• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Monopoly turns 80 Today!

One of America’s favorite games marks a major milestone Thursday.

It was 80 years ago on this day that Charles Darrow invented Monopoly in Philadelphia. The game of fame and fortune set in Atlantic City was played on an oil cloth on Darrow's kitchen table.

Darrow eventually started making copies of Monopoly and selling them to other people. Earlier this year, Monopoly fans voted to get rid of the iron token and replace it with a cat.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/03/monopoly-turns-80-85986.html

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Makes me wanna go out and buy 4 hotels and a RR. :thumb: :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember when it came out. I was a teenager...

Didn't they use the game to pass secrets to POW's during WW II?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Pre TV days in the UK (late 50's) we used to play it all the time. We had a different board from you guys though. Ours was based on London (where else).

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
While at Coast Guard HQ in DC I picked up a copy of Coast Guard Monopoly. Really!! The blurb on the back of the box
reads:

Honor, Respect, Devotion to Duty. Celebrate over 200 years of military and maritime service in this U.S. Coast Guard edition of
the MONOPOLY game. Buy, sell and trade the U.S. Coast Guard's most prized assets including Diamond Head
Lighthouse, USCGC Juniper, and the HH-65 Dolphin in an effort to protect U.S. Homeland Security. Work hard and move up in
the ranks by attending the Coast Guard Academy and Training Centers. It's time to get underway, Advance to GO! Includes 6
collectible pewter tokens: Eagle Tall Ship, Cutter, Anchor, Life Ring, Helicopter, and Lighthouse.

One of my Prized Possessions!! :clap:

51YGwGJFQpL._SX385_.jpg

Last edited: