• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GM Vehicles now have 5/100 factory warranty

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
GM just announced a 5 year 100k mile factory powertrain warranty to try to improve vehicle sales. Thoughts?

For more info New GM factory warranty

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I presume their basic bumper-to-bumper coverage is the same. Personally, as someone who buys for a small fleet, this will sway me toward GM because I will know that my light vehicles will at least be covered. Now there are certainly other factors, but I think this is a darn good step on their part to try to reclaim some folks who have had past problems with their vehicles.

I still can't figure out why American auto makers can't seem to make the combination of value, performance and design that the Japanese car makers seem to get right so often.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
GM just announced a 5 year 100k mile factory powertrain warranty to try to improve vehicle sales. Thoughts?

For more info New GM factory warranty
This will definitely cause me to look again at GM products. We are currently shopping for a new car for the wife, and the Mazda3 (5 door) is what we have been looking at so far. Comparing the 3/36K Mazda warrantee to the 5/100K GM, GM now needs some more thought.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, as you likely know, Mazda is part of Ford. I'm still waiting of clarification of Ford and Chrysler's response to GM's new warranty. I have already heard that Honda and Toyota are not making any changes in response at this time.

HGM

Dargo said:
Dave, as you likely know, Mazda is part of Ford. I'm still waiting of clarification of Ford and Chrysler's response to GM's new warranty. I have already heard that Honda and Toyota are not making any changes in response at this time.

I would suspect that the GM deal is actually a responce to Fords Powertrain Waranty announced last month.. Interesting though..

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Dave, as you likely know, Mazda is part of Ford.

Yes, I can actually get S Plan pricing from the fordpartners website, and use that as a talking price on the Mazda vehicles.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
In 1967 GM upped the warranty period from 24K/24 months to 5 year/50,000 miles and it helped sales. The program was also cancelled in less than 36 months because of the projected repair costs based on the first 24 months of experiance. Until they start making a better product, they will not survive. What good is a extended warranty on the drive train when the front end is falling apart, or the rest of the car still isn't as well built as some of the competitors.