• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Small things in life

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
When you're laid up in the hospital for an extended period of time like I am, you start to appreciate the finer things in life. One of those things is certain foods they just never serve here.

My wife just came to visit. One thing I asked for is cheese. They don't serve it in the hospital. I love my cheese. Makes a great snack in the evening. I went without it for a month. My sweet wife was an Angel and brought me up some sliced cheddar. Amazing. Scrumptious. Mouth watering. I've never tasted anything so fine.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Small things make a difference dont they!!!!:biggrin:

couple of years ago..mom snuck in a greasy sonic double berger in to me.......
damn that was good.....:w00t2:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's funny. My wife asked what I would like for supper when I get home. My request. ..fried eggs n bacon.

They serve eggs and sausage occasionally here but its powdered eggs that taste like crap.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I know what you mean. Years ago, when I was in rehab for a month I really missed a bar burger and beer. I asked my family and girlfriend if they would get it for me. No one complied. Finally a buddy showed up with a six pack and two of the best burgers I ever ate. We had a nice visit, but the doctor was not happy. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Another one of man's greatest creations has eluded me for a month. My mouth is watering for a slice of pizza. Mmmmmm

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
In the hospital's defense the lack of cheese could be because so many pain killers constipate folks.
Mike

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
In the hospital's defense the lack of cheese could be because so many pain killers constipate folks.
Mike

true dat ^

Brian, I remember when I was in hospital for my pancreatitis and gallbladder surgery, they'd starved me for days npo, then finally when I had some beef broth, it tasted like filet mignon. lol

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
It's all a ploy,they give you tasteless food to make you go home quicker:yum::yum::yum:

And cheese is a must for me,i always have strong cheddar on standby with some rich sweet on the vine tomatoes.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I understand why they do what they do here. The food isn't all terrible. Mainly the meat that tastes like it was baked in sawdust. And all they serve is chicken, Turkey, and baked talapia fish. Seems like that's generally the menu every day.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Another one of man's greatest creations has eluded me for a month. My mouth is watering for a slice of pizza. Mmmmmm

Thought of you this morning when I saw this on another site......

11751955_10207145341778432_6611021866117813464_n.jpg

One day soon, I'm sure you will be enjoying a slice............:biggrin:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's amazing what you miss when you don't have it.

I've been in this country for 30 years and when I go back to the UK the first thing I do is eat breakfast, not for the sausage, the "great British banger" is terrible, but for the BACON. I really miss British bacon!!!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh. I totally agree. When I was in high school I used to end the year with a two week long canoe trip. At the end of that trip, it was a huge thrill to be able to flush a toilet, turn on a tap etc.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
It's amazing what you miss when you don't have it.

I've been in this country for 30 years and when I go back to the UK the first thing I do is eat breakfast, not for the sausage, the "great British banger" is terrible, but for the BACON. I really miss British bacon!!!!!

What is the difference between bacon here and there????...and how is it made and prepaired??

one of my grandfathers sugar cured...and one salt cured....

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
What is the difference between bacon here and there????...and how is it made and prepaired??

one of my grandfathers sugar cured...and one salt cured....

The British and Americans cut meat differently. American bacon is cut from the belly of the pig. In Britain that is called "streaky bacon" and is usually the cheapest to buy. Usually British bacon is cut from the back of the pig and is cured but not smoked although it can be. It has a lot more meat and a lot less fat and that is why it is not not cooked so crispy as American bacon. The fat layer is about 1/2" running along the length of the rasher just under the skin or rind. The rest is meat. It's somewhat similar to "Canadian bacon" but different as Canadian bacon is more like thinly cut ham with little or no fat at all.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The British and Americans cut meat differently. American bacon is cut from the belly of the pig. In Britain that is called "streaky bacon" and is usually the cheapest to buy. Usually British bacon is cut from the back of the pig and is cured but not smoked although it can be. It has a lot more meat and a lot less fat and that is why it is not not cooked so crispy as American bacon. The fat layer is about 1/2" running along the length of the rasher just under the skin or rind. The rest is meat. It's somewhat similar to "Canadian bacon" but different as Canadian bacon is more like thinly cut ham with little or no fat at all.

:brows: lol

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Another small thing I've come to appreciate is the ability to move freely without pain. Im in a constant state of pain in my back and stomach every time I move now. It definitely gets frustrating at times. Even doing small things around the house hurts.