• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2012 Useage & Pics

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok guys. Seventy percent of us across the country are looking out our windows at grass on February 23rd. And most of us have only had dustings and minute snow fall amounts to date. You boys out in the Rockies & Northwest are finally getting some frozen precipitation.

How about some current pics and vids to keep the rest of us 1) sain, 2) motivated to keep working on our projects and 3) not to be tempted to sell our cats due to lack of snow!

So, come on, get those GoPro camersa rolling. please .. .:w00t2:

We have just under 5' on the level and it is lightly snowing this morning. I groom just over 150 miles a week for a total of about 1500 miles for the season which is a little more than half way over. I can't imagine winter without snow.:mellow:

Attachments

• 000_0202.jpg
    000_0202.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 753
  • 000_0193.jpg
    000_0193.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 740
  • 000_0197.jpg
    000_0197.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 774
  • 000_0195.jpg
    000_0195.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 784

mattfidaho

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

crappy pics, but it was last night... the viz was 100% better that night then it was during the day... our area had reports of 100mph gusts. :-/ that is keeping me busy

mattfidaho

I had to look at that pic twice... I normally only see krustis covered in snow... but thats because they dont run...

trackhead

Yeah, it's not "real" snowcat, but for $1200 for the vehicle, and $2900 for the tracks, it does pretty well. Once it gets locking differentials..............

Vehicle weight is about 1800lbs. PSI is somewhere around .75. Going to make some mods this summer to get the PSI closer to .60, then lock the rear, and maybe front differential.

More pics and vid here.
http://www.fritzrips.com/2012/02/24/samurai-ski-day/

DSCF1121.jpg

deepmud

Got plenty of snow here...

hey cool that's Hatcher Pass :D

I have another not-snow-cat, with ancient Unatrac assemblies for my not-Samurai....

trax-003.jpg

The Sammy is still pretty light, even with the VW TDI-M (manual inject pump conversion), extended frame and Toyota axles/transmission so I figure with the big tracks I'll be at less than 1 psi - maybe even as low as .5 to .6-ish. The tracks are like 250 apiece so they add a lot (like 25% or so) to the total vehicle weight.

This video of the same set of Unatracs on a much heavier full-size Jeep (in Hatcher Pass :D) show they are very effective. There is even a "stuck" :whistling:

video link-piccy....

wesley

At camp near Big Bay, MI. Looking out the window at my "ride"

Attachments

• camp 001.jpg
    camp 001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 634
30" fell over the weekend.:clap: These photos were taken Sunday morning and then another 12+" fell after that.

Attachments

• 000_0217.jpg
    000_0217.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 603
  • 000_0220.jpg
    000_0220.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 590

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of . . . OK Stu, we've only seen two pics of your rig away from your garage (last year). Have you had a chance to get out this year?

Mtn-Track

Speaking of . . . OK Stu, we've only seen two pics of your rig away from your garage (last year). Have you had a chance to get out this year?

Not yet!:sad:
Snow's been real thin up high until recently and even had very limited riding with the sleds out of our cabin this year. We plan to take the O'l Tucker up there next week though, and on the new trailer I built for it as well!:wink:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Same here, but supposed to finally get 7-10 inches Thursday. There has been so little snow that a couple of guys drove all the way into our camp in upstate NY- which no one can ever remember doing in the winter. And that covers the past 80 years of camp logs.

Mtn-Track

Great video!

Just thinking, with all the Avy's we've had in CO, WY, and UT this year, have you had any issues with the slopes you're cutting? Snow in the video looks kinda' 'slab-like'. Sure as hell don't want to hear of you and your cat getting cought in one....!!!:ermm:

Nice work, but be safe, my friend!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i took the family out for a ride to watch the iron doggers come in and yesterday i took some clients out for a ride up the side of anvil mountain to see muskox the day was about 0 but it felt good with the ultraviolet radiation you get off the sun this time of the year after the big blow the last couple of days the snow just isn't as soft now made for slow going in places

Attachments

• snow cat12 006.jpg
    snow cat12 006.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 500
  • snow cat12 008.jpg
    snow cat12 008.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 505
  • snow cat12 007.jpg
    snow cat12 007.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 517
  • snow cat12 005.jpg
    snow cat12 005.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 515
  • snow cat12 004.jpg
    snow cat12 004.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 521
  • snow cat12 003.jpg
    snow cat12 003.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 508
  • snow cat12 002.jpg
    snow cat12 002.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 542
  • snow cat12 001.jpg
    snow cat12 001.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 520

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
try this again

Attachments

• snow cat12 008.jpg
    snow cat12 008.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 367
  • snow cat12 009.jpg
    snow cat12 009.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 370
  • snow cat12 010.jpg
    snow cat12 010.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 368
  • snow cat12 011.jpg
    snow cat12 011.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 370
  • snow cat12 014.jpg
    snow cat12 014.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 369
  • snow cat12 015.jpg
    snow cat12 015.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 368

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
last pic at the white alice site didn't down load

Attachments

• snow cat12 016.jpg
    snow cat12 016.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 366

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don,
Looks like they never tore the site down. Isnt that a long drive from town?
Jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
no its right behind town the plan now is to abate the site of hazmat and keep the towers as they are a well known land mark that can be seen from long distances and yes them animals don't burn any more energy than they have to but don't worry if they need to they can get up and move fast the other thing is they eat a lettus looking vegitation off the rocks makes you wonder how they can survive on that stuff

Cletis

The wife and I took in the muskox ranch there in Palmer, Ak last year. Pretty cool animal. They were in season and the bulls were fairly aggressive. Rest of the time they say they are a really docile animal. Thought I was gonna have to have a talk with the anti-hunting, extremely liberal tree huggin young gal that was giving the tour and her (unwanted) point of view!!

Cletis

wesley

Its good that you save things like that. We have an old abandoned ore dock here in Marquette. The city wanted to tear it down. Then a devloper wanted to make it into a restaurant/marina. Finnally, the citizens spoke up and told them to leave it as is. It is part of our city history and a great landmark. Oh, by the way we got hit by a nice little storm yesterday 7 inches, and expect more this weekend:w00t2:

Attachments

• ore dock.jpg
    ore dock.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 319

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wesley if you are hard up for entertainment you can load up and meet me near iron mountain. I am going to have my first real outing in that heavy wet snow they got.
Yes there will be photos. I am ankle deep in mud loading up frost is gone. What a winter.

shopman

Finally got to get the rebuilt 4T10 Power Selector out on some runs! Have hauled some stuff up to the cabin a few times, but got quite a bit of snow 2+ feet in the last couple weeks!!
:wow:

Ran into some friends getting ready to ski up to their cabin (a mile or more past my place) had their sled, 3 year old behind it on a tether and her skis, and mama with their 6 month old in her coat, and of course the dog... Asked if they wanted a ride up and they were up for it (never been in a snowcat) and I just wanted to go up where there was even more snow!

Cat@Chargers.jpg

Charger_Cat.jpg

There was at least 4 feet of unpacked snow in their drive and our baby drove right through it all up to unload them - it was great! Then after I dropped them off and helped check out their TeePee and little cabin...

I drove back down the mountain and took this little video... a beautiful day and beautiful drive and she ran PERFECT!

http://youtu.be/GI_TiwNlEYg