• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Distilling

Andrei

Banned
Well, I come from a background where wine and beer were made in house so learned few things growing up.
But dad never done any distilling.
So i came across an abundance of throw away fruits and took the challenge.
Wanted to produce specialty so did not mix them up.
Picked plums off the ground in an orchard close to my "ranch" and clean them a bit and cut them in 2 - 4 pieces and put them to ferment in a plastic barrel.
Picked persimmons after harvest when they were getting soft and very sweet and smash or cut them and put them to ferment in a plastic barrel.
After the grape leaves fell I saw a lot of black grapes left on the vine and could not pass them by so I picked 4 buckets of 5 gall each and wash them and smashed them and since I had no more plastic barrels I put them back into plastic 5 gall buckets to ferment.
All that was done in Oct - Dec 2013.
They smelled good after 2 months of fermentation so I had to get to work.
4 gall stainless pot with lid I had. Drilled a small hole in the lid and screws in a barbed hose fitting made of brass.
Then I found in my garage a transmission cooler that is inside the radiators and is made out of copper.
Instal the cooler into a plastic square bucket in vertical position and lower tube sealed with some silicone.
So I had the boiling tank the condenser made.
Made some dough and used it to seal the lid of the ss pot.
Fill the pot with fermented fruit juices and seal the lid and place it on the fire.
Got a small rubber hose to connect the barbed nipple from the lid to a copper pipe and then other small piece of hose to connect the copper pipe to the transmission cooler.
As temperature rose vapors came thru and wormed up all the pipes.
I filled half of the plastic bucket with water by the time fire water was dripping out of the cooler.
Let half a glass drip and after that place a bottle there for the real stuff.
As the water got hot I added ice cubes from the refrigerator.
Did this process for few days with all my fermented fruits and got 4 gallons of fire water.
The perssimons I put it one more time thru the process and the resulting fluid will burn when lighted with a match.
Friends and family that did the tasting were impressed.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very interesting. And your still alive to tell about it. Thats good.:smile: If it burns, it proofs at least 150 I think.:brows:

So how does your head feel in the morning afterwards?:whistling:

Regards, Kirk

Andrei

Banned
It is extremely smooth and no headaches whatsoever.
Yes, my flame testing shows around 80% alcohol.
It is more of a chemistry experiment since I never got drunk in my life.
No jail since it is legal for personal consumption and as engineer I can come up with unusual solutions for problems.