• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I Need Help

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I am not exactly grill poor. I have more grills, smokers and griddles around the house and in the motorhome that any mortal man needs. The thing is that they all use propane, wood, wood pellets or electricity. I want a good, old fashioned charcoal grill.

I started doing some research but things have changed a lot since my last charcoal grill 12 years ago. I consulted my expert, my S-I-L, who probably has over 15 different kinds of grill. She collects the things, every year a new grill! Her latest passion is the mini Big Green Egg. She only cooks for one and I'll be cooking for two most times but that thing looks really small on the inside and it is heavy for the size of it. No, I want something that is light, easy to move around and preferably comes with a stand of some sort. I used to have a Weber and it was great but I don't know if the quality is still as good as it was, it lasted well over 10 years, or if it has dropped since then.

This grill will be used at the house and needs to be small/medium in size. There are so many different types and styles these days that I admit I'm a little confused. Any help, recommendations or advice would be welcome.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry no clue.

I have not used a charcoal grill for a couple of decades.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There is only one floating buoy I would buy....

A Weber kettle grill. I have been enjoying them for decades. Portable and light weight, they have done a fantastic job for generations.

And yes once they were a floating buoy, true story....

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry no clue.

I have not used a charcoal grill for a couple of decades.

Me neither, it's been a long time, but I just got thinking about the flavor I used to get from a charcoal grill, much better than gas. I also got to thinking about what a pain in the butt that it used to be to clean. Still, there's really only two of us any more with the occasional use for perhaps eight but for that I'll probably use the "family" sized gas grill.

I need to get rid of the big gas grill that we used to use when we had 40 or 50 people over at the house. Those days are long gone.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Bamby

8daa047d-03fb-40f8-b6fa-f3c23d8285bd_1.7f232fa9b2299845c3afb6470eb9d6f2.jpeg

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H) 20.12 x 11.75 x 9.75 Inches

Sold & shipped by Walmart $97.90

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Got to say that the first thing that came to mind when he said CHARCOAL was a hibachi style grill. LODGE, which is American made cast iron, is good stuff. We have a couple pieces of it and it is built to last for generations.

Bannedjoe

Weber kettle.

No contest, unless you want to spend a bunch more, then a green egg is famous for both grilling and smoking, but I can do both on a weber.

Last edited:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to grill for myself with charcoal, but that was years ago.
Now don't even mention the c word around my son Ty.
He's become quite the grill master with a wood smoker and grill.
When I lived with them during that July 4th cookout, I mentioned missing the taste of a good charcoal grilled steak.
It's a wonder he didn't throw me in the river.
2rofl.gif

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Bamby, I have a Hibachi style grill. I think that it's down in the barn. Those things are a lot more difficult to cook on than you would imagine or it might just be me that's useless on it. I always seem to get it too hot, 'way too hot. It's great for my wife who likes her beef "blue". You throw it on, count to 10, turn it over, count to 10 and put it on her plate. I like mine a little more done than that but to get it the way I want it on the inside, the outside is crispy critters. I think that I use too much charcoal in it. I just could never get it right. I may dig it out and give it another try.

I found one from Portable Kitchen that I may try or I may go basic with a small Weber kettle. We'll see. I'm still thinking about it.

Bannedjoe

I may try or I may go basic with a small Weber kettle. We'll see. I'm still thinking about it.

When I was driving a semi for a living, I tried as much as possible to not eat in the truck stops.
I carried a baby Weber in the side box of the sleeper, and a few days worth of grub in a 12 volt cooler.
The "Smokey Joe" as it was called, served quite well for feeding two people.

I'd set that grill right beside my truck, summer or winter, fire it up and cook us dinner.
People would walk by on their way into the truck stop for an overpriced crappy meal saying, look at that idiot out here grilling....But damn that smells good!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too am a fan of the Lodge hibichi style. There's a damper door to control air flow and temperature.

Whatever you get, I'd like to suggest you consider a charcoal chimney starter like what's pictured below. You put some paper in the bottom, pour on your charcoal and start it. It'll get your charcoal hot much quicker and will get all briquettes hot so you'll have an even heat. Once it's hot, you just pour it in your grill.

beau_jardin_charcoal_chimney_starter_1.jpg

Bamby

Well you printed small, light, and easily moved and deal with....

At this time I'm using a Char Griller Acorn Jr. and I'm still learning how to use it. It is also small and very easy on charcoal consumption to boot. After cook shut draft down and all remaining charcoal smolders and goes out and there to use to start the next cook.

I sort of have a love / hate relationship with it yet but yea I'm still learning. What ones got to watch out for is the fact that this thing can get hotter than the dickens if you ain't a paying attention and a person could quickly find themselves partaking a cremation ceremony instead of a steak.

You mentioned easily moved about I suppose to different points of use. Well it could be but it's a tall and tipsy unit with all it's weight up top, and it's just heavy enough I would't want to port it to far.

482902ba-419d-4f46-8b65-8fee76aae8fe_1.257db3bd618316f381476143646fdf35.jpeg

Char-Griller AKORN Jr. Kamado Charcoal Grill
Average rating:4.6out of5stars, based on93reviews93 reviews
Char-GrillerWalmart # 556624782
$149.00 WAS $158.00

Bannedjoe

I too am a fan of the Lodge hibichi style. There's a damper door to control air flow and temperature.

Whatever you get, I'd like to suggest you consider a charcoal chimney starter like what's pictured below. You put some paper in the bottom, pour on your charcoal and start it. It'll get your charcoal hot much quicker and will get all briquettes hot so you'll have an even heat. Once it's hot, you just pour it in your grill.

beau_jardin_charcoal_chimney_starter_1.jpg

Charcoal chimneys are the only way to go.
I probably save $100 a year on lighter fluid, and you don't get that awful taste.
Plus they do indeed start the coals much faster, unless of course you're doing it wrong.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.59.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.59.55 AM.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 154

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Strangely enough, I have never tried a charcoal chimney. I have tried and still have an electric starter though, if I can only find it again. It's been a while.

Bamby, my S-I-L has a mini Big Green Egg and loves it but it is small and heavy. I don't know what she will "love" next year. I have a friend who has a Big Green Egg, a large one. Again, he loves it but says that the one mistake never to make is let it get too hot too hot as it takes forever to cool back down. It is so well insulated. I reread your post and the price at Walmart isn't too bad if it doesn't work out so that's back in to consideration.

I'm coming around to the idea of the Weber Smokey Joe style of grill. I already have a small gas grill and a gas griddle that are used with the RV. A small kettle type charcoal grill might compliment those for campout cooking which we do a lot of when on the road.

Last edited:

Bannedjoe

Strangely enough, I have never tried a charcoal chimney. I have tried and still have an electric starter though, if I can only find it again. It's been a while.

The above pic is the wrong way to do it.
The right way is crumpled newspaper in the bottom of the chimney. :)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Whatever you decide to buy, use real hardwood lumo charcoal, not the Kingsford type crap.
Burns hotter and tastes much better.

Bannedjoe

Whatever you decide to buy, use real hardwood lumo charcoal, not the Kingsford type crap.
Burns hotter and tastes much better.

There's way worse than Kingsford.

I remember getting a few bags of some store brand on sale that smelled like burning plastic.