• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Moles?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Good grief!
Looks like we're going to have to do something about it.
Time to contact the varmint cong!:yum:

Attachments

• 20180215_120515.jpg
    20180215_120515.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180215_120440.jpg
    20180215_120440.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 100

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
These are pretty easy to use and work well for me:
https://cinchtraps.com/

They just don't last more than a year outside unless you take really good care of them.

The instructions say to dig down and place them in the ground but I usually just rake the dirt off the freshest mounds and open up the hole to the tunnel and cram the neck of the trap down in the hole. Seems to get them good enough and you don't have to do all the digging.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
These are pretty easy to use and work well for me:
https://cinchtraps.com/

They just don't last more than a year outside unless you take really good care of them.

The instructions say to dig down and place them in the ground but I usually just rake the dirt off the freshest mounds and open up the hole to the tunnel and cram the neck of the trap down in the hole. Seems to get them good enough and you don't have to do all the digging.
Thanks PB... I'll show this to my son.
They only seem to be on the front part of the property near the road.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my shotgun trap works fine but public places or city would be a problem.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
PG

The reason the moles are there is because of a food source. Do you get what we call June Bugs (somewhat large brown beetle) there? If you do, the lawn has "grubs" and needs treated for them. Since I discovered this, I hardly have to deal with the buggers. And you don't have to treat for them every year either, I notice.

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Kirk :smile:
We were told it was because the soil is sandy underneath too.
We have those Japanese Orange beetles everywhere...look like a lady bug.

There aren't any of them on the other side of the house, just up the hill and down near the road, but they are also all along this stretch of road for miles.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
well, i saw 'moles', so my mind says, 'dermatology'-- then thought 'could be pre-cancer'-- then i said, ah, moles-- those kind--

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Kirk :smile:
We have those Japanese Orange beetles everywhere...look like a lady bug.

June bugs emerge form the soil some time in June, hence the name. They are much larger than the beetles you are describing. My bet is that you have them as well. They congregate near yard lights in the evening, and motorcyclist really don't like them because they are big enough they hurt when hit. That are the size of a dime at least.

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
June bugs emerge form the soil some time in June, hence the name. They are much larger than the beetles you are describing. My bet is that you have them as well. They congregate near yard lights in the evening, and motorcyclist really don't like them because they are big enough they hurt when hit. That are the size of a dime at least.

Regards, Kirk
I'm sure those will show up soon.
I meant the Asian beetle, the ones that look like a lady bug.
We also have those stink bugs like crazy. :hammer:
They smell like mint/pine and kerosene when you smash them.
Don't know how they are getting in the house...but I suspect somewhere through the upstairs because we only see them in the upstairs bathroom and one of the girls room.

There is a dust at the farm store to use for the moles.
Someone mentioned building a barrier with underground chicken wire along the road, and then there is what PB showed.
When this weather breaks it's going to be dealt with.
We've seen them very rarely, but those hills are an eyesore.

Lol Aubrey!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the mesh worked.
:boxing: :thumbup:
Haven't seen any new hills since.

Attachments

• 20180428_082559-614x524.jpg
    20180428_082559-614x524.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 21

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump. Moles have done their damage to my yard.
Poison pellets kind of work. Been using them during the winter. Trick I found was to mark their most current holes (I use little flags) so I know what's current and can place the pellets accordingly.
My new technique is to use the lawn roller. I know I squash their tunnels, not sure if I squash the moles but after rolling the yard, they're gone.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been fighting them on the north side of my home for several years.

Probably going to resort to poison in the spring. I've tried several other options. I don't like poison because other animals can become unintended victims, but maybe it will take out some of the feral cats too?

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had problems at my dad's I dug in (no pun intend) to it and found moles eat grubs I killed the grubs and moles moved on to new territory not my dads lawn

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We had problems at my dad's I dug in (no pun intend) to it and found moles eat grubs I killed the grubs and moles moved on to new territory not my dads lawn
Yeah, that works. And the grub poison can come with fertilizer mix.
What I suffer are voles. But, we have a Cooper's hawk come by frequently to feed on the birds and voles. He seems to have irradicated the Voles.
I did have a mole problem last summer but I roto tilled the ground a about three different times. Raked and grade the dirt. Then I planted a new law and so far, no Moles. But spring is coming soon. We shall see.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have voles and ground squirrels. can't grow any type of vegetable in the ground, little bastards even ate Jalpino plants