• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What wuss would use one of these

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I no longer sleep in tents, on the ground, etc. But when I did, I used a pad that was very similar to that one!!!

Those are great pads. They roll up nicely, compress well and can easily be carried on a back pack. In the old days (before my arthrits beat up my body prematurely) my favored mode of transportation was by foot with a back pack strapped on carrying in everything I needed. The easiest way to enjoy any trip is to make sure you get a good night's sleep. The self inflating pads were a nice way to get a reasonable amount of comfort.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Hell yeah I use one of those. Mine is a Therm-a-rest. After getting lightheaded blowing up an air mattress a couple times, the self inflating pad is fantastic.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
... Cos i do Don't tell anyone...
Oh I won't tell.

But inch and three quarters? What's the world coming to???

SleepDeckM-Claim.jpg

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Hey back when I had a synthetic bag I didn't need no stinking mattress under it! :) (But I don't sleep on snow.)

There was a one-room miner's cabin on the claim when my partner bought it.

About 1974 the FS forced us to take it down (our claim on the minerals doesn't include development rights) - so that's all that remains. That cooking table back by the tree rests on the shell of a cast iron cookstove.

Usually we put guests on the deck and sleep on the ground nearby but on that visit it was just me and older daughter, so we went first class and used the deck. But that is my original 1" Therm-a-rest.

(Well actually I tend to stack a couple of them when I am going to sleep on the ground nowadays. Pure luxury!)

daedong

As most of you know I have done some long camping trips but I am a double wuss . Not only do I use a self inflating mattress I never camp without taking 2 or 3 voltaren a day. I hate pain!:wussie:

mak2

I aint trying to be a tough guy but I never use a pad. I have owned a few and they even gave us one in the USMC. After my first trip to the field I never bothered carrinng it again. I always wake up off of it they seem to cause you to roll off of them. Pine needles, leaves etc seem to work much better for me. Do "normal" people actually sleep on top of that thing all night. Maybe I am just weird?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have one of those self inflating pads in my winter survival kit. They do a great job insulating you from the snow. As far as camping I like the thin 1/2" foam pad. This at least keeps you from tearing you sleeping bag on rocks. I dont like the self inflators for non winter camping. They tend to get holes in them and deflate making them useless.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Best rest pad out there is the Paco pad. Found out about them some time ago when I was out west. As bombproof as you can get, but as the norm, the more nicer an item is, the more space and weight it takes.

I did use a 9oz ridge rest for a 2200 mile hike (under 100 days:D).

Like Bob, I don't sleep on the gound or in tents anymore, getting to old for that crap.

Super Paco Pad
padline.jpg
2" X 28" X 78" Firm Foam Waterproof and Self Inflating After you sleep one night on a Paco Pad, it is hard to imagine using anything else on the river. The problem is getting your friend to lend you one to test out. They are so handy to keep around the house even when you are not on the river. Many customers purchase them as spare bedding for their homes. Each Paco Pad has a water tight air valve that will allow you to roll it up and keep the air from getting inside. Therefore when you want to go to bed, simply press the side release buckles to release the straps, and open the valve. The Pad will inflate itself. It needs no extra air to make it work and a small puncture from a cactus needle or a valve left open will not affect a successful night of sleeping. The foam on the Small, Full, Guide, and Super is extra dense and firm. The density of the foam allows the pad to be rolled up many times without breaking down the foam inside. The Silverback is huge. It has 2 valves, and it has extra dense and extra soft foam. It is the feather bed of outdoor camping pads. Some customers prefer the silverback to their beds at home. Paco Pads provide extra safety on rafts by padding those hard spots where passengers may hit or get pinched when in the middle of a rapid. They provide insulation to coolers. Most of our customers prefer to leave their pads unrolled on the boat during the day, so they can lounge on top of coolers and boxes while riding on the boat. Read more about Paco Pads, how good they are, and who uses them.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Certainly not to say that using a mattress is unacceptable but, it's like needing to take along a generator for your blow dryer....:respect:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
OK CA, you justified using the deck but you ARE using a PINK sleeping bag.
Why does that bother you?

Its origin was the St Vincent de Paul thrift store and it had a Police Evidence tag. I hope it was recovered stolen property and not the scene of some gruesome event. It went to the coin laundry for a cycle in the big washer before I put I into service. I don't believe in ghosts - or have any concern for others' stereotypes. :tiphat:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
It doesn't. I'm just messing with you (like I do Bob with his pink rifle). :poke: :wave: :tiphat: :beer:

Yeah, well you're wrong anyway. The bag on the left appears to be 'strawberry' and the bag on the right is clearly 'fuscia'! :gay:

Wayne

I own three. I bought the original one for backpacking and snow camping. It totally insulates you from the snow, which tends to suck the heat out of the bottom of the sleeping bag. You can actually blow more air into the pad to increass the loft slightly. So it may not be a wuss that uses it, but an idiot like me, that actually goes camping in the snow.

Last edited:

American Woman

Site Supporter
Well....redneck is a redneck and rednecks don't own a mattress for camping.....But, I have one, and we sleep real close....

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I gotta admit, back in the days when I used to go camping and backpacking, I sure as hell used a matress pad. I used 1" foam pads all the way up to the super dooper thermarest 3" pads. They were bulky and a pain to carry but oh so nice to lay on.

These days, I must admit that roughing it means staying at Motel 6. :smile: :smile: :smile:

My son, who still goes camping with the grandkids says he has a new pad that is something like an airbed with down filling. He says it is the most comfortable thing he has ever slept on. Almost as good as his Tempurpedic matress at home.

If these things are anything like the crappy air mattresses I know I would wake up on the ground anyway with my 235 pd frame so why waste the money.