• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you lend or borrow tools & implements

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
I'm curious do you all lend your tools & implements?

I admit that I have borrowed in the past, including an old Massey that a neighbor of mine ownes. when I was using it one of the yokes broke off a cylinder. You could see where it had been re-welded rather hap hazerdly so I didn't attempt a repair myself and took it to a professional who first ground off the original weld before rewelding the yolk to the piston. It looked better than the original weld and it has held ever since. It was my responsibility to return it in good or better shape then when it was borrowed.

In the past few years we have loaned our landscape rake, plow, rotary cutter, finish mower, tiller, and even a few power tools only to have them retured broken and fixed at our expense.

After pulling $$$$ out of our own pockets we now have a new policy: We no longer borrow equipment, if we need to use it and we don't own it, then we will be renting it ourselves. And please don't ask we no longer loan, if you need one call the rental yard, we'll look the phone number up for you. That way if it breaks while you are abusing the damn thing it isn't going to cost us a red-cent.

Thanks for letting me vent, I needed to get that off my chest, I feel better now :D

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Mike....... how about repaying the $500 I loaned you till your great uncle straightened out?? I will take it in any denomination bills you care to send. :whistle: I'll loan you my wife if you promise not to return her. :wave:

Last edited:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to borrow my neighbors tractor when the garden needed plowing. That was after he passed on, his widow told me to use it anytime. Before that, he would do the plowing for me.
They always left plenty of fuel when they went to Florida for the winter. She has since sold it, so there is nothing I borrow any more. She lives alone but has relatives that will help her out, so for her to borrow anything would be a rare case, if you ask me. She will occasionally go raid my junk pile if she needs anything, but she always brings my junk back :cool:
The neighbor on the other side, well lets suffice it to say, I have spoke to her 3 times in 6 years, so........no borrowing/lending there. My brother will borrow a tool now and then, but it's rare since one of my saws was stolen while he was using it. He replaced it with a better one. Now, When I feel the need to go buy a new/better tool, he always gets the old one. There's not much he needs to borrow now :D

I would only think it's right to fix or replace a borrowed tool if it broke while I was using it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 neighbors that I lend things to. Both are partners in a machine shop that my business also does business with. Both are better at most anything than I am when it comes to anything involving machines. Both also lend me stuff. But we have rules, the golden one being the guy with "it" is responsible for "it" and nobody has abused that. We have also purchased some equipment/implements together.

No other neighbors get to borrow things.

I will also lend some things to a guy at work, he is a far better carpenter than I am, he's bailed me out a few times. He treats my stuff better than I do. No other co-workers or friends or even my brother get my tools.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Over the years it has really surprised me what people ask to borrow, trucks, trailers, powertools, my garage, and yes, even guns, and my tractor.:4_11_9: There are only a couple guys I loan anything to, but ofcourse that is reciprocal. I had a guy ask to use my tooltrailer once, this was one of the jackasses that would drag it at 80mph+, and would leave me fixing any damage. :mad: Anymore when someone asks to borrow a truck or trailer, I tell them sure, but it doesn't leave my yard without me driving it. Like I said, there are people I'll loan to, 1 of my brothers, and 2 friends. :D That's it!! I know these guys wouldn't screw me, we've all been around long enough to have a conscience.

Now if anyone wants to borrow some of these bloody leaves falling all over, go ahead, I'll even let ya keepem.:wave: :beer:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
What I hate are the people that have borrowed tools and don't return them. Then when you ask for them back, they deny that they borrowed them. I loaned my power actuated Remington stud gun to someone and then they said that they never borrowed it and didn't need to because they already owned one. Now, I won't lend anything to any one no matter who they are or how badly they need it. :mad: :gun2: :gun1: :angry3:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Generally, NO and NO. As for the tractor, I would rather do the work myself anyway.

As for tools, if you have to borrow from me, you have NO tools at all. I have a very limited arsenal of tools.

Guns, DONT EVEN ASK. Every gun I have is special, meaning it came to me from someone that is past away, Dad, Brother, or a gift, past employer. I dont even shoot them

Vehicle, only if you promise to wreck it and have insurance to pay for it.......and dont get hurt yourself.

Dont know anyone that would ask for anything else, so we wont go there.

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Junkman said:
Mike....... how about repaying the $500 I loaned you till your great uncle straightened out?? I will take it in any denomination bills you care to send. :whistle: I'll loan you my wife if you promise not to return her. :wave:

Junk sorry don't need the wife and as for the $500 we'll let's just call it even since you sent my daughter back some months ago. :whistle:

BadAttitude

PineRidge said:
I'm curious do you all lend your tools & implements?
I'll loan a tool if someones in trouble and needs it ASAP. Otherwise I generally don't. I make my living with my tools and when that tool is missing or broken, I lose $$. Hand tools are somewhat expendable, so not really an issue. But when it comes to the big ticket $$$ ones like the tractor & implements, or the expensive Fluke meters, scan tools, etc., forget it. Those I won't loan out to anybody...

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I do my level best not to borrow ,or lend tools anymore. It just seems cheaper to by what I need , than to borrow something , break it ,pay for it,and give it to the rightful owner . As for lending them out , I'm less strident about not doing it . I limit it to things like hand tools . John

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Junkman said:
Would you believe that is Mike's (Pineridge) daughter??????? :whistle:
I thought Mike only had a son........whoever the plastic surgeon was SURE did a good job !! I bet Junk can't even tell what was removed/replaced !!

Chief

As a rule I don't loan things out. If a friend needs some help, I will go help them or do the task with my item they want to borrow myself. If they can't afford to buy a new item; they shouldn't be borrowing it anyway. Better for them to rent and save a friendship.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Years ago I lent a chainsaw to my boss. I thought it would be nice to stop and help him, but when I pulled into his drive I watched him cutting vines along the edge of his drive. Pretty sparks were coming off the concrete at the chain hit it. I no longer lend tools to anyone other than my Father and one friend (who can afford to replace anything he ruins). My sons no longer have keys to my garage due to mis-use and lost tools.

Yeah, I know. I'm selfish...but I still have my tools!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It's come to my attention that I don't lend any tools or implements; apparently I just give them away. :( I guess I'll have to change that too. That'll be a new addition to my grumpy ass "New Rules" post. ;)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
It's come to my attention that I don't lend any tools or implements; apparently I just give them away. :(
There's an old saying...
"I'd rather lend my wife then my tools. My wife MAY come back"

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BadAttitude said:
Hmm...sounds like the Mods at FF are starting a wife swapping party ;)

Trading Spouses?:whistle:
I wasn't aware we were swapping spouses but if so, Junk can I borrow your wife (the one in his avatar) for a couple hours. I have a 15 minute project to do but want a couple extra hours to become more familiar with the equipment. ;)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
15 minutes to plow a inch & a half furrow ?? Hardly worth hookin' it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm laughing so friggin' hard I can hardly type :tiphat:

humor_me

Junkman said:
What I hate are the people that have borrowed tools and don't return them. Then when you ask for them back, they deny that they borrowed them. I loaned my power actuated Remington stud gun to someone and then they said that they never borrowed it and didn't need to because they already owned one. Now, I won't lend anything to any one no matter who they are or how badly they need it. :mad: :gun2: :gun1: :angry3:

I agree with you Junkman. But, add this - I hate it when someone has borrowed something who chain loans it to someone else.
I loaned a "buddy" an impact wrench and when I went to get it back, I got all sorts of "I've got to see if I can find it" stories. I ended up taking the rear wheels of his Ranger hostage until I got satisfaction. After six weeks when I started trying to get him to return it, I got it the following day after I took the hostage.

About three years passed by before the idiot stopped by. Come to find out his problem was a coke habit. He owed everyone in town. When one of the "heavies" came and leaned on him with a crew, they cleaned him out of everything of value.

Anyway, I no longer loan things, be it a tool or a five dollar bill. I also no longer associate with flakes. And I never ask to borrow things.

Sometimes life is a stern teacher.
:fart2:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Ever have anyone ask you if they could borrow a Kleenex?

:puke1:

No f'ing way!

Farmwithjunk

My wife has 10 sisters and 2 brothers. (NO, I don't lend the wife, but you can buy her... )(JOKING) That gives me 12 Bro-in-laws on that side. 3 sisters with 3 MORE BIL's.

If I was to lend them ANYTHING, I'd never see it again. (All 15 of 'em)

There's one friend, Ed, that can HAVE anything I own. He's taken the same approach with me. Funny thing is, we don't borrow much from each other. If we need it, we buy it ourselves.

One nephew that borrowed a tractor from his best friend and promptly ran it into a 10' deep pond. He's most definately off the borrowers list, if he was ever on it.