• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

front and rear seal replacement project - snotrac

utahwilson

This is why you own a snotrac. less than 2 hrs I was able to pull the motor by myself. Nice being able to stand in the engine compartment. Now I have to figure out how to replace the seals.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 143
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 138
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 139
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 140
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 143
  • photofinal.JPG
    photofinal.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 144

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
which seals are you replacing. also while the engine is out check the end play on the crank should be 4 to 8 thousandths if it's getting loose remove the fly wheel and remove one of the thinner shims

utahwilson

which seals are you replacing. also while the engine is out check the end play on the crank should be 4 to 8 thousandths if it's getting loose remove the fly wheel and remove one of the thinner shims

Don, replacing the two rear seals. attached is a picture of the shoulder on the flywheel. Definitely is pitted. Also, uploaded the play in the crank video to youtube. Does not seem excessive. Seems like there is only one shim. Possibly the other shims are pressed in an need to be worked out? Everything I have read says you need at least 3? Old seals looked ok, no obvious sign of damage. O' ring on the fly wheel was worn down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-AJu7wBjXg

Attachments

• flywheel.JPG
    flywheel.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 133

utahwilson

Don, replacing the two rear seals. attached is a picture of the shoulder on the flywheel. Definitely is pitted. Also, uploaded the play in the crank video to youtube. Does not seem excessive. Seems like there is only one shim. Possibly the other shims are pressed in an need to be worked out? Everything I have read says you need at least 3? Old seals looked ok, no obvious sign of damage. O' ring on the fly wheel was worn down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-AJu7wBjXg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
first your end play needs to be checked with the flywheel but while it is off I would watch the rear main bering for any movement while sliding the crank in and out indicating a worn case. reinstall your fly wheel than check end play as for the fly wheel your seal surface needs to be sleeved, don't replace the fly wheel or you will have to re shim and set end play again you should only have 1 rear main seal I don't know why you had 2.