• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

pasta

snow dog

Hey cooks,

What is the best way to cook Pasta ?

Is that thing called Pasta boat a good deal ?

Help me

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I simply use a pot that will hold enough water for the amount of pasta. Now I bring that to a boil and add some kosher salt or sea salt. I use a good amount of salt also since the pasta doesn't absorb it. Now once it come to a boil (rolling) again I add the pasta. Now if fresh it is done in about 2 to 3 minutes if dried (store bought in boxes) follow the instructions on the box which is usually about 12 minutes. I then drain the pasta and while hot salt it a bit more or as to taste.

Now as for a pasta boat never heard of it but it is the way my grandmother did and how I've done it my whole life. Oh and one other tip if you are using it with a sauce (red for example) keep some sauce warm on in a pan on the stove the put your pasta in it and mix it well for a couple more minutes. Then serve and you can use a little olive oil on pasta to keep it from sticking once drained. I don't add oil to the water.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I add it to the boiling water, cover it, then turn off the heat.
Give it about 10-12 minutes, or you add 1 minute to the cooking time for the type you're making.
Works fine every time.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I use a microwave steamer.
dump in pasta, cover so there's 1.5" of water above it.
nuke on high for 6 minutes, stir, cover & let sit 5 minutes
nuke on high 3 minutes, stir, cover and let sit 3 more minutes - check to see if it's done.
if not done, stir, cover, nuke for another minute, drain, and add sauce or chili.
stir, cover, nuke 1 last minute to heat the sauce.
dish into bowls that do not contain lead or cadmium (but mercury is apparently OK) sprinkle shredded cheese over the top, eat.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a microwave steamer.
dump in pasta, cover so there's 1.5" of water above it.
nuke on high for 6 minutes, stir, cover & let sit 5 minutes
nuke on high 3 minutes, stir, cover and let sit 3 more minutes - check to see if it's done.
if not done, stir, cover, nuke for another minute, drain, and add sauce or chili.
stir, cover, nuke 1 last minute to heat the sauce.
dish into bowls that do not contain lead or cadmium (but mercury is apparently OK) sprinkle shredded cheese over the top, eat.
Only if it comes from the Chi-Coms.:hammer::hammer::hammer::yum::yum::yum:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting how many different ways people prepare pasta. For us, the most important thing is that the pasta is al dente. We simply drain the pasta and plate it, not rinsing it in the process. Rinsing will stop the cooking process. We prefer to let the residual heat in the pasta to finish cooking it while plating and serving. If pasta cooks too long, it becomes mushy, and many people don't like that texture (us among them). Having said that, I'll sure there is someone out there who really DOES like mushy pasta.:yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting how many different ways people prepare pasta. For us, the most important thing is that the pasta is al dente. We simply drain the pasta and plate it, not rinsing it in the process. Rinsing will stop the cooking process. We prefer to let the residual heat in the pasta to finish cooking it while plating and serving. If pasta cooks too long, it becomes mushy, and many people don't like that texture (us among them). Having said that, I'll sure there is someone out there who really DOES like mushy pasta.:yum:
I never rinse mine either , just strain it dump it back into the pot and ussually add sauces , meats or whatever else, as most things I fix are more of a cassarole type dish .

But I never claimed to be a chef & nothing I fix ever tastes the same twice , I do do recipes or use measuring devices . Lucky for us we aint picky eaters either :wink:

snow dog

I simply use a pot that will hold enough water for the amount of pasta. Now I bring that to a boil and add some kosher salt or sea salt. I use a good amount of salt also since the pasta doesn't absorb it. Now once it come to a boil (rolling) again I add the pasta. Now if fresh it is done in about 2 to 3 minutes if dried (store bought in boxes) follow the instructions on the box which is usually about 12 minutes. I then drain the pasta and while hot salt it a bit more or as to taste.

Now as for a pasta boat never heard of it but it is the way my grandmother did and how I've done it my whole life. Oh and one other tip if you are using it with a sauce (red for example) keep some sauce warm on in a pan on the stove the put your pasta in it and mix it well for a couple more minutes. Then serve and you can use a little olive oil on pasta to keep it from sticking once drained. I don't add oil to the water.

I have always done it like this, But don't know why, thanks :clap:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
That is our feeling too.

Pasta sure is good fresh too; ie homemade. We wore out a machine some years back. A while back, we got the attachment to the Kitchen-Aid. We do not use it as often as we used the machine. Sure is good when we do take the time.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
That is our feeling too.

Pasta sure is good fresh too; ie homemade. We wore out a machine some years back. A while back, we got the attachment to the Kitchen-Aid. We do not use it as often as we used the machine. Sure is good when we do take the time.

I made fresh pasta for dinner tonight. 1/2C stoneground whole wheat flour and 1/2C white flour, 1T basil, 1 egg, a healthy pinch of salt, 1T EVOO and enough water to bring together. It cooks for less than 2 minutes and it's done.

Fettuchini010711.jpg

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes Joe fresh pasta is a different thing altogether. I've made it myself many times before as well as bought it. It is better than the dried but not practical for something in a hurry.