• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Antenna Help Needed

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, guys, I picked up the Ten-Tec Omni D tonight, and now I need a a close quarters antenna covering 80-10 meters. What say you???? I have an IQ just above a banana peel, so I'm capable of building something if need be (That 2m stick I built yesterday actually works, with an SWR of 1.5:1 before trimming). Actually, I'd prefer to make it rather than to buy it. I live on a 1/3 acre lot in a residential development, so I don't have the luxury of building an antenna farm. Attic space is an option for installation, or along side of the fireplace for a vertical antenna. Bring it, dudes!

Oh, I learned today that the local electrical suppliers no longer handle RG58U coax. The electronics store wants an arm & leg without even giving a kiss, so I'm looking to the Internet to buy a couple hundred feet of the stuff. Anyone got a lead on some cheap prices for the stuff?

loboloco

For the RG58U, might want to check a military disposal yard. Not the foggiest on the antenna.

fubar

I gots an answer...
It may be that you need an antenna tuner... and I don't know the best brand as I don't need to use one.

Here is the principal as I understand it...anybody with better knowledge, please chime in and get us on the correct course!!

With this here antenna tuner you can run a single antenna and the tuner "absorbs" the off frequency transmition, thus allowing you to transmit on an 'improper length' antenna.
That being said, it does negatively affect the outgoing signal, but, it allows you to function with one antenna (handy in a subdivision inviron), and is protects your radio from an improper load on the finals.
At any rate, check the distributers for an antenna tuner, read the individual adds and you should be able to gleen a better definition.

An alternate solution is an antenna made by Hustler. I have one and the way it works is it has switchable elements and is a vertical omni. I just recently purchased a plate that attaches to the antenna and allows me to attach three additional elements, simaltaneously. (I ain't gotta keep switchin). It is a hinged antenna designed for a vehicle mobile situation. I'm sure that you can rig up a suitable ground plane for a 'base station' type of arrangement.

While these may not be the best answers, it should give you some ideas what to pursue.

Last edited:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. Part of learning a new hobby is learning the vernacular. I'm headed off now to learn about antenna tuners. FWIW, I've seen them on Craigs list, so they are available on the used market. As fara as military surplus, we just don't have places like that here in NE Ohio. I found a couple of places with fair pricing on 100' and 500' spools, so I'll probably just order something online. The 100' is half the price of Radio Shack for the same specs. No surprise there.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
in the military we have to pack every thing what we used was a nvis antenna wich was a diapole and it required some adjustments for different bands but they work well and can be put up in confined places depending on the configuration you usewe used them on all our hf equipment try looking at mil surplus for a nvis kit i know there are also some comercial suppliers

fubar

Oh shoot...I skipped right over you cable question.

While you're out scrounging.....
Top drawer stuff is RG 8, ie. anatomy cable, (big around as your thumb, cost an arm and a leg to buy)

rg8m, rg58x and rg8x rg58, all good
look for those

rg59, wrong stuff

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
rg-8 is the prefered cable for a base instalation with a long run and high power the 8x 58x and 58 au all have different volocity factors that must be incorperated in to your antenna desighn the 58 is old school but works good on mobile applications 8 x is now the prefered cable for mobile applications i also have a couple hundred feet of 213 cable that has a real high vf.