• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Food Prices hit hard by Inflation

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are quite a few folks here on the Forums who seem to have some level of food stocks in their homes, their preparations would seem to be a buffer for a spike in prices of foodstuffs.

Food Prices Soaring Out of Control
Monday, 17 May 2010 02:46 PM Article Font Size
By: Julie Crawshaw
http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/Inflation-Group-Food-Prices/2010/05/17/id/359272

The National Inflation Association says the Federal Reserve is wrong about inflation: U.S. food prices are spiraling out of control, jumping 2.4 percent in March, the largest leap in 24 years.

Combined with the highest unemployment in decades, higher food prices have caused huge numbers of Americans to turn to the food stamp program for help.

After the 14th consecutive monthly food price increase, 39.4 million Americans are now enrolled in the program, up 22.4 percent from one year ago.

The U.S. government is now paying out more in entitlement programs than it collects in taxes.

Year-over-year, fresh and dry vegetables are up 56.1 percent, fresh fruits and melons are up 28.8 percent, eggs for fresh use are up 33.6 percent, beef and veal are up 10.7 percent and dairy products are up 9.7 percent.

The group points out that 58 percent of February’s year-over-year increase in retail sales came from surging food and gasoline prices, improved consumer confidence.

The organization also reports that price inflation is also accelerating in many economic sectors besides food and energy, and that any increases in 2010 U.S. retail sales will be the result of inflation.

Rising food costs also threaten the restaurant industry’s fledgling recovery, according to a new study by AlixPartners LLP, the global business-advisory firm.

“Despite some stabilization of late, the restaurant industry is by no means out of the woods,” Andy Eversbusch, a managing director at AlixPartners and head of the firm’s Restaurant & Foodservice Practice, told Earth Times.

Meanwhile, we predict that food commodity prices, whose record lows provided a ‘pseudo bailout’ to the industry in 2009, will rise substantially going forward, so the operating efficiency of many restaurant players will be severely tested.”​

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
A year ago I was buying sweet onions for $.79/lb. Today I'm paying $1.59 to $1.79 for the same onions. Butter went from $1.69/lb to $2.48/lb and eggs from $.99/dz to $1.49/dz. Maybe I'll go down and sign up for some of that free Obama food money that he's passing out like lollipops. WTF...why should I sit back and sacrifice when the lazy asses are collecting it while doing nothing in return. Maybe it's not really bad to be a dependent of mutha gumit. You become a protected class, and absolutely nothing is expected of you except to remain lazy. Pretty fuckin sweet.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I used to just walk into the store, grab a cart and shop.
I don't anymore. I plan meals for the week, and now pay more attention to sales on certain products. Yeah.. the egg prices are ridiculous and the fresh produce is outrageous.
Pretty soon it'll be soup and crackers, soup and bread, soup and soup.

I've cut out buying bottled water (not that I ever bought much of it anyway) I save the old water bottles and fill from my tap because I have a purifier.

I DO brown bag it to work a lot, but when I do run out for fast food, I buy from the cheapest part of the menu possible (like for example- my favourite chinese joint, I choose the appetizers a lot).
Thank God for Subway too LOL

There are some pretty good prices on some cuts of meat, just have to look for them.

SShepherd

as the song says.................

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJmBPCYt5LY"]YouTube- Bachman Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet[/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
well i have to admit it's getting expensive for me to $4.50 a gallon for gas 8 bucks a gallon for milk 9 bucks for a case of pop wich if i bring one it's gone in a matter of hours so it dosn't happen much . go in to the store and pick up 3 or 4 items and i will spend over 30 bucks and the kids wonder why i'm not giving them money for snacks.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I've noticed the price jumps because I don't shop that often and when I do everything seems more expensive than the last time.

I noticed that Safeway now sells 20 packs of soda instead of 24 packs. Same price - just 4 less cans.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
with the high prices we are seeing a lot less stuff on the shelfs wich translates to bad times if you get bad weather and the planes can't fly to get cargo in.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Besides food, has anyone priced canning jars lately? They were $8-9 per dozen last fall. They're almost double that price already.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bought my steers last year for 75 cents a lb. This year it jumped to $1.10 and 3 days later it had jumped to $1.30. Sure am glad I have the greenhouse overflowing with plants for the garden. Stopped at the local Agway today for steer feed and for the first time ever he is not getting vegetables and flowers in to retail. His wholesale prices have jumped so much he did not think folks would pay what he would have to charge for plants. Most of the bigger greenhouses are selling 4 packs of plants instead of 6packs. Fertilizer costs are up 40% from 2 years ago. Inflation is starting to occur in a lot of prices the past 2 months. Have to check my diesel tank before offroad jumps again.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Beef 50 trim last year was about 55 cents. Just a week ago, for 2 weeks, it was at 1.18! This week down to 1.02 or so. And that's good news!

Pork trim is almost double last year.

These kind of price spikes can't be absorbed by manufacturers or the stores, so the consumer will start seeing higher price hot dogs, brats, etc. So then they will buy the true junk of the industry, stuff made with LFTB, mechanically separated chicken, mechanically separated turkey, mechanically deboned beef, phosphates, soy proteins, etc. The 99 cent per pound junk.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
These kind of price spikes can't be absorbed by manufacturers or the stores, so the consumer will start seeing higher price hot dogs, brats, etc. So then they will buy the true junk of the industry, stuff made with LFTB, mechanically separated chicken, mechanically separated turkey, mechanically deboned beef, phosphates, soy proteins, etc. The 99 cent per pound junk.
That's when I will truly go back to eating vegan or vegetarian.
Pure peasant cooking never killed anybody. :smile: