• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best used truck?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm currently in the market to replace the old durango with something a little newer.(2006-2009ish) At this point, I've had chevy's, gmc's, dodges, a couple of POS kia's, and a hyundai.

Any suggestions? Here's what I need:

-6 seater quad cab
-bigger engine(gas)
-able to pull a 31 ft camper(only occasionally)
-I like the 6.5ft box so that leaves out the chevy/gmc quad cab since the half ton wasn't available with crew cab and the longer box.

I've been looking around at a couple different dodge ram 1500s with the 5.7l engine. Also swallowed my pride and looked at a 2008 ford crew cab with the 5.4L. Did a bit of research lately on trucks and the common theme amongst ford owners with the 5.4L engine is that Ford came out with a funky cam phaser setup on their cams to automatically adjust the timing and this is a problem area for the fords and a costly repair when they fail.

I know what the gmc/silverado's are like from that era since I had one before. Not a bad truck that rode ok. The 5.3L engine is tried and true. Front wheel bearing problems were always a common chevy/gmc problem over the years and that didn't change with the newer body style that came out in 2007.

I've tested a 2008 toyota tundra before and was quite impressed with the comfort and power. Not sure on the reliability though. Haven't heard anything on that.

Anyone here have any suggestions on which way to go with a truck around that age? I'm looking at that age since it should bring me around a certain price I'm willing to pay.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the Toyotas are great trucks I think Toyotas goal is to put mechanics out of business. one thing to watch out for on any truck with slanty headlights is the timing belt replace it before it hits a hundred k . if you want to know what is the best truck it would be a gen 1 dodge with cummins turbo diesel it's a truck you can always count on to start and go while still getting around 20 mpg. they don't necessarily ride nice and are a little noisy but for transportation that wont break the bank you can't go wrong. the runner up would be a pre 96 gen 2 with the7100 pump they tend to be more civilized and look better.as far as ford goes my loyalty to ford died in 1979 that leaves you with gm or imports stay away from gm's with automatic or electronic shift 4wd the clutches in the transfer case are prone to failure. other thanthat i would look for the least options you could get and get a nice basic truck the newer Chrysler products seem to be coming on strong and the new hemi engine with its 468 injection system seems pretty reliable and getting their gas engines some out standing economy with out sacrificing fuel mileage while commuting

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No Fords in my stable so I can't comment.

On the GM's, I believe you either get the crew cab and 5.8' box or extended cab and 6.5' box. If you need to have both, I guess the GM's 1/2-tons are out. I took the crew cab and shorter box. I could have swore the neighbor had both the 6.5 and crew cab but it may have been a 3/4 ton

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Tundra is the most reliable and because of that don't be surprised if it is the most expensive option. i wanted to go Tundra when i was in the market back in 09. I only wanted the bigger crew cab and I think 09 was the oldest with the cab I wanted. Those cost in the mid 30's at the time. I could not justify paying that for a truck that I normally don't put that many miles on. So I got an 05 chevy crew cab with the 5.5 bed for half that price. Been happy with that. It tows my 6k + boat just fine. I've had it since April of 09 and only put 27k on it so far.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had an 08 chevy crew cab before. Wasn't a bad truck but only available in the 5.8ft box with crew cab. I swore I'd never buy a ford but that is the one thing that appealed to me is the ability to have the longer 6.5ft box with a crew cab. I just don't trust the engines after what I've read. Like I said, I tried out the toyota before and it was a nice truck with plenty of power. I find that they are few and far between though. Not many used ones out there and the ones that are for sale are fetching a hefty price.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't just Discount Ford for supposed engine issues.

They make a great truck, and the numbers sold are the proof. Only truck out there with the size of cab a big guy can be comfortable in, at least in the F 250 and up series. The 5.4 liter gasser is a long term reliable engine. The Eco boost engines are fine too... and get milage.

Ford is the only sirvior of the so called " great ressesion" and because of what happend I would and will never own a another GM product, ever.... If you were holding GM stock back then, the Government took all of your value and replaced it with long term unfunded debt, to "clear the books" for the "new GM" There is still a pending law suit over that, that could effectively elliminate GM from history, if the old GM prevails...

Dodge is OK but for the front axle issues they never seem to address. Cummins will be history soon in them too, as Fiat industrial is already putting their diesel engine in the Ram 1500 series, and soon will boot Cummins for their very own Ivecco diesel engines. They are very good engines, and Cummins will gain them little and cut profits compared to an in house engine... Fiat owns Ivecco...FYI.

Cummins may find themsleves on the chopping block. They are no longer in any major AG eqiptment, nor Construction equiptment either. Without Dodge, another leg of their table is gone....

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk I will have to agree that the ford ecco boost seems to be a pretty good engine we will see how they hold up in time. as for the triton motors in my opinion junk if you plan on keeping one, especially the spark plug issues and head gasket failures, working in the repair business I have seen more than my share of cam issues with them to. I don't know about front axle issues with dodge trucks I do know of the front axle shift forks on the 4 wd f150's being such a bad wear item ford makes a kit to repair them, but you have to drop the axle to do it, unlike the dana axles used on jeeps to . Yes ford is still an American company and most folks don't keep a vehicle as long as I do, but working in the fleet business like I do I pointed out the problems with fords on the gm products it seems their Achilles heel is lights on the dash lighting up like a747 and their clutch actuated transfer cases not working my town is a gm town and I would bet of the modern vehicles here 50 % of the gm's loose their 4 wd in side of 2 years the other 50 % still have a manual t- case

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My bro has a 2013 ford with the ecoboost. He claims he likes the truck but in 25k kms he's had it back to the dealership several times for various warranty items. I'm not ruling out the fords completely. I'm also looking at trucks around 10 years old up here and noticing where they rust. From what I can tell, the fords start to peel paint over the rear wheels without actually rusting right through. Chev/gm seems to be better in that area but tend to rust at the bottom of the cabs. Most mid 2000 dodges up here are rusted right through over the rear fenders. Heck, I've seen some of the newer model dodges from 2009-2014 with rear fenders rusted right through.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Still undecided as to what to get. Got a line on a good deal on a 2008 dodge ram 1500 with the hemi and 4x4. It's only got 45k kms on it. I could put that on in two years. Dealership is only asking 14500 for it.

Waiting to hear back from another dealership to see what they can offer. If they come back with a comparable truck for similar price it'll be a tough decision.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Still undecided as to what to get. Got a line on a good deal on a 2008 dodge ram 1500 with the hemi and 4x4. It's only got 45k kms on it. I could put that on in two years. Dealership is only asking 14500 for it.

Waiting to hear back from another dealership to see what they can offer. If they come back with a comparable truck for similar price it'll be a tough decision.

01baea9d-53f6-403e-8e96-1a75612a29fd.jpg

Heading out soon to talk to the dealership about numbers etc. I gave it a good once over. Not a mark on the body.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the dodge won out. Was Considering a ford and a chevy also but they both had twice the mileage and cost more. Should be getting it by this weekend. Dealership still has a couple things to do to the truck before I get it since they just got it in and hadn't had the chance to give it the full inspection yet.

My wife has a 2005 GMC envoy XL with the 5.3L engine. It's been a good vehicle so far with no major problems other than routine maintenance. Just out of curiosity I looked up the mile per gallon ratings on it vs the 2008 dodge ram with the 5.7 hemi. Here's what I found:

2005 gmc envoy XL with 5.3L is 13 in the city and 18 on the highway.

2008 dodge ram 1500 with 5.7L hemi is 13 in the city and 17 on the highway. So very comparable overall considering the truck should be a much heavier vehicle. We shall see when I actually get it.

jwstewar

So very comparable overall considering the truck should be a much heavier vehicle. We shall see when I actually get it.

I wouldn't count on the truck being heavier than the Envoy. We had a Trailblazer EXT, and it was pretty daggone heavy for a "midsize". I think it weighed as much or more than my '99 Silverado ECSB 4x4. We traded the Trailblazer for our 2008 Suburban and picked up 1.5 to 2 MPG depending on how driven.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's the thing. All depends on how it's driven on what the mileage will be. Up here. Weather also plays a factor. In the summer driving in the city I can squeeze 400km from a tank in the durango. In the winter im sucking fumes at 300kms. It fairs better on the highway though. I can go close to 550kms highway driving right now. The new to me dodge also has a tonneau cover on the box. Im told that helps with mileage as well but never had one before to confirm this.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In years past, tonneau covers or tailgate open theoretically helped for drag.

New trucks are designed such that the aerodynamics make the wind over the cab blow completely over the bed as well so it doesn't matter much anymore.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
they tried tail gate up and down on myth busters and found down actually used more gas how ever covers and good fitting shells will increase aero dynamics

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Update:

I managed to get financing in place(which wasn't exactly the easiest due to the financial mess the ex left me in a few years ago). Anyway, So I go into the dealership yesteday..again! Been there like 3 times this week since the truck I'm looking at buying hasn't even been gone through yet by the dealership. Basically, it's sitting there with a messed up sensor so I'm told. They've had it on the lot for a month now and haven't so much as moved it or cleaned the interior from the previous owner. At this point I've only sat in it and given it a good visual inspection. No test drive since it's not ready to be driven yet according to the dealership.

So I go in yesterday and the truck still hasn't moved. The sales guy is frustrated too and tells me he's getting the run around from the service department. He brings me in to speak with his manager. They tell me that this morning they will be talking to the service department manager to get me some answers as to when the truck will be ready. I blew a gasket with them and said that if I don't get an answer soon about this truck one way or another I'll be going elsewhere to buy. (I'd prefer this truck though since it has everything I'm looking for and it has way low km's on it for the year). I first went to the dealership December 24th to look at the truck. It hasn't moved and is basically sitting there with a messed up sensor for the multi cylinder displacement system meaning the thing won't run right. I reminded the salesman that this doesn't look good for a dealership like theirs to be advertising a vehicle for sale that can't even be driven. I might add this is the main dodge dealership and not a fly-by-night backyard corner lot somewhere.

So, just to sweeten the deal a bit I will be getting a remote car starter installed as well at the dealerships expense. I'm told the truck is going in today for the required repairs and detailing. We shall see.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just about lost it today on the dealership and basically told them to shove that dodge up their A$$ sideways. I had put a deposit on it a couple weeks ago so nobody else could snag it up. I get a call from the dealer today informing me that they messed up and someone else had already put a deposit on it before I did. The salesman informs me there's still a chance that I could get it if the first person backs out. That's all fine and dandy. So I'm already a little upset over this mess up. I don't hear anything back from them so after work I head over there. When I walk in I get more bad news. Apparently the minor problem they thought was wrong with the truck turned into a major one when they found metal chunks in the oil. Their problem! Not mine. Told them that as a customer this whole deal sucks since they had this truck for over a month now and had it adverstised for sale even though the thing didn't run. Needless to say I'm back to square one.

Going tomorrow after work to look at a 2007 ford f150 supercrew 4x4. Looks to be a decent truck.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Note to self on the ford get the dealer to put in new spark plugs before you take delivery if the plugs are left in for fords recommended service interval you could be in for a big bill trying to get them replaced and rethreading the heads

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Private sale on the ford. I went and looked yesterday. It's in good shape and will be coming home with me either tomorrow or friday. The guy claims he never had problems with anything plug related on it and had it serviced at a dealership to have the plugs changed. It's getting a new windshield and rear tires installed today then off for a safety at the owners expense.

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats!

Once you get it and get used to it (noises in particular), take off that chrome looking bug deflector. I know with mine on, it makes a lot more noise at highway speeds and messes up the aerodynamics. It sounds like pebbles are hitting the windshield and the mirrors have a shimmy.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Private sale on the ford. I went and looked yesterday. It's in good shape and will be coming home with me either tomorrow or friday. The guy claims he never had problems with anything plug related on it and had it serviced at a dealership to have the plugs changed. It's getting a new windshield and rear tires installed today then off for a safety at the owners expense.

.JPG

.JPG

Just like evenrude boat motors if it's white you know you are right.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm gonna have to measure the ride height when I get it tomorrow. I was thinking about a 2" front leveling kit for the suspension to get it riding level but I don't think it'll need it. I'm already shopping for a few little peices of lipstick for it. I'm thinking chrome door handles, mirrors, and tailgate handle. Nothing too crazy. Just a little bling. Who knows, could end up being like putting lipstick on a pig. It is a Ford after all. This is my first ford. All I've ever had was chevy and dodge.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep. you get what you can afford. Not sure what I would get right now if money was no issue and I had the option of any make out there. Had a bad experience with my last chevy. My back is still recovering from the last dodge truck I had back in the late 90's. So not really loyal to any particular brand this time around. Figured I'd give Ford a chance this time since this one rode not bad and seemed fairly comfortable. That 5.4L engine seemed to be a little gutless on the low end when stomping on the gas when compared to my old 5.3L chevy and even this gas guzzling 5.9L in the durango. That's my main complaint with the durango. I didn't pass too many gas stations when on a trip. I averaged 14.3 mpg on the highway with it doing on average 58mph with the cruise set.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
one nice thing about fords they seem to have some pretty nice seats if you have to make a long drive. I still wouldn't own one because I would have to work on it some day. there is no vehicle out there that gives me more reasons to repent on Sunday when I work on them than a ford except maybe a freight liner.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That's one thing I always liked about my dodge. Fairly easy to work on. I've rarely resorted to my special vocabulary that is reserved for the garage when working on it. I usually warn the wife and kids when I'm going out to work on something that they may or may not hear some foul words coming from my mouth.

Funny story on that.....my uncle is a pentecostal pastor. One day he was under his old ford bronco working on something. Every now and then you'd hear him swearing up a storm followed shortly after by "Lord, please forgive me for I have sinned". A few minutes later out come more swear words followed by more repenting.:w00t2:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
one nice thing about fords they seem to have some pretty nice seats if you have to make a long drive.
Interesting. Everyone I've heard of that commented on the Ford seats said the exact opposite.

Didn't BigAl say he loves his King Ranch truck but was considering dumping it because the seats were so uncomfortable?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
ford usually get's high reviews for their seats and the support they provide when compared to the competition in the magazine's. my feeling is they are a little stiff on the super duty trucks even the bench how ever seems to keep you in place well though. we have a mix of trucks in our fleet and the ford is the only seat that doesn't seem to eventually have a lean to the drivers door. one can nitpick all makes to death from the factory. my dodge had a nice cushy bench after one trip down the alcan it was replaced with a bostrom air ride my back needed lumbar support . all the fords I have been in since 90 all seem to have good lumbar support even their bench seats.