• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Type of motor?

1975 Snow trac

Hi,

I got a 75 snow trac.

How can I tell if I got a Type 1,2, or 3, or 1200, 1300, 1400 or 1500cc motor? I belive that the manual said that the snow trac motors are 1400cc but what Type? (I don't have the manual in front of me. I'm at Prudhoe Bay Alaska).
Is there something on the block thats stamped?

Did VW build the snow trac motor first for the Bus or Beetle?

Thanks for your help,
MJ

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know the "type" of motor in the Snow Trac, but I do know it is not the same motor as in the Bus or Beetle. The Snow Trac used an 'industrial' VW motor that is very similar, but not exactly the same as the Bus & Beetle motors. I believe the ports might be shaped differently and a few other little details. Also depending on the year, there were a few differnent motors used as they increased in horsepower over successive production years. If you have a 1975 Snow Trac it is reasonable to assume you have a 1974 VW engine.

One of the manuals I have identifies the engine as a VW 126 A with a "Cylinder volume of 1584cm (cubed) rated at 53hp SAE at 4000 rpm

Most of the manuals I have do NOT identify the specific VW engine used!

GYPSY

You need to get John Muir's book about VW engine repair. His old books described all the differences and what would interchange. Besides some componet differences, the major differences between the Type 1, 2 etc was the air shrouds and the overall height so it could fit the engine compartment and have a flat floor. The original displacement can be determined by engine numbers but remember that the displacement could be changed by changing the cylinders and pistons. It is very easy to build up a VW engine as long as it can get enough air flow to cool it. The shrouds are very important to a long life engine.