• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Sno Cat Inquiry

Paytpon.msf

Hello all, I am new here and have a few questions about a Thiokol Sno Cat that I obtained. I'm Really hoping that some of you guys can help me out a bit and if so, I'd really appreciate it. So I have just recently bought a Thiokol Sno cat Model#1401. It is in very good condition, and I have very high hopes of restoring it to its former glory! I really want to find out as much as I can about the model I have and any info you might know would be awesome.

From the research I have done, I found out that it was produced in 1963 for the military to haul supply sleds in Alaska, but the military never bought into it. Thiokol then in 1964 produced the same model available as a utility/hunting vehicle to civilians. It was only manufactured for one year, and then they dropped the production. The Stamping production numbers that are on my Thiokol say that it is the 13th one made in the production line. I really would like to know exactly what I have, and really, if there is value in it. The thing is so cool, and after a few days of working on it, I got the brakes working and it runs and turns amazingly! I really would like to know what I have got and if any of you have information on it, I really would appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Paytpon.msf

Sorry about the pictures, Ill attempt again.

Attachments

• IMG_0998[1].jpg
    IMG_0998[1].jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1003[1].jpg
    IMG_1003[1].jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 399

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That thing is mighty unusual. Does not look like any thiokol I ever saw. Be patient as the snow cat folks come on in the evenings as a rule.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the thing is small, actually more looks more like a newer imp than the other Wisconsin powered imps did

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
unless i'm missing something it looks like the rear sprocket also is a road wheel

Paytpon.msf

That thing is mighty unusual. Does not look like any thiokol I ever saw. Be patient as the snow cat folks come on in the evenings as a rule.

Thanks for the tips, especially the picture thread. It is quite unusual compared to the other models I have seen. SO you can imagine that I'm very excited to find out exactly what I have!

the thing is small, actually more looks more like a newer imp than the other Wisconsin powered imps did

It is basically the same size as the other IMP models around the same year (1963-1965) But it is totally different.

unless i'm missing something it looks like the rear sprocket also is a road wheel
The rear sprocket is definitely a sprocket. Its just that the picture is deceiving. I want to get more pictures of it as soon as I get the chance. Another thing I find interesting about the IMP models similar to this one, is that all the ones I have seen have a four cylinder Wisconsin 30hp motor. However, My Thiokol has a OMC (Outboard Motor Company) Horizontally opposed two cylinder. Not sure on the specs of the engine.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the omc was 30 horse as I remember and Cushman tracksters didn't fair well with them they had a poor cooling most guys replaced them with Honda 4 strokes

Paytpon.msf

From what I just researched, the OMC is 30hp. Good to know that it is known to over heat. I will definitely be carful not to over run it. Another Question, do you think that the OMC Motor is original? I'm pretty certain that it is just because it fits perfectly under the service panels and such. Another interesting thing, heads of each cylinder are exposed into the cab. They are covered by a heat shield of course but there is one on the passenger side, and one on the Driver. (Because its horizontally opposed, the covers extend past the service panel a few inches into the cab and it actually works like a heater. When all the canvas for the cab is on, the heat from the shields make it nice and toasty inside. I think that's a pretty awesome feature.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hello.msf

Neat looking machine, that machine looks a lot like the machine featured in the turbinator thread. search nixson or turbinator and the machine at the center of that thread is a air cooled 1401 as well.

the Shipping weight of 1402 seems unique to me as I think mine is a touch heavier than that.
Welcome to the forum.
Perhaps your machine was a unique commission for a specific task? the front sheetmetal has the look of an amphibious design.
If only these machines could talk.

MIke

Paytpon.msf

Thx for the response Mike! From what I know from the guy I bought it from, The guy said that his dad bought the machine new from Thiokol, and then gave it to him a few years later. He had since kept it in the back of a Tractor trailer till he moved to PA and then it sat in his pole barn for the last 14 years. So its basically a One owner piece. If its at all amphibious it would be really awesome! So another question would be this. "Since Most of the other units of this model look different and I cant find one that looks just like it, is it a good chance that it was something requested by the buyer, and its the only one like it?"

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought this original sale ad off E-Bay that looks like what you have. looks like the windshield and body tub were options. Is this ad something you might want?

Attachments

• thiokol ad 2.jpg
    thiokol ad 2.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 636
Hello all, I am new here and have a few questions about a Thiokol Sno Cat that I obtained. I'm Really hoping that some of you guys can help me out a bit and if so, I'd really appreciate it. So I have just recently bought a Thiokol Sno cat Model#1401. It is in very good condition, and I have very high hopes of restoring it to its former glory! I really want to find out as much as I can about the model I have and any info you might know would be awesome.

From the research I have done, I found out that it was produced in 1963 for the military to haul supply sleds in Alaska, but the military never bought into it. Thiokol then in 1964 produced the same model available as a utility/hunting vehicle to civilians. It was only manufactured for one year, and then they dropped the production. The Stamping production numbers that are on my Thiokol say that it is the 13th one made in the production line. I really would like to know exactly what I have, and really, if there is value in it. The thing is so cool, and after a few days of working on it, I got the brakes working and it runs and turns amazingly! I really would like to know what I have got and if any of you have information on it, I really would appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
Welcome to the forum! you came to the right place! I have only been on here for two days now and have learned more about these old machines than I have in the past ten years, but I have not really been searching as I restored my tucker in 2001 and have been happy with it every since, but my buddy just got a thiokol and I found this gold mine of information and helpful people, these guys and everybody on here Will find out everything you need to know! its an awesome site as far as I am concerned, they have spec sheets to share, stories,articles, documents and on and on, my brain is about to explode from all the info I have read in the past two days! :wow:your search has ended! the tracks stop here! spend a week or so researching this site adn you will find your answers and if not someone most likley will for you
take care and be safe! nice little machine and the tag dont lie, it's a thiokol! nice find, if you dont mind what ya give for it? I understand if you dont want to say, just inquiring.
ccccccyyyyyyyyyaaaaaa! humpmaster out!