• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Asparagus irrigation

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Made this up for our row of asparagus. I control flow with the valve at the tee, drilled 5/32" holes at each plant. Our garden has a slight slope so had to block up the lower end w/ bricks to keep the same flow from the holes. It will make watering a lot easier this summer w/ our low humidity. I'll put a hose washer w/ screen in the connector to keep out bugs and debris. W/ our hard water I probably should install a threaded cap on each end so I can drain it else mineral will build up inside and start plugging the holes.
Mike

Attachments

• asparagus 001 (Small).JPG
    asparagus 001 (Small).JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 26
  • asparagus 002 (Small).JPG
    asparagus 002 (Small).JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 26

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Not a bad set up. I hope you have many years of delicious growth to feed you and your family.

My asparagus bed is almost 20-years old and I don't know what happened this year but most of the plants failed to produce. Usually at this time of year I've eaten so much asparagus that I'm getting a little tired of it. I don't know what to do!!! Do I dig it all up, replant and start again or just sprig in some new plants and wait a couple of years. I've got to make a decision pretty quick.

Leni

Asparagus is a 20 year plant. They have probably died of old age. Time to dig up and start over. Next time start replacing a few at a time when you close to 20 years.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
No, Leni, they're 2 yr roots planted 3 yrs ago. We should start getting a good crop this year. There's 4 shoots coming up now. Our spring comes a lot later than yours, especially at an altitude of 5700'. I imagine we'll see the end of our lives before the asparagus sees it's end.
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
No, Leni, they're 2 yr roots planted 3 yrs ago. We should start getting a good crop this year. There's 4 shoots coming up now. Our spring comes a lot later than yours, especially at an altitude of 5700'. I imagine we'll see the end of our lives before the asparagus sees it's end.
Mike

I think that she's talking about my plants, not yours. You have many years of happy cutting ahead of you.

I didn't know they were 20-year plants. I had an asparagus bed in Dallas for 13 years and I planted the one here before we even moved in so that makes it right at 19-years and counting. I can't do without my asparagus so I'll probably pick up some plants and get them in the ground.

Leni

You are correct ETF. I was talking about your plants. Asparagus and artichoke are among the few perennial vegetables. They have a life span of around 20 years. Time to plant some new ones.