• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

can tire studs be put in any tire?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a good set of winter tires .can studs be put in them or do they have to have holes for studs?

jim

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Most snow tires need to be designed for them.

I put screw in studs in my tractor tires a few years ago but they have deep lugs.

I suspect you could put the screw in kind in a regular tire if you have deep enough tread.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suspect you could put the screw in kind in a regular tire if you have deep enough tread.
That's what I was thinking but I never put them on anything other than an ATV. Not sure how well they'll do at high speeds and mileage.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a good set of winter tires .can studs be put in them or do they have to have holes for studs?

jim
yes you can drill all tires for studs. is it a good idea? no snow tires are made of a soft rubber with an under tread it could be likely that the stud will work it's way through over time and cause a leak. if you have the new stud less tires like nokia's, than the rubber compounds are too soft to hold studs and they will spit out if you have a used set of drilled tires I wouldn't suggest this as the holes will be deformed and also spit studs. I sold studded tires through most of my younger life and these are the lessons I learned.