• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Vs Snow Master

barj

HI I'm a new member on the Snowcat Forums site. I'm looking to purchase a Snow Trac or Snow Master but there's a question I can't find any info on re: discussing the differences between the Snow Trac's and the Snow Master's performance in snow. I'm assuming that the Snow Master performs significantly better (wider longer tracks) in deep snow compared to the Snow Trac. True? and.... how deep is too deep for these machines? Thanks.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
True, Snot Master is suppose to be better. Though they both suck compared to a Kristi. :rolleyes:

Snow consistency is probably a bigger factor than purely 'how deep'.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Wet, dry, packed, fluffy, crusty, sugary, etc. Eskimos have a bunch of names for all of the different consistencies of snow, and a machine is going to perform differently in each.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Despite the obvious bias by Bobcat in his answers, he is basically correct (except for the spelling of SNOW TRAC).

In theory NO SNOW IS TOO DEEP. But that is theory.

The wide tracks on the Snow Master or Trac Master (the older name for the Snow Master) allow for better performance in very light powdery/fluffy snow. The narrow tracks of the Snow Trac will require the engine to work harder to keep the snowcat moving under the same conditions. The Snow Trac will eat more fuel because it will be working harder. This would be true of any comparison between any 2 similar wide -vs- narrow track machines.

In most areas, except for fine light powder, the Snow Trac will be fine. High mountain areas with light powder are much better suited to the Snow Master/Trac Master because the tracks have far more surface area to contact the snow.

What type of snow conditions do you encounter?

barj

Depends.... I'm in Canada (Ontario) and our house is situated West of lake Huron and South of Georgian Bay so depending on wind direction we can and do get significant amounts of lake effect snow off both bodies of water. Pus, all other winter storms. Snow type varies with temperature. Today it's -24 so snow is light and fluffy but by next week it could be deep and heavy.

I'm a Volkswagen fan and have had many over the years so when it came time to look for a Snowcat I was drawn to the Snow Trac. Our house is quite remote so the debate (in my own mind) comes from trying to find/figure out which Snow Trac will get me where I need to go for fun or an emergency .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Given your location I suspect that you will find Snow Tracs in your area. Most of the Snow Masters seem to be in the high altitude locations of the world, many are in the Rocky and Cascade Mountain ranges. East of there I rarely see Snow Masters, but I know of a few that are scattered around the eastern part of North America.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
True, Snot Master is suppose to be better. Though they both suck compared to a Kristi. :rolleyes:

Snow consistency is probably a bigger factor than purely 'how deep'.

Comments from the peanut gallery........

Don't worry too much about Bobcat(he's just jealous cuz he doesn't own a snowtrac)

tomelroy

If you only get on machine go with the Snow Master, that way you are covered for the deeper powder and will be ok on the heavy stuff.

Better yet get both!

pezman

Hi! new guy in Indiana. I too have a snow master/ trac master. I'm in the process of doing a complete tear down, but think I just might have to buy a standard snow trac as well:). I understand that the trac master is not good for driving on grass (detracking)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I understand that the trac master is not good for driving on grass (detracking)

Yup, don't make any sharp turns on the lawn!!! W_i_d_e arcing turns are the best you can hope for on the grass. Even a Snow Trac can detrack on the lawn. I've driven mine on the lawn but it is not really something you want to do if you need to maneuver in tight spots. The longer the grass and the harder the ground the better, the longer grass seems to provide slip, and the hard ground doesn't let the tracks bite into the ground. Still, when driving on grass it is advised that you take it slow and easy with wide turns.

I've had no trouble driving on asphalt, gravel or sand.

barj

I don't think I'll be driving it in the summer much and if I do it'll be in hay fields or wild grass (all long). I've seen mention of the tracks coming off.... if this does happen do you have to split the track to get it back on?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
.... if this does happen do you have to split the track to get it back on?

As its never happened to me, I'll plead ignorance. But I suspect if you drive out of your tracks then it would probably be easiest to split them to get them back on.

I have seriously considered modifying my tracks to make them more grass friendly, basically to turn them into all season tracks. I'd get a little bit less grip in the snow, but honestly in the midwest that should not be a big issue.

barj

Where in the midwest are you located B Skurka and what got you interested in Snow Trac's? I've seen a few of your Posts so I know you imported yours from England.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in Northwest Indiana, just south of Lake Michigan.

What got me interested . . . I blame Matchbox toys for that.

pezman

I too blame Matchbox! Finally got one of my own last week (Matchbox that is). Had one as a kid, always wanted the real thing since then. Now I have both!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too blame Matchbox! Finally got one of my own last week (Matchbox that is). Had one as a kid, always wanted the real thing since then. Now I have both!
Uh, not to burst your bubble, but you are not done collecting just yet.

Matchbox made 3 different Snow Trac variants :clap:
One with Die Cast "Snow Trac" on the sides.
One with plain sides.
One with white decals over plain sides that read "Snow Trac".

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I prefer the Snow Trac over it's wider, slower cousin's the Trac Master and the Snow Master. A Snow Trac will do 25MPH, the 'Masters' top out at 13MPH. The wide track machine is certainly one of the most agressive Cats built, but is difficult to transport, being 8ft.6inch wide. The Snow Trac is only 6ft 3inch and fits nicely on a car trailer between the wheels rather than over the wheels. If you have a long approach into a cabin, and the trail is resonably flat terraine, a Snow Trac will get you there in any snow depth, and faster. If you have Steep or rough terraine and not too far a distance to travel, then the Snow Master.

mtmogs

I've never driven in a Snow/Track Master so I can't judge their performance. Having said that, I've never been able to get the Snow Track stuck. I remember the first time I plunged the ST off the trail into deep powder. It sunk, nose down, up over the hood and I thought I was stuck for sure. This was in an area that I was sticking my wide-track Yamaha VK540 just a few days before. The snow was so deep and fluffy, and offered so little support that if I didn't balance just right I'd start tipping sideways and then it was break-out-the-shovel time. But the ST just kept right on churning, snow coming up over the hood and streaming over the windshield and cab. Steering was not great in the stuff, and I had to execute sharp, uphill turns with some planning and backing-up at switchback turns like the manual advises, but I couldn't get the thing stuck. Of course once the trail was broken, it was smooth sailing and you could cruise along at near top speed.

It's my feeling that if you routinely have to deal with very deep, fresh, western powder on steep terrain then the Snow Master would be best. I think the ST4 is more than capable of handling most other conditions.

I prefer the Snow Trac over it's wider, slower cousin's the Trac Master and the Snow Master. A Snow Trac will do 25MPH, the 'Masters' top out at 13MPH. The wide track machine is certainly one of the most agressive Cats built, but is difficult to transport, being 8ft.6inch wide. The Snow Trac is only 6ft 3inch and fits nicely on a car trailer between the wheels rather than over the wheels. If you have a long approach into a cabin, and the trail is resonably flat terraine, a Snow Trac will get you there in any snow depth, and faster. If you have Steep or rough terraine and not too far a distance to travel, then the Snow Master.