• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

MAGAZINE ARTICLE: VolksWorld Article about Bob's Snow Trac ST4

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is an article from Volks World, October 2004. This is about my Snow Trac. It was formerly owned by Bob Bateman, who is the guy in England I purchased the Snow Trac from. The article and the photos don't say/show anything about all the ways this one is screwed up! They actually did a very nice job on some parts and a very crummy job on other parts. The entire thing was stipped down and rebuilt from the frame up. The frame is in essentially brand new condition. Then engine is in unrestored condition but it is amazingly reliable. I could go on and on about problems I've identified, but it really is not as fun to complain as it is to play with and finish restoring the Snow Trac.

I saved this article as JPG image files. It gives a lower resolution image than saving them as downloadable PDF files, but it is easier to view this way.

Attachments

• 1Vworld1.jpg
    1Vworld1.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 423
  • 1attachment.jpg
    1attachment.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 375
  • 1attachment-1.jpg
    1attachment-1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 361

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: VolksWorld Article about Bob's Snow Trac ST4

Here are the final 3 pages.

Attachments

• 1attachment-2.jpg
    1attachment-2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 1attachment-3.jpg
    1attachment-3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 369
  • 1attachment-4.jpg
    1attachment-4.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 374

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter

Bob, I remember watching that program on TV and thinking, 'boy would I ever want one of those!'. I did find it disappoining at the time, as with most TV, they didnt do a proper job, just good enough for the TV appearance.
Pity they dont do a follow-up, then we could all be stunned by your shirts on British TV :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

If you guys are having a hard time reading this, I could repost the files as downloadable PDF files.

I'm curious what "Mith" thinks. As Mith watched the Salvage Squad show when it was originally aired, and as he wrote me before saying the show "MUCKED UP" the restoration, I wonder if this article seems to make the condition sound better to him that what he witnessed on the TV show?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter

Beat ya!
I think the phrase 'but the brakes failed at the top of the mountain' pretty much sums up what the quality of the mechanical restoration looked like on TV. I think you are best off to describe the condition when you got it, I probably remember it worse than it was for it were a long time ago, but the article seems quite accurate, it seems to stay away from the mechanical problems a bit, which seemed to be quite severe.

PS, im not knocking your trac, just saying what I saw

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Mith said:
Beat ya!
I think the phrase 'but the brakes failed at the top of the mountain' pretty much sums up what the quality of the mechanical restoration looked like on TV.

PS, im not knocking your trac, just saying what I saw,

Feel free to knock it, I do all the time! I think I've wasted more time trying to mess with little things that need fixing than I've spent on other issues that should have been occupying my time. I was actually thrilled with the condition when we rolled it out of the shipping container, but closer inspection is where I saw all the flaws. I should probably stop complaining, I bought it to fix it up. I got what I wanted!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter

Yes, the cosmetic looked good, it was made to look good on TV afterall. How would you say the quality of the mechanical restoration is?

Seems I edited after you read my previous post, sorry

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

The cosmetics are actually marginal. There are paint runs in some areas. Other areas where I've had to do some metal repair and other areas where I still have to do some repairs. But from 10' away it looks great!!! The engine and drive train actually work great. I occasionally have trouble starting it, but normally it fires right up. I will be removing the roof and repainting that this summer, it should be either white or silver (I'm not sure which is the correct color but I've seen both).

On the interior, I've repainted everything below the seat level with grey paint or grey "rhino-liner" type 2 part epoxy. I detailed the problems with the epoxy setting up properly in another thread, but when it finally dried it actually looked very good, so it was worth the wait. I like the grey interior instead of the orange color, I think it looks cleaner and brighter. I've detailed out a wood dashboard plan, but have not started that project yet.

The electrical system is still a major mess. I've patched it in a half dozen places and simply come to the conclusion that I have to start over and rewire it with all new wire. That will happen this spring or summer.

The brakes still don't work, and to be honest I have not messed with them at all. I know I need to because I stalled it out driving up a hill and had a rather exciting but unplanned ride down the hill backwards! But for the most part, its not been a real issue not having brakes. It doesn't free roll quite the same way a car does!

The TV show ignored the seats completely, I simply didn't have any when I bought it. On the bright side, they did a very nice job rebuilding the tracks!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

Bob,
Mine came with all the seat cushions and seat belts. If you need pics and or dimensions no problem. All but one is original and that one used the same board and cushion, only the vinyl is different. It has a smooth finish instead of the rough finish.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks, but I've already made new cushions for mine. Mine are not even close to the originals. They have genuine Hawaiian barkcloth fabric with palm trees and flamingos on them!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter

Uh oh :eek:
:yum: :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I'll have to go out and take some photos. The seat bottoms are installed, but the seat backs are not. Wait a few days, I'll get out there and take some pictures.

dbrokaw

If you could repost the original article in pdf format that would be greatly appreciated.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

dbrokaw said:
If you could repost the original article in pdf format that would be greatly appreciated.
Here you go Dan.
Now how about some photos of the inside of your Snow Trac!?!:weneedpic

(edited in updated PDF files)

Attachments

• 1Vworld1.pdf
    118.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 1Vworld2.pdf
    214.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 1Vworld3.pdf
    211.5 KB · Views: 214

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

The rest of the article.

(edited in updated PDF files)

Attachments

• 1Vworld4.pdf
    210.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 1Vworld5.pdf
    225.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 1Vworld6.pdf
    233.7 KB · Views: 208

dbrokaw

Thanks for the pdf's. Great getting all this info after not finding anything for years. Will take some pictures tomorrow.