• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I wrote a little article,

AdkSnowcat

My Tucker has been on the pickup list for repair for three weeks now. Things just go slowly sometimes. Hope I have fixed it by winter! Things seem to be happening in my little part of the snowcat world.

AdkSnowcat

Thank you very much for the kind words! It's really nice to hear them!

I enjoy seeing the paintings every day. That keeps them on my mind. I use oil paints. Over the years I have changed the styles now and then. Always oil paint though. My favorite now is painting on linen. I guess I have been doing that for a few years. Sometimes canvas though.

Lots of times I take a snowcat and place it in a different background. And then I alter that too sometimes. I keep trying to get good colors. Lately I'm trying to mix new colors (actually very old colors from different architectural palettes from around the world). I'm trying to tune the tonal values together too. I mean I'm trying to keep darks and lights that aren't too extreme. That seems to me to be a little more harmonious. Lots to learn. I experiment a lot.

Now that I think about it four to five years ago I was doing snowcat underpaintings using acrylic paints. I was doing layer paintings with transparent oils. I'd paint an acrylic scene (after I drew the snowcat using pencil). Then paint over the acrylic paint scene with oil paints until a pleasing color/value could be seen. You always had to let the oils dry though before adding the next layer.

The underpaintings were usually super bold versions of the colors or the complementary colors (opposite side of the color wheel from the surface colors). You can see this influence a little in the articles's Snow-Master painting that has the snowcat driving towards the viewer.

It was great fun doing the underpaintings! They went really fast with wild colors. Acrylics dry really quickly. So you paint for color not so much super edge accuracy. Although I sure tried to be exact. I photographed some of the underpaintings because they were so vivid. I didn't really think people would really take to that though. It was kind of thrilling to paint though. I eventually switched from layers though because the paintings took three times as long to finish.

Now I usually tone the linen with the complementary color of the dominant subject or background color.

Now I'm thinking maybe I can once again request some really good snowcat photos? I'm running out--or I can never have enough. Or if there are any really good landscape photos of snowy scenes? I'm really out of those photos! If anybody has any that they wouldn't mind me using maybe they can be e-mailed, PMed or something? Thanks for that!

And thank you both again for the wonderful words!

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Adk-snowcat - Every time I tried oil paints I made a sloppy mess so I really have to commend you on your paintings. I never would have thought of using acrylics for an undercoat. That's a great idea.

AdkSnowcat

Thank you!

You can put the oils on acrylics but you can't put acrylics on the oils. I never used the acrylics on the actual snowcats just on the surrounding backgrounds.

I used pretty sharp edged brushes for the acrylic paint.

Painting wet oils on top of wet oils takes some practice. It also takes a lot of patience to let the oils dry before putting on another layer of paint. You can put a thin layer of oil paint as first layer then use thicker paint on top. Then the bottom layer will be a little more stable before it dries. It is easier then to put more wet paint on top.