• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTS: 1979 Tucker Sno-Cat !!!SOLD!!!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
1979 Tucker 1642 extensively overhauled and now configured (new cab) as a 1543 (8 man cab) with 1600 series front tracks.

I have a whole bunch of photos and a 10 page document describing what was done. Rather than waste a lot of space, I'd rather have interested people contact me for more details. This is an exceptional Cat!

Asking price is $25K.

BTW, I tried unsuccessfully to post some photos with this listing. I'm a mac user and haven't been able to do it. If someone can provide "idiot proof" instructions, I'll be glad to post a few here.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Re: WTS: 1979 Tucker Sno-Cat

Despite considerable help from Pixie, still no pictures.

So... If you're interested, PM me and I'll email you whatever you'd like (lots of high resolution photos available).

utahwilson

Despite considerable help from Pixie, still no pictures.

So... If you're interested, PM me and I'll email you whatever you'd like (lots of high resolution photos available).

Owning a Mac removes any chance of you being an idiot. :brows: Mac does not have a easy way to resize the pictures. Follow the link below to see instructions on how to use iPhoto to export to a smaller footprint.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=294

or you can try this

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Okay,

I'll try Utah Wilson's suggestions, here are three pictures:

Attachments

• phpxKmRpXAM.jpg
    phpxKmRpXAM.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 2,131
  • phpz6wwaYAM.jpg
    phpz6wwaYAM.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,965
  • php8kgWo7AM.jpg
    php8kgWo7AM.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,964

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll do my best to post a few pictures of what we did (repairs/modifications).

First two photos are of the original Tucker floor. Note how many pieces are involved, and how the transmission hump doesn't sit level and has a seam in the middle.

Third photo is the new floor we made. Note the fewer pieces, the level transmission hump, how it's secured and sealed all around.

Last picture is of the rear step. On two and four door versions Tucker bolts a Pintle hook to the back of the frame. On their three doors, they add a step similar to what we did, but they also bolt a Pintle hook to this extension. We chose to weld a receiver tube instead so you have the option of using something other than a Pintle hook, and when not being used you wont bump into it by mistake.

Attachments

• php7MUAA2AM.jpg
    php7MUAA2AM.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,768
  • phpDD5xgrAM.jpg
    phpDD5xgrAM.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,760
  • phpSYf5RfAM.jpg
    phpSYf5RfAM.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,758
  • phppH7b7TAM.jpg
    phppH7b7TAM.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,738

weatherby

Very nice job on the floor...I think Tucker could have did a much better job when they designed there floors in these older Tuckers.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Blackfoot,

Any chance you could post up some more pics of the rear cab addition? In particular the rear frame around the rear door and how you modified the 'flatbed' section to get the interior foot room the rear needed. I'm going to do the same thing with my '69 442, but before I go cutting the cross-bracing, I would really like to see how you did it.

Thanks, David

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Blackfoot,

Any chance you could post up some more pics of the rear cab addition? In particular the rear frame around the rear door and how you modified the 'flatbed' section to get the interior foot room the rear needed. I'm going to do the same thing with my '69 442, but before I go cutting the cross-bracing, I would really like to see how you did it.

Thanks, David

Dave,

Here are four photos of what we did. I'm not familiar with the earlier generation of Tuckers, but in this era ('79) the frame consisted of a lower frame that was narrower and a wider upper frame.

I believe that while our design is much more time consuming to construct, it's also much more user friendly. I could literally write for several pages, but I'll just post some photos that you can look at.

Note: In the first photo there are two pieces of 3/4" x 3/4" square tubing laying across the rear area. They don't go there. There's also an extra piece of tubing in the third photo.

Attachments

• phpu7XRVMAM.jpg
    phpu7XRVMAM.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,341
  • php9v4j5LAM.jpg
    php9v4j5LAM.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,320
  • phpTZeELkAM.jpg
    phpTZeELkAM.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,299
  • phpg1mCVFAM.jpg
    phpg1mCVFAM.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,303

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

That is exactly what I was looking for. Mine is the same basic platform as yours. I've been staring at the rear of mine trying to figure out if I was just going to have a high step over the rear threshold, or cut a level floor entry. And I really like yours for ease of modification.

Were the 2 pieces of 3/4" what was used in between the side windows to give sidewall support?

Thanks!

Hey Blackfoot -

Fantastic job - looks better than a Tucker original.

I'm considering turning my '78 1642 into a 1644. Looks like your entire roof is new. What method did you use to make the top roofline curve on the aluminum sheet metal? If you have some pics or a very brief descrition of that I would greatly appreciate it. Also what gauge of sheet did you use I can't quite tell from the pictures - I know the original Tucker used is pretty thin.

Thanks - Mark

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

It's looking like Blackfoot may need to go into detail on his build to get us in the mood for snow (and to gleen great info . . .:whistling:)

:clap:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Hey Blackfoot -

Fantastic job - looks better than a Tucker original.

I'm considering turning my '78 1642 into a 1644. Looks like your entire roof is new. What method did you use to make the top roofline curve on the aluminum sheet metal? If you have some pics or a very brief descrition of that I would greatly appreciate it. Also what gauge of sheet did you use I can't quite tell from the pictures - I know the original Tucker used is pretty thin.

Thanks - Mark

Did the later 1642's have a fiberglass roof over the cab like the 442's, or were they aluminum?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Dave and Mark,

Thanks for the kind words.

It was a big job. I've included a photo of the rear of my first Tucker, a 1980 1543. This was the point of reference in terms of the design changes.

If you look at the bulkhead you'll see it's several inches below the roof and it's very difficult to get from the front of the Tucker to the back, crawling through the opening in the bulkhead. You'll also see the vertical supports are several inches inside the exterior of the Cat.

We spent considerable time on the rollbar. It was designed to be right next to the sides and in fact the skin is skip welded to the roll bar. Similarly the roof's aluminum skin is riveted to the top of the rollbar. (We painted the roll bar before the riveting and used an adhesive as well. That was to prevent or minimize galvanic corrosion.)

If you look carefully at some of the photos I posted earlier you can see the rollbar has radiused corners. My partner-in-crime Scott and I did the calculations and laid out five pie shaped cuts for each corner. Once the cuts were made (and the pies removed) Scott easily bent the 2" x 2" square tubing and welded up the cuts. This really was a pain to get it to come out exactly right.

As far as the roof itself we used 5052 aluminum sheet. IIRC is was .063. (Aluminum is sold by the decimal size as opposed to gauge.) It was the same thickness as the original Tucker roof. The drip edges were formed using a sheet metal brake, but the roll was pure Scott genius. He basically created a device to form the roll with some steel tubing in the diameter to get the radius right. It worked surprisingly (to me) well.

Obviously Scott is a pretty darn talented and creative guy. Without his skills it would have been necessary to go to a sheet metal shop and have them form the roll. (I tell people he's the brains and talent and I'm the one with the bonehead ideas.)

I've been considering a writeup, but not for this machine. Our current project is basically a Tucker "resto-mod". The cab (four door) has been rebuilt because of rust and corrosion, but except for some structural changes the cab's sheetmetal appears basically stock. Lots of modifications elsewhere: big motor, automatic transmission, hydraulic winch, frame changes, hydraulic system changes, new bed, etc. Scott calls it "Super Cat". It's been a lot of work and we aren't close to being done.

Attachments

• phpyCbxAhPM.jpg
    phpyCbxAhPM.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,201

Thanks for the information. I was kind of thinking along the same lines to form the roof curve. I've got access to a lot of scrap snowmaking pipe of various diameters and thought I could find something that might match the radius pretty close and use that as a form.

I didn't realize aluminum sheeting was sold in the thickness you described - learn something new everyday!

I did notice and appreciated the way you guys formed the bar corners, I'll have to give that a try. I'm running out of time this year to do my cab mod. Been spending the time that I can on the cat getting her running just right. Latest job is refurbishing the fuel system with a "new" original gas tank that is at a radiator shop right now getting cleaned and lined, new fuel lines and filter canister. And just completed some extensive track work with a damper wheel modification to replace the "hyfax" sliders. I'll try to start a thread on that job soon.

Thanks again for your time.

Mark

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Ajay, I sold it several years ago.

__43 and __44 Tuckers are harder to find. I believe SnoTrans has a xx43 for sale and the Tucker factory has a xx44. Good luck in your hunt!