• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Just bought a 2003 One ton cummins 6 spd

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It has a crew cab so my son can use it with his 18 month old daughter and her car seat.

Truck is no Carlisle PA of I 81 on the way to Connecticut. We were making a run this week to get his boat and fill the car hauler with machinery. This way we can bring two trailers back to St Louis.

Best of all I no longer have to loan him my 1996 One ton dually.

New transmission and clutch. With warrantees. New front lower ball joints. All the things I know go at 300K on these babies. This one has 310K on the clock.
One owner truck out of Colorado.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It has a crew cab so my son can use it with his 18 month old daughter and her car seat.

Truck is no Carlisle PA of I 81 on the way to Connecticut. We were making a run this week to get his boat and fill the car hauler with machinery. This way we can bring two trailers back to St Louis.

New transmission and clutch. With warrantees. New front lower ball joints. All the things I know go at 300K on these babies. This one has 310K on the clock.

I64 to I81? If so you passed within 30 miles of my place! (Rt 7 exit in Winchester)

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I64 to I81? If so you passed within 30 miles of my place! (Rt 7 exit in Winchester)

We haven't picked it up yet. That likely happens next Thursday. It is actually in Lewisburg which is up near I-80 and I-81 intersection. Then on to Wilkes-Barre and I-84 into Hartford.

Last edited:

jwstewar

In the other thread you said it was out of Texas.:yum:

I don't know if it is just the photo or not, but it looks like it has had some paint work done to it. It looks like you can see it fade in and out where they tried to blend it in.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
In the other thread you said it was out of Texas.:yum:

I don't know if it is just the photo or not, but it looks like it has had some paint work done to it. It looks like you can see it fade in and out where they tried to blend it in.

Truck is a one owner, Texas. Sold to a dealer in CO and bought by this Fella in PA who "flips" Dodge Trucks. He's been around a while and has a good reputation. Ihave dealt with him before on a Durango.

Paint issue is some kind of cosmetic fix. Clear accident report from Carfax.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

His listing had the truck in Lewisburg. But actually he is in Carlisle, south and east of town on 1534 West Tridall.

If you have time I wouldn't mind buying you lunch or a beer.:thumb:

jwstewar

Truck is a one owner, Texas. Sold to a dealer in CO and bought by this Fella in PA who "flips" Dodge Trucks. He's been around a while and has a good reputation. Ihave dealt with him before on a Durango.

Paint issue is some kind of cosmetic fix. Clear accident report from Carfax.

Just be warned, Carfax isn't all it is cracked up to be. If you looked our old Honda Accord up. It had one accident reported to Carfax. My wife hit a tree. But that doesn't include where she was rear ended in an freezing rain storm and shoved into a mailbox, she was rear ended by a guy not paying attention and shoved her into another car, someone backed into the side of it while I was at lunch, someone changed lanes and took the front fender out, someone came left of center and took out the mirror, someone punched the lock out and broke into it, someone punched the window and broke into it, and 3 broken windshields, and finally the final straw, I hit a deer with it to finally do it in.

Traded it to my buddy for a newer Accord with less miles. He fixed it and resold it.

Bamby

Just be warned, Carfax isn't all it is cracked up to be. If you looked our old Honda Accord up. It had one accident reported to Carfax. My wife hit a tree. But that doesn't include where she was rear ended in an freezing rain storm and shoved into a mailbox, she was rear ended by a guy not paying attention and shoved her into another car, someone backed into the side of it while I was at lunch, someone changed lanes and took the front fender out, someone came left of center and took out the mirror, someone punched the lock out and broke into it, someone punched the window and broke into it, and 3 broken windshields, and finally the final straw, I hit a deer with it to finally do it in.

Traded it to my buddy for a newer Accord with less miles. He fixed it and resold it.

Plus it appears that it was purchased though eBay. Which leaves a substainual about of flexibility for some fraud to take place.

Bamby

I've has some experience with the Dodge Cummins with the stick shift. You haft to relate that this is a hilly area here so it has a lot to do with my opinion. First off first and reverse gears are not low enough IMPO. I don't need speed in low but what I did need was more power and as it was set up a person had to ride the clutch some to get it. Plus lower first and reverse would have provided better resistance to rolling when parked on anything but level ground. Yes set the parking brake firmly but it to had a tendency to stretch the cables out of adjustment leaving rig with a tendency to slowly drift when parked, strongly suggest parking chocks. And lastly sixth gear needs to be watched though the engine has plenty of torque to pull at low rpm,s the clutch tends to slip or chatter some in such conditions. The only cure is to hold it in 5th longer where the higher rpm's and Centrifugal force allows the pressure plate get a good firm grip on things.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

On E-bay alone I have purchased at least 11 cars and trucks over time. I'm 72, and have some experience with "used" cars and trucks. No matter how much research, there is always a small gamble, even if you go to the local lots and dealers…; one can get screwed.

But I repeat, once again, I have bought from this guy before. He seems pretty square shooter. And no funds transfer if the Truck is not as advertised. He does include a written guarantee.

After we pick it up, we go500 miles to CT and then back through Carlisle PA. If there is an issue, the truck can go on my car hauler instead of the Ford 8N tractor.

To be bluntly honest, I always felt this part of purchase if fun. I don't do Vegas or the river boats. This gamble is my element.

BTW, in case yo missed it, I've own a Dodge Cummins since '95. And yews, I had the brake thing you describe. But thanks for the heads up.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple of surprises.
Mileage, 230K not 320K
Bed was rhino lined.
Paint issues were some hail dings on the hood and some scuffing on the driver side roof. A few dents normal for the mileage.

Interior was perfect except for some switch modules that were un secured.

The seller called the tires "thin" but we called them bald. Rear ones were pretty much gone. One tap on the throttles explained why. Engine has been tuned with a high performance chip. Put pout $600 bucks for new tires on the rears. Front tires were serviceable. We'll replace them in a month or so.

Batteries were brand new.

We think the owner might have been a rumrunner. Just about every cavity and interior panel had been forcibly removed. Clearance lamps were disconnected. And the exhaust was modified to spray the hot gasses down below the truck bed. Drug guys do this to avoid aerial infrared detection.

So we got a fast diesel with some loose switch modules in the doors and dash panels. And some wiring to trace and repair. Meanwhile the truck is incredibly fast.

Empty it ran about 22 MPG. Pulling the 27' Maxum Sunbridge Cruiser, about 17 MPG. My '95 5.9 Cummins gets 19+MPG empty and 15 MPG pulling the same boat.

We'll know more when my garage guys do a state inspection and really get into the guts of the truck next week. My body and paint repair guy has all the clips and joinery to fix the switch modules.

All and all I think we did OK. The fact is we got the model, drivetrain and one ton 4WD we wanted. Crew cab, and the extended 8 foot bed rigged for bumper pull or fifth wheel. Cummins with a 6 speed stick shift.

With 1,500 miles now under the chassis, and 24 hours of hard driving, my son is happy and so am I.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Finally had a chance to go through the truck "slowly" with a a criticaleye.

Small leak, just a bit of moisture on the seal on the water pump.
Rear shocks leaking
Brake pads passed inspection but were thin.
Minor leak on pinion bearing.
Front tires passed but only if you held the gauge just right.
Rear Brake light socket bad
For mileage and what we paid, not too bad a deal

All new brake pads
New front tires
Shocks
Water pump and serpentine belt ( I believe should be replaced every 100K miles)
Brake light socket

We will worry about the pinion seal for now
Fixed it all and a new Serpentine belt for $1,700 bucks.
Some glue pads to put the control panels on securely.

He drove it back to CT last weekend with out an issue.

All in about $14,000 for the truck, recovery, and repairs. All is well.

Last edited: