• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Yellowstone Winter Use Plan

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter

The National Park Service has released a new policy that will regulate winter access to Yellowstone National Park by people riding on snowmobiles and snow coaches.

The policy released Tuesday takes effect starting in the winter of 2014-2015 and moves away from the current strict limits on daily numbers of snowmobiles in Yellowstone.

Instead, the new plan will regulate winter traffic through what's being called, "transportation events." They're defined as one snow coach or a group of up to 10 snowmobiles. Snowmobiles will be allowed to account for no more than 50 daily transportation events

Then starting in 2015, snowmobiles in Yellowstone will need to have the best available pollution-control equipment and snow coaches must be fitted with the best pollution controls by 2016.
http://www.sheridanmedia.com/news/park-service-releases-yellowstone-winter-use-plan67506

The new winter use plan may open up the possibility for private over snow vehicles such as snow cats and larger tracked vehicles registered as snowmobiles in the state of Wyoming as resident or non resident. I talked with a NPS park ranger yesterday that is stationed inside Yellowstone Park at a remote location with his family. He must either utilize the NPS over snow vehicles or his personal snowmobiles to access the outside when the need arises. He is looking to purchase a track system from me for his SUV.

I inquired about the new plan for the future that is outlined above. He thought the larger over snow vehicles would or could be accommodated on the allocation basis used for snow coach tours and private party snowmobiles tours. If anyone is interested I think it would be a good time to open discussions with the NPS to clarify just what can enter Yellowstone as a private vehicle using best available technology that will be required in future years.

The new regulations are a start in opening Yellowstone back up in the winter for more people and at less cost for access with more snowmobiles allowed. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So will things like catalytic converters be required on "snow coaches" and if they apply a "best available" standard then is that the "best available" by today's standards?

Seems that could prevent all/most older machines from being allowed access to the park? Or am I misunderstanding something?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
they let 60's Winnebagos in there in the summer. I don't understand how they can limit what can be in there in the winter. especially if you're just driving your car as in mtntopper's situation.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
just think what kind of an uprising you would have in the summer. If the Park Service started dictating what vehicle you could drive in the park. The 5000 VW Vanagon from the 60's would be outlawed the hippies would go crazy.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I am thinking when they talk "best available technology" that is eliminating the 2 stroke engines completely from use in the park but allowing the newer technology 4 strokes that all snowmoble manufactures are now offering. I thought that was a done deal already. As to how they would handle a snow cat that is 40+ years old I have no idea at this time. I am hoping this s a real start to just open up more options so more people can view Yellowstone in the wintertime at less cost than now.

The inquiry from the Park Ranger was not expected. I was not very will prepared to ask detail questions but used generalities to open discussion. He did not see why the tracked SUV could not be accommodated but it would still have to fall withing the limits of number of visitors per day. I joked to him so would one tracked SUV type vehicle eliminate 5 snow mobiles and he just laughed?

It is hard to answer your question as many of the rules and regulations bureaucrats use can be twisted and turned either for or against depending on the person doing the interpretation that day. I doubt that the NPS has put any real thought so far into private larger over snow vehicle traffic in Yellowstone.

Cletis

"A new pilot program will let one non-commercial guide take up to four guests daily through each gate. Details of that program will be worked out later, but guides must pass an online course, and will use a government web site to reserve entry dates based on a lottery system".

I'd be willing to bet that with this lottery system, once worked out, there will be a non refunded application fee.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
More info on the new use plan: http://www.yellowstonegate.com/2013...vel-in-yellowstone-gains-widespread-approval/

CODY, WYO. — After more than 15 years of contentious debate over snowmobile travel in Yellowstone National Park, the National Park Service on Tuesday released a final winter-use plan that appears to have a solid chance of avoiding legal challenges.

The latest plan follows six previous failed attempts and a total of more than 1.1 million public comments. Environmental groups have said snowmobiles are loud, dirty and stressful for animals. Tour operators have said increasing travel restrictions have made it difficult to stay in business.
But those objections appear largely addressed in the new plan, which could govern over-snow travel in Yellowstone for the next 15-20 years.

Winter use for 2013-14 will follow the same rules as the past four years, with up to 318 snowmobiles and 78 snow coaches allowed in the park each day
The 2014-15 winter season will see traffic managed under a new process that governs so-called “transportation events.” The system encourages what park managers say will be a “market-based approach” in determining the mix of snowmobiles and snow coaches in the park each day.

“It shouldn’t matter whether it’s a snowmobile or a snow coach,” Yellowstone Superintendent Dan Wenk said in a Tuesday morning phone interview with Yellowstone Gate. “What should matter is how we provide access with the least amount of impact to the resources.”

That approach seems to be resonating well with winter tour operators, environmental groups, elected officials and the public. While earlier plans have drawn lawsuits and bitter public debate, no past litigants appear poised to challenge the current plan, Wenk said.

The final plan closely mirrors a draft version released last year. It will manage snowmobile and snow coach traffic by allowing up to 110 so-called “transportation events” each day. A transportation event is defined as one snow coach or a group of up to 10 snowmobiles, averaging seven seasonally.

On average, over the course of an entire season, the plan allows for average daily limits of approximately 50 groups of around seven snowmobiles each and a total of 60 snow coaches entering one-at-a-time.
Commercial tour operators will be able to use their allocated transportation events for snowmobiles, snow coaches or a mix of both.
New program

A new pilot program will let one non-commercial guide take up to four guests daily through each gate. Details of that program will be worked out later, but guides must pass an online course, and will use a government web site to reserve entry dates based on a lottery system.

New best-available-technology standards will be required for snowmobiles by the 2015-16 season, and for snow coaches by the winter of 2016-17.
Travel over Sylvan Pass between the East Gate and Fishing Bridge will continue under existing guidelines.

Compared to the existing plan, Wenk said the new scheme will allow for winter operations that are cleaner, quieter and less stressful for wildlife while increasing the overall potential limits for visitors in the park.
Tim Stevens, Northern Rockies regional director for the National Parks Conservation Association, said the park service “has hit the sweet spot” in crafting a plan that is acceptable across a wide range of diverse interests.
Stevens praised Wenk for “resolving this very thorny issue by bringing a completely different perspective with a unique, problem-solving approach” that involved “genuine engagement” with all parties.

While the Association disagrees with elements of the plan that maintain access over Sylvan Pass and allow for non-commercial guides, Stevens said those were “relatively minor issues compared to the big picture.”
The Bozeman, Mont.-based Greater Yellowstone Coalition, which has sued over objections to prior winter-use plans, appears unlikely to challenge this one.

Executive Director Caroline Byrd said the plan is “a significant step in the right direction” in efforts to protect the park’s wildlife, air quality and visitor experiences.

Wenk said the plan has met with approval thus far because managers sought additional scientific data on key issues, and worked to meet early and often with anyone who expressed an interest.
Financial hurdles

Gary Fales, the lone snowmobile guide serving the Cody, Wyo. area at Yellowstone’s East Gate, said that Wenk “came in with an open mind and figured out a solution that’s probably the best plan there can be considering the circumstances.”

But complying with the park’s best-available-technology requirements means upgrading to new snowmobiles in two years, Fales said—a high financial hurdle for small operators.

Another issue that concerns some operators is how the Park Service will award new concessions contracts for winter travel.

All permits and contracts for winter travel expire in March 2014, and operators must make new applications for contracts that will start in December 2014. Unlike in past years, each applicant will be expected to provide both snow coach and snowmobile services as part of the market-based approach encouraged under the new plan.

Because many current providers operate either snowmobiles or snow coaches, but not both, “that is going to greatly complicate a lot of people’s lives,” said Clyde Seely, owner of See Yellowstone in West Yellowstone, Mont.

Seely and other tour operators heard details of the new plan Tuesday during a conference call with Wenk.

With a push to have new contracts approved by the spring, that doesn’t leave much time for small operators to budget for new machines or consider partnering with others, he said.

But the concessions process is separate from the winter-use rule, Seely said, and the Park Service has some flexibility in requesting proposals from operators.

Seely said he expected operators to voice their concerns about being required to offer both snowmobiles and snow coaches at meetings with the Park Service scheduled later this month in West Yellowstone and Jackson, Wyo.

“But aside from that, I believe the implementation of this new rule will be advantageous to both the public and the operators,” he said. “I don’t want to see that held up one more year.”

Contact Yellowstone Gate at 307-213-9818 or info@yellowstonegate.com.