ? )
there is 25000 miles of state funded snowmobile trails in WISCONSIN in excess of 220000 snowmobiles registered in the state.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr & Mrs Night Owl booked at Big Powderhorn ! Sno-Trac ready to play ! Spark plugs retorqued:clap: We will see you at the Clowder !!

Sweet Steve, I have been carrying those little throttle cable clamps or nuts in my parts bag ever since......

Glad your coming those tuckers are going to need some help breaking trail again.....:th_lmao:

alryA

Lake Superior shipping ends on Jan 15th, which is when the Soo locks are shut down. But locks and harbors are kept open this time of the year with ice breakers and I read someplace they have been working out there. The link shows current boat traffic and with the wind howling here today, so darn few are out it in..

The Duluth harbor normally see 14 or so, boats tired up there for the winter. This is the opportunity to see them up close and with there ballast water out, much of them are visible. I enjoy the shipping industry and know people who work on them. Looking at the AIS boat location link, it does not appear any boats have tire up in Duluth for the winter yet. The Barker is anchored in a bay under the Keweenaw right now to get shelter from the wind.

alryA

Silly question Mike. Is it Day 2 which is Sunday, the ride down to the lake and campfire??

The first Saturday in February is the 2/1/2020

So Yes, the invite is standing.

The event sponsor list is growing.

The event rules are shrinking.

( well technically that is a false statement, we only have one rule in the By-laws as set forth by our host.
Rule one: there are no rules. should decide to create rules, you will be tolerated as opposed to welcomed here )

the previous years participants have been building towards a winter camp as an optional track.
the group has secured a rendezvous style canvas tent, wood stove and
are wanting to deploy.

as details come in they will reside here in this thread.

Many Big enhancements are in the works.
so to recap for Newer members or those not wanting to over think the Get together.

It is a one day event that takes four days to fit it in.

Day one
is a Forest trail ride organized by the folks based on who is in town and what they want to experience ( ranges from wild to mild)
Day two
is a little more organized family experience based around a Campfire lunch stop, family's and smiles dictate the navigation and to some extent the destination. time for Mountain biking, skiing and snowshoeing at the turn is encouraged...... ( past participants please expand )
Day three
is geared towards our host. 8-12pm the cats are on public display and most folks are enjoying the amenities of big powder horns complex. ( some have been known to repair broken equipment )
Sau-na (rhymes with cow-na)
pool,
cross country ski,
down hill ski and boarding
Off site options
Local micro brew tours
shopping trips
industry tours of various mfg arranged if requested

around 1pm ( in the midwest it's known as after Lunch) there are snow cat games scheduled and crowds form quick. Great opportunity to share the machines with folks that have never considered the Hobby (better stated Habit.)

Day three is a saturday the 1st of Feb. So as the games settle down and the winners beam with pride [usually around 4 (Dusk)] there is a drivers meeting and the snow cats are prepared for a sunset cruise of the facility culminating in a dinner program.
this dinner program is a great time. putting a face to a username and building community is very enjoyable almost as much fun as the associated teasing and awards and gift sharing.

there is various swag, created and shared to break even on expense....

It is a great event with something for everybody

lift tickets, ski and or board rentals are at an steeply discounted rate, Lodging packages are a tremendous value and are snow cat-able

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, Yes, Yes the comradery is the result and the goal.

Fat tire bike folks, recreating along side noisy, long track snowmobilers is something to behold.
snow shoeing, cross country skiing and motor sport all enjoying the snow.!

with folks commuting in from all about the country side. catching a ride is easy.
I will get a car to the airport for you if that gets you off your butt to come check out the diverse group of over the snow machinery.

MSP is just under 4 hrs. ( Minneapolis, MN )
GRB is just over 3 hours. (Green Bay, WI)
DLH is closest commercial airport. ( Duluth MN )

Also DLH is an active shipping port. They may be shutting down in the upcoming weeks due to ICE. I am used to seeing huge ore freighters but some folks might get a kick out of seeing just how massive these ships are.

There are cats for sale.
Snow cat parts for sale, Barter and swap.
It is not uncommon to have a random stranger walk up at the saturday event and proclaim, they have a "snow cat like that sitting at CAMP", and then after a brief chat Cats are rehomed.....

( why you ask ? )
there is 25000 miles of state funded snowmobile trails in WISCONSIN in excess of 220000 snowmobiles registered in the state.

One Might get to experience the freezing point of propane also ! :th_lmao:

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
Sweet Steve, I have been carrying those little throttle cable clamps or nuts in my parts bag ever since......

Glad your coming those tuckers are going to need some help breaking trail again.....:th_lmao:

Massive power gains with the New Super Charger :clap: Nine foot of snow ? Never felt safer than the experience off this crew to go play in the deep snow ! Did you ever see a ski dozer cover up a dead fall :thumbup: chain saws are for the camp fire and what can be said about Pontoon Princess 's mobile buffet AA-11 first class ! I Start 2020 the 2020 Clowder :weneedpic

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome !

Attachments

• 20200106_185645.jpg
    20200106_185645.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 195

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So let us know who'd all would like to get together on Friday night for "all true tales" dinner gathering. And where? :thumbup::smilelove::eatdrink::smilelove::thumbup:

I am in and open at this point. I hope to go leave some money at the VFW at some point.

I am currently scheduled to arrive Thursday AM. in time to get out on the trail.

Thursday pm is open

Friday ( tentative VFW visit ) but still open if the crowd is preferring something different.
saturday is in-house at big powderhorn in the caribou lodge.... this is a fun dinner,

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
I am in and open at this point. I hope to go leave some money at the VFW at some point.

I am currently scheduled to arrive Thursday AM. in time to get out on the trail.

Thursday pm is open

Friday ( tentative VFW visit ) but still open if the crowd is preferring something different.
saturday is in-house at big powderhorn in the caribou lodge.... this is a fun dinner,

Bring a grill and let's thrash your place Friday :th_lmao:218244918two

Patroller

Thursday pm is open

Best bet for Friday nite is the VFW in Bessemer. Thur night is a good time to go to the Black River Pub.

Drove to Copper Peak this afternoon. This is the exit from CP crossing Black River Road to the trail West.

Attachments

• 2020-01-07 exit.jpg
    2020-01-07 exit.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 2020-01-07 west.jpg
    2020-01-07 west.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 183

alryA

Do tell David and Abigail that the mutts will be there. Any other kids this year?? Me and those mutts, do like to see the kids :clap:
Taken last year.

Attachments

• P1020828.jpg
    P1020828.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 475

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
there will be kids.

Young and old alike.

it is turning into quite an event. We can add North Dakota to the first timers list. with any luck we can snag a canadian this year again and have an international event!!!!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Week Two Update:

In review of cider toms adventure list, it Looks like the Event one was a success.

Event two, the midwest cat clowder on deck.

• Art work for the shirts is approved and going to press as soon as the reflective print is selected.
  • The dinner program has a large enough attendance to warrant a buffet style meal in the Gun barrel lodge. ( dietary restrictions encouraged to speak up so accommodations can be made ) off the menu ordering available as well.
  • Ski lessons available
  • steeply discounted rentals and lift tickets make this an affordable family event.
  • Three large lodges in the same neighbor hood have been secured in addition there are extra rooms available if you are not sure how to handle that aspect.
  • 14 day pricing on plane tickets is now. make arrangements.

Pictures help right?

I took this photo.

It is used with permission.

For all that wonder how the pontoon vehicles handle the learning curve for Wisconsin winters,
I humbly submit:

Pontoon training course. Classes will fill fast sign up early, not a requirement for tuckers attending the GTG but it is strongly encouraged:th_lmao:

Attachments

• 20200112_150301.jpg
    20200112_150301.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 454

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
With a little fabrication and a few thousand rollers that could be a nice two track Tucker that floats. Or maybe just strap that on as a life vest before the next run across the lake.

Glad to see her back on dry land, hopefully there is no lasting damage!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
just think of it as a walker for an elderly tucker, should have never left the Home

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3d5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3d5.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 448

PJL

So pontoons meant for water are not equal to pontoons made for snow?? Which is made of water?

Just glad no one got hurt and the cat made it home in good shape.