• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Well its now Official

Ray

As of the first of the month I said screw it.

I am now retired.

My first pension check ( not a damn 401k ) hit my mailbox and I decided to hang it up.

So far its been 8 Saturdays this month. Been feeding the birds, scratchin Homies nuts, and drinking Coonass Coffee on the back porch every mornin!:flowers:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Ray. :clap: :clap:
You forgot to mention peeing off the back porch ....I have a feeling that is also part of your mornin agenda. :D

Kane

Congrats, Ray. Enjoy it.

And one of the few men today with an actual defined benefit pension instead of a 401K. Enjoy that, too.

Ray

thanks yall.
Insurance was my main issue. We will have it now thru my FIL co. that was the last piece of the puzzle. No bills, just living expenses. All our crap is paid for. Just bought a new F150 last month.
And yes its a pension. I get it till I croak, and then Momma gets half of it till she croaks.

too young for SS yet. Just found out today not only do I get my SS but Momma gets some as well. Kewl.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I took my owed vacation pay when I retired and put it into a hobby.
best of luck and enjoy ,
jim

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations! 8 Saturdays is so much better than 8 Mondays that the rest of us working dogs have had.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Ray.

The thing about retirement is that you have to do it while you are still young enough to enjoy it. No sense in waiting until you are 65, old, tired and broken before you hang up the work clothes. Don't throw them away however because you'll find plenty of use for them in retirement.

Retirement also means no week-ends off, no paid overtime and it is a BLAST. Enjoy my friend.

Ray

I could have worked a bit longer. I am only 59 and will have a decent income for the remainder of my life. Plus I have pretty decent savings for any emergencies, and all of the big things, house vehicles etc. are paid off....So I figgered I am ready....

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
If you enjoy it half as much as I have will you will be one happy camper. I too have one of those disappearing pensions not 401K. 40 years IBEW, so that nice NEBF check comes in every month like clockwork.

Congrats. :biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats. Enjoy it while you can. I see soo many people work till they turn 65 then just sit at home waiting to die. That's basically what my grandfather did.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Ray, one thing that I will mention is that you have to develop the "retirement mindset". Quitting work leaves a void when you have worked all your life. For the first month or so that I was retired it was kind of unsettling to know that you had no job to go to. I got over it though ... and quickly. :biggrin: That was followed by the best and possibly happiest 15 years of my, and my wife's, life. If I'd known that it was going to be this much fun I might have done it even sooner.

Andrei

Banned
You have reached the end of the tunnel and now you can enjoy the light.
Time to work for fun only.
Hope to do the same in 4 yrs.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bull shit ! Retirement is much harder than working a 8 to 5 job . Next thing you know you will be fixing something , mowing something , building something , paintin something and it only gets worst cause soon you will be over at your buddys place helping him too . A Plan !!!! You got to have a plan . Enjoy life and go do stuff while you are young enough to enjoy it . Did I mention about a Plan ??
All kidding aside . Enjoy your retirement , but really do have a plan so you will never be bored .
I am always about 10 new projects behind . Not because I have too , but because I want to do them .
Stay active , stay busy , stop to smell the roses . Did I mention about making a plan ?
So happy for you !!! Now go make a plan .......:biggrin:

Leni

Welcome to the ranks of the retired. Big Als advise is right on. After a while you'll wonder how you had time to work. All those things that you put off doing for lack of time and energy are all lined up waiting for you. :smile:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Al and Leni are both right, but you have made a misstatement. You haven't "retired", you've just moved on the a different
full-time career! Wait and see; you'll find we're all right! :w00t2:

Leni

Very true. The big difference is that you can decide not to do it today. Or tomorrow. You set your own schedule. Then of course there is the important person in your life with a list of honey do's with their own ideas about timing.