• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowplow - home made / custom built / bought - options

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of us would agree that a plow isnt really needed, but would be useful in some or a lot of cases once we are out and about.

Plow is something that I would like to get on the current 1450 project, not something very heavy and plowing specific, but something that I could rather use to cover up a washout, or may be move out a tree branch, or even build a sledding ramp for kids...

my 2 main reasons really - washouts & off camber blowoffs that block off that small section which I would be too chicken to just go over, afraid of rolling down the hill...

So ideally, a plow thats needed - at least track width (in 1450's case roughly 74inch - right about 6-7ft wide), light weight preffered, and a MUST have/REALLY need option - to have it tilt to at least a slight angle (and not just be horizontal to the cats tracks.

I've searched on the FF here and havent found much talks on this matter.

Anyone happened to assemble one, or have a lead on what specific parts would make sense to purchase in order to build one (which I'm sure I could), just dont know where to start - need a sample to look over... :whistling:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
nick if you wanted I could send you some pics of my truck plow it may be just what you need I have a double osculating a frame which you could configure to tilt the plow with a double acting ram. the mold board is made of uhmw plastic and has stood up well to my one ton truck for over 10 years

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You could base it on something like this http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/o...mpaignId=T9F&gclid=CLC696rRmMMCFUosjgodi5QAxg

Then just add reinforcing brackets/braces and attaching points to suit your needs. And it's only 51 lbs.

For that matter, you may find lone ike that on Craigslist that somebody thought would be functional for their application and are now wanting to dump since it wasn't.

Thanks for suggestion,

I have seen that one at HomeDepot before, seems a bit flimsy/lightweight, considering that I might need to scrape some of the frozen stuff or something...

But thats a good start... Hoping to see just a regular pickup plow already working unit on CL after the season is over.

Fabbing an actual plow isnt very big problem, figuring out the engineering part of the hydro functions so it turns/twists as wanted is the part I'm having a bit of hard time at this point...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
nick if you wanted I could send you some pics of my truck plow it may be just what you need I have a double osculating a frame which you could configure to tilt the plow with a double acting ram. the mold board is made of uhmw plastic and has stood up well to my one ton truck for over 10 years

Sure thing, any detailed pictures are always welcome.

nikorlov@gmail.com

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the hydraulic functions aren't that hard its just an up down valve a double acting ram for your up and down and. a tilt and if you want angle rams and a valve for them if you are doing power angle I would suggest a cushion valve allowing the blade to angle back the other way if you hit something . for a snow cat a trip mechanism won't be necessary but a scarfire cutting edge is a must have

jp11

Snow plow that mounts on my tractor arms.. It's built with a 'tilt' of about 5 degrees either side of level. It's unpowered, just follows the terrain. I bet you could incorporate how that mounts, (it pivots on about a 4" pin) then add a short arm out from the 'stop' and have a small double acting cylinder.. that would be your tilt function. just have the stops at 25 degrees or so.

I can get a picture for you when I get home next week.

JP

jp11

the hydraulic functions aren't that hard its just an up down valve a double acting ram for your up and down and. a tilt and if you want angle rams and a valve for them if you are doing power angle I would suggest a cushion valve allowing the blade to angle back the other way if you hit something . for a snow cat a trip mechanism won't be necessary but a scarfire cutting edge is a must have

my plow has a protection on the angle function that's called a 'crossover' valve. when you hit something hard, it opens a return path on the other cylinder and lets it 'blow' in the direction to give to the object. works really well.

JP

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
If you're mounting a plow make sure the pivot points where its attached are reinforced. Can't recall how many times I've found cracks in the blade on the lamtrac. That being said I would rather have a plow on a snowcat and not need it than to be out in the woods in a snowcat without a plow and come across a creek that needs filling or stump that needs pushing and not have one.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
my plow has a protection on the angle function that's called a 'crossover' valve. when you hit something hard, it opens a return path on the other cylinder and lets it 'blow' in the direction to give to the object. works really well.

JP
in the truck plow world it is referred to as a cushion valve works the same way light duty models usually have it incorporated in the control the heavy duty models have it external like yours. they will save your bacon

tomelroy

I really like the plow setup on the vmc/utv cats. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 285