Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > DIY Forums > DIY Building & Construction Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice
Default Re: I'm so done with "green"

I can dig 18-24" but then you hit the layer of rock the glaciers left behind with all the fossils in it. Tough damn rock to beat through but most places it is only about 12" thick. I beat 2 sets of teeth to death on my backhoe cutting the ridge down coming through the woods and digging the septic tank hole. The big hickory stumps actually came out easy since they could not get a tap root any deeper than that shelf rock. The power co. ended up bringing in a hammer on a backhoe to bust holes for the poles up top. If you dig a nice ring around that stump it will come out. Too bad the tree is not still on it.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 11,716 Times in 3,584 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
I can dig 18-24" but then you hit the layer of rock the glaciers left behind with all the fossils in it. Tough damn rock to beat through but most places it is only about 12" thick. I beat 2 sets of teeth to death on my backhoe cutting the ridge down coming through the woods and digging the septic tank hole. The big hickory stumps actually came out easy since they could not get a tap root any deeper than that shelf rock. The power co. ended up bringing in a hammer on a backhoe to bust holes for the poles up top. If you dig a nice ring around that stump it will come out. Too bad the tree is not still on it.
Yes. The brush fire killed many of the 8" trees the loggers left. Those I cut at 4 feet and then pushed over with the dozer. But these old growth stumps are cut 6" off the grade. No leverage.

I have dug some stumps out. A good days work to get some of them. I should have done these before we started the barn. A stump under the gravel in the barn was no big deal. But it was a barn then.

Now, it's gonna be the house. I gotta get them out. Oh happy day right?

Last edited by FrancSevin; 12-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

I forgot about the 120 ft. of footer drain I dug down the one side and across the end of the house. The house itself sits on the shelf so it is not going anywhere unless we have a major earthquake. Once you get through it you can break off chunks but it lifts the front end of the 17,000lb. machine to do it. One of the joys of living on top. I have hauled in 2 tri-axle loads of sand to amend my clay soil in the garden and added a lot of leaves and manure and wood ashes to get it where it is today.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman View Post
I forgot about the 120 ft. of footer drain I dug down the one side and across the end of the house. The house itself sits on the shelf so it is not going anywhere unless we have a major earthquake. Once you get through it you can break off chunks but it lifts the front end of the 17,000lb. machine to do it. One of the joys of living on top. I have hauled in 2 tri-axle loads of sand to amend my clay soil in the garden and added a lot of leaves and manure and wood ashes to get it where it is today.
Yeah. I am not looking forward to the septic system project.

I am 80 acres so an approved sytem isn't required. That said I at least want a working system. So yes, digging, and some assembly required.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Congrats, Franc. A Dream in Progress.

Makes me wish I'd kept my 50 acres in Lebanon.
I wish you had it. Lebanon is only 45 minute from AVA MO. really nice country.
Bennett Springs trout fishin?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Well, My project got a set back today. The wifey has once again changed her mind.

Let me set this up. I built a 12' X 8' shed on a sled for the first structure. It houses the water tank, the generator, the wind generator electronics,, same for the solar panel, the batteries and stores construction materieal, fasteners and tools. 16' east of that, I am building an identical unit as a main storage building for foodstuffs and supplies. Between them I have built a 16' X 12' treated deck.

The plan was to enclose this deck between the two Sheds and create a sorta bunkhouse. Then add a large roof making a 32' X 32' barn with a large run thru for parking the tractors, dozer and other equipment in the back.

In other words a barn.

But recent events have accelerated our retirement plans and so we began the process of converting what existed to a livable cabin. I've got doors and windows, a furnace, a water heater kitchen cabinets, toilet and bathroom fixture all purchased over the years at bargain prices.

Except for roof sheathing, I have enough framing lumber and finish panels (drywall,paneling,trim lumber), electrical you name it,,,,,I could easily build a fair house.

For the last two months wehave been designing the structure and everyday there is a crisis of space, usage, Kitchen cabinents, fitting the bathroom into the shed and a bedroom into the otherone. but the real fights are over the "views"

So yesterday, I kinda threw up my hands. "you design what you want, I'll build it" was my last word on the matter. She has been sketching and planning my doom ever since.

So today, I got the results. "Why don't you just build the barn the way you wanted and we can build the house later somewhere else."

So, six weeks of engineering and architectural drawings later,,,I'm back to the original plan. Good news actually. I always wanted this structure to be the barn.

We have the RV, 32'X 8' with a 16' bump out. It has everything a house has except space. Except for bumping my head all the time it is adequate for week end living.

So the house is on hold. The barn goes up this spring and I should have it done by end of summer. Meanwhile wifey can stroll about the 80 acres and figure out where to put the house.

I know she will pick out the worst site to plant a house. But what the hell. If mama ain't happy, nobody is happy.

All I want to do is live long enough to sit on the front porch with a good hound dog and a beer,,,,and watch a few sunsets make her smile.

Last edited by FrancSevin; 01-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

ki0ho will become famous soon enough

Hang in there Frank...it will all work out in the end....Besides didnt ya say you started out with nutten and ya still had most of it left??????? hell with all that left you can build a little Pondarosa!!!!!!!!!And mother will be happy!!!!!what more can ya ask for???

LORD help me be the person my dogs seem to think I am.....
Dembisels Happen

Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 5,816 Times in 2,277 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
So yesterday, I kinda threw up my hands. "you design what you want, I'll build it"
My friend, never ever, ever say that to a woman.

About 15 years ago we owned 120 acres and I said the exact same thing to my wife. She came up with a 2,000 sq foot kitchen and I think there was a bedroom somewhere in there. Her dream house!!! Luckily we found a house on a small piece of land so that got me off the hook but man, it was a close call.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
My friend, never ever, ever say that to a woman.

About 15 years ago we owned 120 acres and I said the exact same thing to my wife. She came up with a 2,000 sq foot kitchen and I think there was a bedroom somewhere in there. Her dream house!!! Luckily we found a house on a small piece of land so that got me off the hook but man, it was a close call.
Yeah, that was kinda a scary move.
Ithinke we'll be Okay though. She counts the money and so I imagine the kitchen will be under 1500Square feet.
My biggest challenge has always been to get something built before she changes her mind.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Supported Ben Carson

squerly will become famous soon enoughsquerly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So yesterday, I kinda threw up my hands. "you design what you want, I'll build it" was my last word on the matter. She has been sketching and planning my doom ever since.
lol, funny stuff, dangerous but funny.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Squerly, speaking of funny,,,,

I couldn't help but laugh at the curious coincidence with your sig

lol, funny stuff, dangerous but funny.

I do hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Well , plans were approvedby the building dept. today.
No, not the Douglas County guys,,,,the wife.

I have all the materials on site except the roof, which we are still debating. I want steel, she wants shingles.

That, some hardware for the sliding doors and 15 ton of gravel. As soon as I get 120 feet of 8/3 AGW in the ground, we are on the way.

Now all I need is good weather and some time.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well , plans were approvedby the building dept. today.
No, not the Douglas County guys,,,,the wife.

I have all the materials on site except the roof, which we are still debating. I want steel, she wants shingles.

That, some hardware for the sliding doors and 15 ton of gravel. As soon as I get 120 feet of 8/3 AGW in the ground, we are on the way.

Now all I need is good weather and some time.
Well, time for an update.

Weather and children have gotten in the way.
I finally got the stumps out but have not yet buried the Electric cable. We are hooked up to the main power, but the cable is laying on the ground.

house is on hold,,,,,Barn is going up a stick at a time. Roof material will be steel,,,,Yippie. Turns out actualy priced competitive to shingles once we calculated sheathing and labor. $3500.00 vrs $2200 total material costs. Steel is more but, steel is for 50 years.

Because of the weather we haven't been to the place in five weeks. So the project is way behind.

I spent a week in CT helping my son. Poor guy cannot do anything strenuios with his legs without pain. We built 16' X 12' garden boxes and hauled hand dug dirt to them in wheel barrow sized dump cart. 30 loads @ three cubic foot per box.

He's forty on daily oxycotin. I'm 68 on Glenfidditch. Perhaps home remedies are best?

Funny, you always expect your kids to help you out when you get older.

I watch Squerly's project grow like a weed and by comparison, I have accomplished relatively nada.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Hang in there Franc....it will all work out........

Dembisels Happen

Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

I know but I thought when I got to be this age I would have more time. Seems I have less time than ever now.

Maybe because at this age, I move so much slower!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
ki0ho (06-07-2013), squerly (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 5,816 Times in 2,277 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I know but I thought when I got to be this age I would have more time. Seems I have less time than ever now.

Maybe because at this age, I move so much slower!
Retirement = more time off = NONSENSE.

As for the age thing, I don't know what to say. I do know that it just took me 2 days to set 25 fence posts. I can remember when I could do that in the morning and be wondering what I was going to do to fill in the afternoon. In reality, it might be a case of the older we get the bigger, stronger, faster and better looking we used to be. I was boogered. It was 90+ degrees, humid as hell and not a breath of air. It might just be easier to pay someone to this stuff. Nah, no fun in that.

Keep at it old man. Persevere and win out. Take comfort in the fact that they limit the amount of pharmaceuticals you can have at one time but there's no limit on the Glenfiddich.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
Retirement = more time off = NONSENSE.

Take comfort in the fact that they limit the amount of pharmaceuticals you can have at one time but there's no limit on the Glenfiddich.

Words to live by.
I am encouraged by the news.
Thanks for the up beat response.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

If this is retirement, I want to go back to work! I have so little time of my own lately.

Dad is 90 and refuses to move so I have his house to keep repaired and Yard to prune, mow and rake. My son is building green houses and re flooring his house, from his wheel chair ,ant to put a cap on it, our business has exploded. All of this was supposed to go away last July when we were closing shop, selling off and building our place in Ava MO.

Not so.

The Dozer backhoe hasn't moved in 6 months. The pipe and wire lays on the ground with no trench from the power pole to the house site. All the lumber sleeps under tarps that are becoming threadbare from exposure. We haven't been there but twice in the last four months.

Winter storms have eclipsed any trips since before Thanksgiving. Were we general contracting, it would be different. But I want to dig every hole, lay every stone and drive every nail, myself. So, we start again next year after the holiday trip to Connecticut.

At least the material is there. now, if I can just find a way to be there myself.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Again....Hang in there franc....it will all work out....all things happen for a reason as for me ..some times someone has to wack me over the head to get my attention so I can see the reason!!! Some one once said...Pease..Be...Still.......

Dembisels Happen