• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"Pin" Nail or Finish Nail gun

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm shopping for what was called a 'pin' nailer on the xmas list. I think it is for putting up baseboards and such so that the nailer might be called a finish nailer or brad nailer.
No requirements as to air powered or otherwise.
Looking for brand suggestions & approximate pricing if anyone has experience with these things.

TIA!! :beer:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
A Brad nailer may not be long enough for baseboards and trim. I use a finish nailer for that. I have a pneumatic Bostich nailer that I like.

There are some electric and cordless nailers and I even bought a cheap task force brad nailer at Lowes but it doesn't really have enough power to penetrate anything other than particle board or softwood.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just replaced the baseboards and installed crown in a 2500 sq ft house.

Like PB said, use a finish nailer. I have an old Porter Cable (maybe BN250? I'll look when I am in the shop later) It took @8000 nails for the job and it never missed a beat. Bostich is good and so is Senco.

Jim

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I bought this one last summer and like it very much. It's heavy for everyday use
but for intermittent use it's great

The DC628K Features
• Engine design allows the tool to work as fast as the end user with consistent nail penetration into both soft and hard joints.
• Sequential operating mode allows for precision placement and the bump operating mode provides the user with production speed.
• 6 position dial allows the user to move between applications without having to re-acquire exact depth setting
• Easy access to the nosepiece for the removal of jammed nails without the use of screwdrivers or tool wrenches.
• Contact Trip Lock-Off disables the trigger when not in use and is easy to engage/dis-engage
• Integrated LED lights for long life and durability
• Rear-load magazine offers loading styles which provide versatility to accommodate the end user's preference
• Top cap is impact resistant and easy to remove for troubleshooting
• Reversable belt-hook provides increased portability and versatility on the job-site.
• Increased visibility and durability along with protection for work-surface from the contact-trip.
• Part of the XRP DEWALT Cordless system
• 34 degree angled magazine (up to 110 nails capacity) will accept DEWALT or any competitive brand 34 degree 15GA standard DA type nails.

Specifications
• Voltage 18V V
• Nailer Operating Mode selective
• Nailing rate 4-5 nails/sec
• Nail Diameter 15 Ga DA type gauge
• Magazine Angle 34° degrees
• Nail Length Capacity 1-1/4" - 2-1/2"
• Magazine Capacity up to 110 nails
• Magazine Loading rear - load
• Integrated Belt Hook Yes
• Jam Clearing Yes
• Tool Height 13.8"
• Tool Length 12.5"
• Tool Width 5.0"

Includes
• 1 hour charger
• (1) 18V XRP battery
• reversible belt hook
• no-mar tip
• DEWALT safety glasses
• heavy-duty kit box

DeWALT 1-1/4'' to 2-1/2'' 16 Gauge Finish Nails

Attachments

• DC628K-ss.gif
    DC628K-ss.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 41

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Like others have said, a brad nailer probably won't do it. The brads I've seen around here might be 1 1/4" at the longest. Let's see 1/2" baseboard, 1/2" drywall and you have 1/4" to go into good wood.
I have a Craftsman Finish nailer and use 2 1/2" nails, works good for me.

The last room I did was already carpeted, but I wanted to replace the baseboard complete with 1/4 round. I removed the old and pre-stained the new. Then used a brad nailer to fasten the 1/4 round to the baseboard in 12' lengths. Used the miter saw to cut them to fit. Set them down into the space between the carpet and the wall and used the finish nailer to put them on.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very good info guys. This will come in handy after the 1st of the year when I tackle a basement pool hall project. It is unfinished now, and I've put off tearing into it. I plan to start in Feb or Mar 08.

For this particular gift the finish nailer's I priced are way out of range. But I was in lowes today and they had a little Powermate 100 max psi compressor with a Nailer / Stapler. I know it is light duty but that is what he asked for, and it fit the gift budget. :thumb: Best of all it was 30 bucks off, and today was the last day of the sale. So I snagged one up. :thumb: One more item off the list. :D

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just replaced the baseboards and installed crown in a 2500 sq ft house.

Like PB said, use a finish nailer. I have an old Porter Cable (maybe BN250? I'll look when I am in the shop later) It took @8000 nails for the job and it never missed a beat. Bostich is good and so is Senco.

Jim

Just for the record, it is an FN250 maybe it is because it is a Finish Nailer that will handle up to 2 1/2 inch nails? :pat:

Along the same line my Porter Cable Brad Nailer is a BN125 that uses up to 1 1/4 nails.

Part numbers that actually describe the item. What will they think of next?:D

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just for the record, it is an FN250 maybe it is because it is a Finish Nailer that will handle up to 2 1/2 inch nails? :pat:

Along the same line my Porter Cable Brad Nailer is a BN125 that uses up to 1 1/4 nails.

Part numbers that actually describe the item. What will they think of next?:D
OK, to go one step further.
The "250" in FN250 = 2.50 = length of nail it can handle.
The "125" in BN125 = 1.25 = length of brad it can handle.