• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SNOW TRAC WHEELS - help me find parts

nikos

hey Don
It's a practical solution, without much damage, just the inertia of the vehicle immobilizes the vehicle itself.
The Don extensively exploiting the advantage of flat surfaces because these surfaces inertia works in the best way.
Has adapted to the needs of ST4 on environmental conditions and thus no reason to increase the braking system.

And I know that, wy ST4 will be released in the mountain and not on the highways.
Who will see me turning OFF ROADS and see the brake lights when I press the pedal ?.
Possible wild animals, not bears, wolves and deer trained in traffic.
All this in the context of vanity to function properly.
And we become unhappy, angry if a bulb does not light up and wait a week to get a genuine bolt from Canada or Germany to say that we did the right thing.

In nature, however we must be more practical to survive, so they say the rules of survival, to find ways and means to adapt.
If, however, will have been combine practical solutions with the proper use of tools that humans have combined with the technology even better.
Don Thank you for the lesson (practical physics), once applied, and showed us that there are other ways to treat a ride on the ST4.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The snow trac is gear low and compression is about all you will need for stopping or slowing. About the only time I use mine is putting it on a trailer or holding on a hill with the engine running.
I forgot you had an ambulance model.

nikos

Hey JimVT

Yes it s an ambulance model,:brows: but tell me something. Whats your opinion?

Where are the differences in the desigh, mechanically, and specifically in the hole operation of the electrical system in companion with the rest of ST4 ?, exept the shape of the tailgate (with no small window), and the 3 or 2 belt schematic.
Especially with the military style snow trac, I know that there are significant differences in overal structure. (Reinforced construction for the needs traction on the front and reinforced components in the chassis for portability transport the ST4 eg Ships or large Military Vans - Vehicles etc).

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I kinda feel differently about the bakes on my ST. I have used it to pull kids sledding up the local sledding hill. Invariably one or more kids gets into trouble and looses their grip on the tow rope mid hill. I use the brakes to stop from running backwards over kids, some that are mine! Gotta have them working or I wouldn't do this...

The other day in a friends timber we lost the trail. I thought it went up a very steep hill and decided to try going up.... I spun the tracks about halfway up. Had time to get my foot on the brake peddal, and did. Glad they helped slow me down as I rolled backwards down the hill, right at a tree. They saved me from who knows what kind of damage...

I know that all you have to do is turn the key off and the engine will stop it on most any grade. But my instincts are to use the brake not the key switch. Yup the peddals are small and my feet are big, but I still manage to find the brake peddal when needed. I also remember Lyndon saying most ST's have front end damage from no brakes and hitting things to slow or stop them. I made sure this fall they were alive and well. Replaced master and wheel slave cylinders, no leaks and they are working well after I scotchbrighted the drums and degreased the brake pads. They really work good for now anyway. For me anyway, they have to be in working condition.

It's easy to think you don't need them, untill a situation presents itself that you had not thought of. Then you will wish they work....

Best regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
don't get me wrong i have plans to get mine fixed too but i just won't deadline it for that as in most cases i never need them and when i do there is a work around the times i want them most is while decending a hill with one of them heavy loads i'm always pulling a brake would work well to slow me and the load down as it is now i must shift into the verry lowest gear so i don't risk overspeeding the motor and take my time my brake will have to be a hand brake as there is no way to get my feet in there with the boots i wear in the winter

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the millitary models differ in that they have two charging systems, some one correct me ifi'm wrong about this next part. i believe that the generator only runs the fan and is un used .the second alternator on top runs the 24 volt charging system my guess is tha it's a split system like the cucv's that the army used with the chassis electrical being 12 voltdrawn from 1 battery, and the starter and radio and ms stuff being 24 volt. the reason for 24 volt starting system is with the higher voltage it takes less amperage to do the same amount of work this way you get better cranking at low temps.

nikos

Kirk said
....for me anyway, they have to be in working condition.

It's easy to think you don't need them, untill a situation presents itself that you had not thought of. Then you will wish they work....

If i do know the trails and the slopes of the mountains in my area, because i walked there, it will be completely different case- situation, when you have weight (Family- friends) in the ST4.

Apart the deceleration of the ST4, that has been in the snow, and because of friction, and many accessories that interfere with movement (Gear, Chains, no good lubrication in the wheels, sled, etc), when letting go the ST4 without pressing the pedal, or the hand break, and find the right condition, (eg not sliding but low speeding downhill) it can run down the hill like a train.
A wild mystery train on tracks:w00t2:

I changed the old ties both the handbrake and footbrake. I did the same for the brake and the cylinder brake. I hope the new material, give me the opportunity to feel confident in the moments that i need them.

I will try to test them in the first exit.

best regards Nikos

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey JimVT

Yes it s an ambulance model,:brows: but tell me something. Whats your opinion?

Where are the differences in the desigh, mechanically, and specifically in the hole operation of the electrical system in companion with the rest of ST4 ?, exept the shape of the tailgate (with no small window), and the 3 or 2 belt schematic.
Especially with the military style snow trac, I know that there are significant differences in overal structure. (Reinforced construction for the needs traction on the front and reinforced components in the chassis for portability transport the ST4 eg Ships or large Military Vans - Vehicles etc).
I cannot give a good opinion on the two models.I never had one with the wide doors. I only one time needed a larger door and that was last weekend when the generator seen in one of the rear sleds was 1/2 inch to wide to fit inside. I also have differnt style tracks.
Is that you in the picture?
this was my heavyest tow load so far.
funrun2012007.jpg

nikos

hey guys
Here some pics from the electric restoration.
It took nearly a week of work to replace the damaged cables and place the new lines for the lights and switches, new battery, new cables, fuses etc.
Inside the console ST4 is the technician, Just working.
Outside I check the contacts for the rear lights (brakes light, tail lamp, and direction indicator).
I believe that all is OK. :w00t2:

In the end I have to place the number plate Lamp, and the original tank after I have cleaned from slag and dirt with the help of thick chain, oil, water and acid.

LAST Friday evening I filled the tank and the engine began- start, to see how the electrical system work (battery, coil, etc.) We are ready for the fist RIDE::clap:

Attachments

• 255.JPG
    255.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 549
  • 268.JPG
    268.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 546
  • 269.JPG
    269.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 547
  • 262.JPG
    262.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 546

nikos

Αll instruments- electrical equipment on the console was in operation (temperature, tachometer speedometer, switches, the instrument of gasoline tanks, heater), also the interior lights of the cabin.
Console of ST4
1 Heater - micro Switch
2 Windshield Wiper Switch
3. Starter Switch
4 Revolution counter rpm
5 Fuel gauge (External tank – is running)
6 Fuel gauge (Original tank - out of servise)
7 Speedometer
8 Head lamp
9 Horn Switch
10 Choke control
11 Throttle Control
12 Ignition lock
13 Side Direction indicator switch
14 Oil Temperature Gauge
15 Oil presure control lamp + Charging Control Lamp
16 Headlamp Switch
17 Counter of working hours
18 Plug
19 Head light Switch
20 Head tail light switch
21 Fuse Box N2
22 Speaker (I use it for CD player)

Attachments

• Αντίγραφο (2) από 261.jpg
    Αντίγραφο (2) από 261.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 545

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well done on this restore. You should have enough snow to run for a while. Now get out there and have some fun. See what breaks or needs tweeking next summer.:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

nikos

ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING:wow:

The first walk around the area. The snow was wet. It was a fantastic ride. After 4 months in the garage, the feeling was very special.
Its times that you can not describe them as the stress to go all right, to operate properly, the tracks, oil, engine, electrical power is dominant.

Its times when anxiety about the success of the goal does not make you be glad, or enjoy your creature. The greatness of the creative in restoration.

The ride was about 5 miles. During this time I placed 3rd and 4th gear .. It had to work very long. The engine sounded very good.
At first everything crackling, but then was better.
The first breaths.
The first smell of the engine. The first frozen flakes of snow .... and is only beginning.:w00t2:

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 655
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 655
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 658
  • DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 656

nikos

Hi guys
March 31 - 1st April .
The snows have melted at low levels in Florina, and we can meet- find over the 1400 m, in large quantities. I believe in thin tops of the skicenter, the snow will last until April -May.Throughout this period up to green fields the snow rides with the ST4 was a very interesting experience. It was Something else.

The walks around the area was at a low altitude of 600 meters because I have not yet found a suitable trailer to move to higher levels.
So the rides were both the day and especially at night,were the snow was harder.Throughout this period there was no mechanical problem and everything was ok.
The only thing I missed, were some parts of the track, a couple of drivers.
I visit the local workshop to make -construct about 10 drivers to have for spare.

So after that fun, I went back to the garage (ten days ago) for a last act.
The end It will a bit strange - an upside down act in the overall project of the restoration. :whistling:
Some pictures for the events.

the best regards Nikos

Attachments

• 343.jpg
    343.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 620
  • 316.jpg
    316.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 612
  • 310.jpg
    310.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC00064.jpg
    DSC00064.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 324.jpg
    324.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 618

louis

Hi Nikos,

You did a great job with your snowtrack restauration ; i've been to Greece a couple times back in 1998 working on Bombardier CL215 Water bomber; i have visited Athens and worked at a military base in Tanagra and Elefsina; it was very hot there (100+ degrees). Never saw snow overthere :ermm:

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 602

nikos

The metamorphosis (camo) has began.
Ιs the last act, and then i will move with Trailer the snow trac for the final destination. My garage.

Attachments

• DSC00130.JPG
    DSC00130.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 578
  • DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 576
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 576

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good. When you say cammo, are you meaning like a winter troop transport design? Love the step you are using also!:clap:

nikos

A week ago.
I was thinking to put a third gray shade ( spots) between the two basic colors, the white 70 % and the black 30%.
But It needs more time and more surface coverage. I have been delayed, and i must leave the shed, to provide hangar space for the big trucks which come in for maintenance.

Attachments

• 388.JPG
    388.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 560
  • 393.JPG
    393.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 565

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
First class Nikos!!

You are going to have a very very nice ST4 when you are done. My compliments Sir!

Cann't wait to see the paint job finished....I like the snow cammo theme.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the only snow cammo we need around here is all white and in the fall when we hunt red and yellow fit in nice with the dieing veggitation

nikos

dds has given me a great idea to use it in the future in the Snow Trac .:yum::yum::yum:
As an artist ι must discover - invent a special color (like the toys HOT WHEELS) with hot and cold water.:wow:
So that when it snows the color start change - become red. When the temperature begins to rise and the snow melt , the color must change in camouflage.:clap:
The summer when the sun is above and the girls are pretty, the color of the Snow trac must change in the colors of our hart. The paradise of colors.:w00t2: like this VW

Attachments

• HOT WHEELS N1.jpeg
    HOT WHEELS N1.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 526
  • DSC00061.JPG
    DSC00061.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 524

nikos

Hey guys
It doesn't matter if the fields are green and the flowers bloom.
it doesnt matter if the spring arrived.
The summer season is a stage adaptation for the big return of winter.

I hope all this time until the winter time, to be a creative and productive for everyone in the Forum.:smile:

I almost finished but I left a some unfinished details (logo-mirrors), and also I need to add some items into the cabin.
The maintenance will be enhanced incremental as needs arise, in summertime.
The result with camouflage paint, satisfy me, and I believe in this level maintenance made so far in the ST4, I can check out for years the damage and be to quiet for a problem that may arise. There will always be solutions.
Besides, thats why friends are for. :smile:
Ι would like to thanks, all known - unknown friends in the forum for the valuable informations they shared with me and helped me to utilize all the tools of knowledge (Photos and experiences and skills) to reach the goal.
I feel really grateful for the help that I had received and the joy I feel for the final result.
This whole ordeal and the effort, made me feel a different man, more productive, more creative and especially practical in solving problems.
Soon I will send some photos (New thread) from an abandoned Ratrak (Next Mission) who will need help to work on snowy mountains.

the best regards NIKOS......................................to be continued

Attachments

• DSC00125.jpg
    DSC00125.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC00124.JPG
    DSC00124.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC00128.JPG
    DSC00128.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC00116.JPG
    DSC00116.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC00123.JPG
    DSC00123.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 470
  • DSC00127.JPG
    DSC00127.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 471

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Nikos it looks good and i'm not even a big fan of cammo but it does look good and is distinctly yours but you have to watch out for the hecklers they gave me a bad time about the white rims on my snow trac

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have always wanted to be seen in mine on the trail. We have lots of tight corners and fast snowmobilers. If it wasn't for that a camo would be my choice.
I agree with don ,It looks good.

nikos

Hi guys
It's summer time and in the free time I try to advance - improve the overall picture of the snow TRAC by adding materials which make the difference.

a) I First placed a new signs in the ST4

b) I registered a new version drive licence in case the vehicle
moves around in the asphalt road, especially on a Saturday and Sunday.
Daily I can move freely, in gravel roads, trails, and the plains, without any
problem.
c) I have until to December (six months) Road safety - protection.
I have the right to take issuing ( Road safety ) only during the winter months,
when the snow trac there will not circulate the remaining time.

d) I did record the club of the Hellinic Federation for the Military vehicles which are
antiques. (Thats why I had to do the try, to transform the ST4 in camouflage, only
to justify in Hellinic tax authorities, the purchase of the "Military" vehicle.)

e) I placed on the rear two new reflectors,
New rivets - bolts to support the two rear doors.
Stronger lock for each case.

Alongside i visit the local metal working machinery, and made a new pair of snow deflector similar to what was in the ST4.
Along the way, I feel that i can utilize the authentic snow deflectors, and i proceeded to restore them. I placed them in a small press - vise and in 30 min they had the previous form.

I preferred to utilize the original pair of snow Deflectors and now I have a new pair in the store.
If anyone interested I can supply new snow Deflectors along with pair metallic bases mounting on the boogie wheels.
Lynton puts - says in his books - bible: The snow is not as soft as it looks.

Don about the white rims in my ST4.
I think that the colors in the rims do not play an important decorative role. I noticed from the pictures in the forum that all the rims (Red - yellow, black, green etc) in ST4 in the winter, is covered with a lot snow.:biggrin:

So i had the same color in my rims, in the winter, the same in the summer.:yum:
I look like a white (Wild) sheep in green fields:yum::yum::yum:

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC00052.jpg
    DSC00052.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 412

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikos,

You now have one of the best looking Snow Tracs here on the forum!!!!

I hope you enjoy it very much in the comming years, and many of those !!

Very, Very NICE!!

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there you go kirk some one else with evinrude white wheels youu ain't giving him a bad time

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That looks great Nikos. Real cool design of the camo should blend in real well in the winter. Just don't get stuck or they won't find you without a beacon light. :biggrin:The countdown to next winter has begun.:wow::wow:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey but....dds,

He as winter cammo not factory red.....Beside I have a feeling the "boat is comming in" with some thing for you, and someday I'll be sayin the same to you.....

It's summer for crying out loud. Buy a can of black paint and black those wheels while you still can!

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you going with some kind of ambulance markings on it?
you never have shown us a picture with both doors open.
Jim