• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Weather change

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's been hot n dry up here all summer with very little rain. I've only mowed 3 times this summer. But last night we finally got much needed rain. The whole area is under a fire ban due to many forest fires.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're in the middle of our first winter storm. For us near the great lake, it's been a mixture of strong winds, heavy rain and a bit of snow. Further northwest only 30 miles away, the highway is closed for a 7hr stretch extending all the way to the Manitoba border. My wife was supposed to drive to Winnipeg (8hrs away) this morning with some friends for a girls weekend. They turned around at the road block and came back.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Rising and falling temperatures cause various problems. So all we have to do is adjust ourselves to the temperature

The change in barometric pressure causes all sorts of problems on my body. I broke my back in 6 places. As a result, arthritis has set in and when the weather changes, I can barely stand let alone walk as my lower back burns and the nerves going to my legs become affected causing me to lose leg strength and nearly collapse in pain.

All highways from here to the Manitoba border 7 hrs away have been closed since yesterday due to a major snow storm. We got mostly rain and sleet here but further northwest, they got lots of snow.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

FB_IMG_1641571154715.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've officially lost the battle with plowing the driveway. We have close to 400ft of driveway to plow. It started snowing yesterday around lunchtime and hasn't stopped. Normally it wouldn't be an issue except for the past week or so, we had above freezing temperatures which melted over a foot of our nearly 4 feet of snow. All that snow turned to solid ice and froze in the driveway. I'm 6'3" and it was up to my knees.

So I headed out to plow this morning. First, the battery was dead so I threw a charger on it while I cleared some snow off the 5 vehicles in the driveway. After getting it started and ready to plow, I put the plow down and tried pushing snow. The truck moved a foot then it was like trying to push a transport with a smart car. I managed to get moving again by lifting the plow and taking a run at it. Our driveway has a small hill going up to the house. I managed to make one pass down the hill with the plow before getting stuck spun out on ice. After getting going again, I was buried in deep wet snow in 30 feet. I abandoned the plow truck where it was stuck by the garage and was walking back to the house when I looked down the driveway and saw one of the locals going around with an old loader clearing the banks at the end of the driveways on our road. He offered to make a couple passes for me and get me unstuck. After he left, I plowed for a bit before getting stuck again and nearly sliding sideways into my f150.

So I jumped in the newer f150, cranked the wheel and managed to back up a foot then got it out around the plow truck. I hooked a chain to it and got it semi mobile again then slid sideways into a water hole under the snow. That's where she stayed. I give up.

We have one vehicle free from the snow and a clear path to the main road. It'll have to do.

The schools were open this morning but all buses were canceled so the kids stayed home. We just got a call that they are closing the schools and sending everyone home who made it in.

20220323_100549.jpg

20220323_083810.jpg
20220323_100558.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I've officially lost the battle with plowing the driveway. We have close to 400ft of driveway to plow. It started snowing yesterday around lunchtime and hasn't stopped. Normally it wouldn't be an issue except for the past week or so, we had above freezing temperatures which melted over a foot of our nearly 4 feet of snow. All that snow turned to solid ice and froze in the driveway. I'm 6'3" and it was up to my knees.

So I headed out to plow this morning. First, the battery was dead so I threw a charger on it while I cleared some snow off the 5 vehicles in the driveway. After getting it started and ready to plow, I put the plow down and tried pushing snow. The truck moved a foot then it was like trying to push a transport with a smart car. I managed to get moving again by lifting the plow and taking a run at it. Our driveway has a small hill going up to the house. I managed to make one pass down the hill with the plow before getting stuck spun out on ice. After getting going again, I was buried in deep wet snow in 30 feet. I abandoned the plow truck where it was stuck by the garage and was walking back to the house when I looked down the driveway and saw one of the locals going around with an old loader clearing the banks at the end of the driveways on our road. He offered to make a couple passes for me and get me unstuck. After he left, I plowed for a bit before getting stuck again and nearly sliding sideways into my f150.

So I jumped in the newer f150, cranked the wheel and managed to back up a foot then got it out around the plow truck. I hooked a chain to it and got it semi mobile again then slid sideways into a water hole under the snow. That's where she stayed. I give up.

We have one vehicle free from the snow and a clear path to the main road. It'll have to do.

The schools were open this morning but all buses were canceled so the kids stayed home. We just got a call that they are closing the schools and sending everyone home who made it in.

View attachment 147586

View attachment 147584View attachment 147585
Geezz. It's cold down here (50F) and kinda rainy. Everybody is complaining, So I showed them your post.

Quiet now.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
On this day in 2013, St Louis Mo had the worst snowstorm on record for March. Shut the city down.

It has been raining since yesterday. We are only a few degrees from a repeat today.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Would whoever pissed off mother nature please get her a box of chocolates and a dozen roses? Seriously. I like winter but this heavy wet snow is getting old. It started snowing this morning around 6 and didn't let up all day. In all, we got a foot of snow. The highways all around are closed. Our power started flickering and went out about 9am. I waited a couple hours and went out to plow before it became too heavy to move. Then I decided to head to the shop and haul out my generator. It's been sitting under the garage carport off the side for 6 months. So I had to snowblow a path to get to it. I managed to get it started on the second pull. We shut off the main breaker for the house then connected to an outlet to start feeding power to the house. We tried several different outlets and finally found the one connected to the boiler and the refrigerators. All good. The well isn't on but we have 10 gallons of water. Some lights also work so we're not in bad shape.
20220406_124822.jpg

20220406_094528.jpg

This storm is twisting like a tropical hurricane. The first wave brought roughly a foot of heavy wet slush. We'll see what the morning brings but we have heat when many don't tonight.

Screenshot_20220406-213717_AccuWeather.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're going on 26 hours without power from this storm. Thankfully it tapered of yesterday but we're going into round 2 now. They're calling for another foot of snow today. I went in to the city to fill up a couple cans of gas for the generator. Not everything is working in the house but we do have some lights, a few plug ins, and the boiler running for heat as temperatures are around the freezing mark.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well now... this should be interesting. They weren't sure what we would get as one forecast called for 10-15cm of snow. Another called for 30-50mm of rain. Neither are good for the area as rain would cause flooding. We ended up getting rain half the day yesterday which turned to snow overnight. The schools and buses are canceled. Power was off again this morning but has returned.

Screenshot_20220413-163840_AccuWeather.jpg
20220414_070915.jpg

This is the road heading out to the main roadway. Looks like I may have some cutting to do to get out.

20220414_070944.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thankfully they all popped back up when the snow released after a light tap with the plow truck at the base of the trees.

20220414_083839.jpg

As I was turning around out on the road, I watched this big poplar tree snap in half and come down blocking half the road. There were no hydro lines nearby so I grabbed a chainsaw and went to work clearing a portion of it so vehicles could get by.

20220414_091903.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, after heavy wet snow, damaging winds, trees down everywhere, and hydro outages throughout the day yesterday, we survived another one. The yard is a mess as I'm barely able to push the stuff with the plow. And now they're calling for more snow this coming week.

FB_IMG_1650028102641.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've been getting some nasty storms lately in the form of snow. So keep that in mind that even with the melting, we still have 2ft of it in the yard.

Now we're in a severe weather alert yet again. It started last night as snow/sleet coming down accompanied by a major thunderstorm with the whole sky lighting up. Now it's pouring rain and still a thunderstorm. This should make a nice mess with the snow. And considering the ground is frozen, there's no place for the water to go. I predict many basements will be flooding today. We should be fine as our house sits a bit higher than the rest of the property.

Screenshot_20220423-055336_AccuWeather.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This is turning into a "day after tomorrow" scenario. I've shared a few pictures of the recent snowstorms we've had. We're forecast to get up to 75mm of rain by noon tomorrow. It's been pouring all day. With no place to go, the water is pooling in low laying areas causing flooding. Many of the roads are at risk of washing out. Many basements are wet. I was at our church earlier and they were dealing with water in the basement and a leaking roof. The place was built in 1908.

Screenshot_20220423-225522_AccuWeather.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Things keep getting worse with the weather this spring. We had 4 major storms in a row which dumped a total of over 25" of heavy wet snow. It's been getting down to -10 Celsius at night but above freezing during the day. That created the perfect recipe for disaster. We've also had 2 major rain events. The ground is still frozen so no place for the water to go. Our place is dry but the sump has been running steady for a week.

Our deck didn't survive the heavy wet snow as we discovered yesterday that a main support beam underneath snapped from the weight. The snow began melting and basically absorbed the heavy rain and froze overnight to a big block of ice.
20220503_122938.jpg

20220503_121851.jpg

20220503_121949.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Once the snow is melted, I can get underneath it with a jack to relevel the deck and replace the broken support beam. I also plan on adding a couple more 10x10 sopport posts to help take the weight.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Old man winter is kicking and screaming as we showed his as to the door. With the late season storms we've been having, the ground is still frozen and no place for the water to go. And spring runoff from the extra snow we had is flooding lakes and rivers causing many washouts leaving communities cut off. When the only way in to your community is a 150 mile 2 lane goat trail hwy that gets washed out, you have a serious issue.

FB_IMG_1652288603803.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's getting worse as snow continues to melt. The frost hasn't let go yet. And to make matters worse, we had another thunderstorm pass through during the night dropping more rain. Roads are flooding and washing out all over. I drove by a golf course earlier that was completely under water around the clubhouse and half of the fairway on the first hole. Our yard is a lake down by the garage but it could be worse. A nearby house 100 feet from a river is now surrounded by water.

20220512_074635.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I drove out to camp yesterday and there's one spot where a river parallels the road and is normally down from the shoulder about 10 or more feet. There's also a few houses between the hwy and the river. This is the main highway between eastern and western Canada. No other roads other than a goat trail logging road. We had a major thunder storm come through the night. There's another one on the way forecast to drop another load of rain. The highway is almost covered now. I stole these pictures.

FB_IMG_1652395569976.jpg
FB_IMG_1652395574561.jpg