• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pick Up Trucks

What Pick-up do you drive?

• Chevy

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Dodge

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Ford

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Toyota

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • other

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

urednecku

Site Supporter
A couple of us got to talking about pick-em-up's a couple nights ago, & it got me wondering what ya'll drive, & why? Will you probably buy the same brand again next, & why?

EDIT: yes the poll is multi-choice.

Last edited:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
A couple of us got to talking about pick-em-up's a couple nights ago, & it got me wondering what ya'll drive, & why? Will you probably buy the same brand again next, & why?

03 3/4T Dodge CTD 4X4 Quad Cab long bed.... love the diesel when pulling our big horse trailer which has been SEVERELY limited by fuel prices. We had PLANNED to get a gasser this last time, but found this one for the same money we were about to spend on the new gasser and only lost 3,000 miles of warranty, but got leather and power everything. A pic of it used to be my avatar.

Attachments

• MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 170

mak2

Ford F 150 ext cab 4x4. love it. Use it all the time. I ride my bicycle to work 28 miles each day, truck too expensive.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I drive a Dodge, and have since '86. At the time, it was pure $$$. It was a 3/4 ton "Power Ram", had to buy a new one to pull a travel trailer. Chevy wanted $1500.00 more for the save basic truck, only difference Chevy had a radio. Ford dealer never found me a 3/4 ton 4WD. And test driving, the Dodge seemed to pull stronger. When I went to trade 4 years ago, the same reason, only in 1/2 ton 2 WD. Yes, I'll probably buy Dodge again, as I have had very few problems with either truck. (OK, before the 1st Dodge, I was Chevy all the way.)

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Owning over 40 trucks we buy mostly Fords. They have just seemed to be the most reliable for us.

I personally the last 4 vehicles have been Dodge, Chevy, Ford, and Ford.

The Dodge was an alright rig.
The Chevy stranded me 4 times, talk about pissing one off.
The last two Fords I have had no troubles with. My 2004 F150 Crew now has 170k on it. I bit of trouble on the rear end but that has been it.

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've had 4 Fords. My recent purchase just ended up being a Ford but it wasn't a brand oriented purchase. I don't really have brand loyalty anymore. In fact I specifically avoided Ford in shopping for a new vehicle because I wasn't happy with the direction they are going.

PB

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
'01 Ram2500 4x4 CTD. I got it to haul wood, tow, carry a big cab over camper. Dad worked for Dodge for 40+ years; got a good deal. Second truck is a '04 Ram1500 4x2 quad cab. Nice truck, rides better than a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. We do not need two trucks any longer though. My parents are buyin the 1/2 ton; we just picked up a used PT Cruiser. Nice to have a car again for a better ride, and better mileage.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Welp, right now I'm driving a 2003 F150 Ext Cab 4X4. The wife drives a 2006 Explorer. I've had 5 F series trucks since '93. All have been sweet, I just kept trading up until the last one. Went from a 99 F250 SD to the 03 F150. The wife has had 4 Explorers in the last 10 years.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
I am driving an 04 Chevy Z-71. Where I am living 4 wheel drive is a requirement. I have had my computer re-flashed. I have run against a Hemi Dodge and at a 20 mph stomp, I can take it about 2 lengths. I have also run a Tundra and Titan. None of them can smoke the old Chev. We are about even. I am even running 285X75X16tires. I have started driving like an old codger due to gas costs. I never exceed 55 mph. I have been getting 19-21 mpg. Have a goodun!!!!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
None of the above!

I don't own anything that could tow my tractor on a trailer, so the tractor will be stranded here its whole life. I could rent a Uhaul trailer and one of their trucks if I really needed to move the tractor, but I can't imagine why.

For hauling stuff I have a 4x8 trailer, and for a camping 'jeep trailer' I use a little 4'x4' HF one.

Both of my vehicles are rated to tow the 2000 lb 4x8 trailer.

1) Ford Focus Wagon with a tarp over the folded rear seat; about 5 ft of level floor. This is kind of like a minipickup with a shell on it.

2) Subaru Outback. (4x4). For getting into my remote mining claim (20 miles of unmaintained logging skid trails to get in there), and for driving down in the back of the orchard in harvest, usually hauling ladders and fruit on the 4x8 trailer.

I've owned six 4x4's in the past, I'm aware of their greater capability. But this fleet meets my needs, at far lower cost than a real truck.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My current truck is a 2008 Chev Silverado quad cab 4x4. I tried out other makes of trucks and was tossing back and forth between a dodge and the chev. I tired out a ford too but after looking around town and seeing almost every ford older than 2 yrs starting to rust out with the paint falling off and such, I decided against one. The streets and highways around here are covered in salt in the wintertime and the fords don't like it one bit. Also, after talking to a few dodge owners, they all basically said the same thing......that the dodge was a good turck but they were hard on gas. Nothing against dodge though. I had one before and liked it for what it was.(mine was as plain as they come...no options, no air, 2wd regular cab, v6) but tough as nails.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have owned one Dodge, four Toyota, and two Nissan pickups. Never could justify owning a large truck. Reliability has always been #1 for me, and the '79 Dodge soured me on that name. Drove the T100 for 130k trouble free miles before selling it. Would still have a Nissan Crewcab if the CFO hadn't totalled it. Replaced it with an Xterra, which pulls a 4x8 utility trailer when we have to haul something.

I suspect that higher gas prices will result in fewer pickups on the road before long.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
had a sport trac, explorer sport truck, traded it on a Kia Optima, now I forget that last time I went to the gas pumps, instead of them keeping my card for the next day........................that thing loved gas.

oh yeah, I have a trailer for sale, and you get the tractor etc for it included..........

I would buy Dodge if I wanted a truck for work, Ford if for play

Trakternut

I have owned six pickups in my lifetime. Started out with a .74 Chev 2WD, then a .74 GMC 4X4, .79 Chev 4X4, .78 Dodge, plain jane 4X2, .83 Ford F150 4X2, now a '94 GMC K1500 4X4. Can't say anything against any of them that can't be prevented with a good maintenance program. The Dodge and the Ford weren't around much more than a year to year and a half. Sold 'em cause I had too many sets of wheel around, not because they were dying, except for the '79 Chev which was slowly disappearing into a pile of rust flakes and (I think) the camshaft was about wore out.
If I could order a new one today, it'd be between GM and Dodge. I don't like the cabs on the newer Fords because of the cut in the door. The extra sloped windshield makes me smack my head against the door post, which results in way too much damage to the truck.
I would test drive a Toyota and see if that fit me. If so, then the GM/Dodge/Toyota choice would be simply $$$$.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I was a long time loyal GM fan until about 1999 when I wanted the GMC dealer to special order me a 3/4 ton HD diesel. I waited 9 months and they were unable to get what I wanted. I then ended up buying a Ford super duty off the lot and now also own a F350 diesel King Ranch along with the V10 gasser 3/4 ton. At the time I bought my first Ford, my business fleet was about 17 vehicles which were all GM. My thoughts are; in a 1/2 ton the GM units are probably best but when you need a real tough hard working truck the Ford or Dodge are superior. My super duty Fords have been mostly trouble free and that has made me a happy Ford SD owner. Our local Dodge dealer has lousy service while the Ford dealer is slightly better, so I have to also consider that aspect when buying a truck.

Now, you GM fans don't get all razzed up as this is just my opinion.

jwstewar

I had a '91 S/10 2wd, '93 S/10 4wd, '97 K1500 Ext Cab, and now a '99 Silverado 4wd Ext Cab and an '05 Trailblazer Ext 4wd. I've loved all of them. Haven't really had any problems with any of them, other than currently trying to diagnose a bucking on the Silverado. Just now replaced the plug wires and I couldn't get it to do it so maybe....but it did want to keep spinning the back tires. For some reason the new AC wires seem to have increased the power from the cheapo AutoZone ones.:punk: Next truck will probably be a GMC Sierra 3/4 ton Crew Cab Long Bed. Undecided on the engine. By the time I'll buy the 6.2 will be out and we will have a report card on them so maybe. Ideally I would love to have a Duramax/Allison combo but can't justify the $7500 and the increased fuel cost for the few times a year that we tow heavy. 5 years ago it would've been a no brainer.

urednecku

Site Supporter
My first PU was a '79 Chevy, 305 /auto, no power at all. (I think the 2.76 gears had something to do with that.) Traded it with 66k miles, used 1 qt oil in about 800 miles. Next was '83 S-10 extended cab. LOVED IT. V-6, 4 speed trans, 3.08 locking rear, 27mpg highway @ 75mph. & ran like a scalded hound. Had to trade it on the '86 Dodge I mentioned earlier.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was a long time loyal GM fan until about 1999 when I wanted the GMC dealer to special order me a 3/4 ton HD diesel. I waited 9 months and they were unable to get what I wanted. I then ended up buying a Ford super duty off the lot and now also own a F350 diesel King Ranch along with the V10 gasser 3/4 ton. At the time I bought my first Ford, my business fleet was about 17 vehicles which were all GM. My thoughts are; in a 1/2 ton the GM units are probably best but when you need a real tough hard working truck the Ford or Dodge are superior. My super duty Fords have been mostly trouble free and that has made me a happy Ford SD owner. Our local Dodge dealer has lousy service while the Ford dealer is slightly better, so I have to also consider that aspect when buying a truck.

Now, you GM fans don't get all razzed up as this is just my opinion.
Hey you knocking my place of former employment mtntopper?????

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
2006 Ford King Ranch 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab /short bed turbo diesel . 1993 GMC4x4 short bed std cab . Both trucks have worked well as ranch trucks but the GMC does much better in the snow.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
OK Al... I have to ask... what do you mean by "does better in the show"? I wonder why that is... Mine is kinda lame in snow and mud, but I have Hiway tires on it....

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I had a 1995 GMC 2500 with the anemic 6.5l diesel. It stayed in the shop with injector pump problems. Luckily it was covered by the warranty. I sold it with 10,000 miles left on the 100K mile warranty. I replaced it with a 1996 F250 with the Powerstroke diesel engine. The truck served me well and was reliable. When I was in Iraq I decided to buy a new truck when I got back. Ford had went from the 7.3 to a 6.0 diesel and there had been problems. By the time I was ready to buy they had changed engines again and I was ready to be a guinea pig. Besides, and I hope I don't insult anyone's truck, but the new Ford Heavy Duties are butt ugly. Ford dropped their 100K mile warranty and Chevy still had theirs. The Duramax diesel in the Chevrolet has gotten high marks, so I gave Chevy another chance. So far I like the truck, but since diesel fuel has went up almost $2 a gallon since I got the truck, it's hard to enjoy it.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey you knocking my place of former employment mtntopper?????

You sure did not stay very long at the local Dodge'm dealership. You relate that experience about equal to working on LMC 2. :w00t2:

Here is how it goes at our local Dodge'm dealership. I walk thru the front door shopping for a new 3/4 ton and catch the first salesman on the floor. We walk over to a truck on the showroom floor. I open the drivers side door and ask about the seat adjustments and seat options. He says "oh you probably won't like the seats in the Dodge trucks if you drive a GM". I turn and leave. Easy decision made by the salesman prior to me even sitting in the cab of the truck. I have never went back to the dealership but have driven several Dodges and the seats are as comfortable as any other brand. Went to the Ford dealership and bought one super duty and then another six months later. I really like it when a salesman instantly knows my likes and dislikes...............:w00t2:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
As to the best truck that I have ever owned, it was a 1969 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 with the 292CI 6 cylinder engine and a 4 speed standard transmission that I purchased used. I used it in unbelievable tough conditions for many years and that truck just kept going and going without breaking. It was just a basic work truck with no frills, bells and whistles to break. That is when they actually put a steel frame under the truck and you could use it like a truck. I have been told the owner after me still has it and drives it.

sports850

I have a 1992 Mitsubishi Triton 3 litre V6 petrol engined 4wd ute/pickup , bought it with 200,000 klm's on it and it's just clicked over 400,000 klm's (new motor in at 360,000 klm's , was towing and carrying stupid loads so it might have sped up the engine wear) . Apart from wearing out the motor had absolutely no drama's with it , there's a synchro on the way out in the gearbox but it's still the same as it was when I bought it 200,000 klm's ago . The gearbox has blown a rear seal around 100,000 klm's ago and drove about 5 klm's without oil before I worked out where the noise was coming from , fitted a new seal , filled it with oil and it's fine , the gearbox on the V6 is a truck box (Mitsubishi Canter , probably different name up there) .

I've towed a trailer with 3 tonnes of scaffolding steel in it over a mountain range and also carried a 1.5 tonne walk behind compactor in the back of it without the springs reversing so it does everything I want . Might have to move it on soon though as it only seats two (it's the extra cab/king cab version with room behind the bucket seats) and there's now 4 of us , will be sad to see it go really .

D

darroll

I drive a 2003 Toyota tundra made in Indiana. It has roll-up windows (crank), nothing power operated, no crew cab, eight foot bed. No four wheel drive (insurance reasons). I did have posi-traction installed. It has a stick shift and I get 22 miles per gallon in town. I like it fine. It has air and a CD playing radio.
I used to drive GMC trucks and liked them too…. But… GM did not make a truck with the things that I don’t want on it. Why pay for the gas to pull around goodies on a truck that you don’t use?

Darroll

3MT

I've only had two pickup trucks. My first one was a '76 Dodge Power Wagon. That thing was a beast, and a gas-gussler, with the full time four wheel drive. I sold that in '90 and bought a Chevy Silverado extended cab w/a 6.5' box. This truck developed the "peeling paint problems" that the big 3 had from the late '80's into the early '90's. It's a long story that I'm not going to get into here, but to make a long story short, GM would not do a thing for me. It was a real nice looking truck. Two tone, blue and silver. The silver is what really started to peel then a little of the blue. I had it painted 4 years ago at a local Macco shop that was running a paint special. It cost me a little more because they had to strip the paint down to the bare metal and then prime and top coat it. Still looks good today. Would I buy another GM product? NO. I don't know what I would buy next but it won't be GM.