• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2005 Tucker 2000XL Federal Surplus

PJL

In Yakima Washington. 1261 hrs.
Currently on the non public GSA site. I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know if it hits the public web site.

Attachments

• 14052393190001A.JPG
    14052393190001A.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 848

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In Yakima Washington. 1261 hrs.
Currently on the non public GSA site. I'll keep an eye on it and let you guys know if it hits the public web site.
pete ,that would be a good one to get. if it checks out ok. who owned it?
jim

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
not long ago you didn't have any. who owned it before being put up as surplus?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
single wheel carriers.

Puts lots of stress on the fiberglass rods inside the tracks.

Good cruiser cat.

not a worker as evidenced by the carriers and lack of rear hyd circuits.

$.02 worth of opinion

PJL

Belonged to the Bureau of Reclamation. They used it to access repeater sites. It has a few minor issues but overall in good shape. The tracks are a year or 2 old. That's $20k right there.

Has the Chrysler transmission. Not an Allison.
I would agree that it's a cruiser.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
single wheel carriers.

Puts lots of stress on the fiberglass rods inside the tracks.

Good cruiser cat.

not a worker as evidenced by the carriers and lack of rear hyd circuits.

$.02 worth of opinion

I was told the terra was built lighter and for cabin type access

PJL

Correct. It's close to our LMC1200 size and weight wise. Utility trail cat. Not a groomer.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
The tracks are a year or 2 old. That's $20k right there.

I find the track situation concerning: This machine is 15 years old and has only 1,261 hours, yet the Uber-expensive Terra Tracks have been replaced...already. $20K for new tracks over 13 years is just over $1,500 per year in belt cost.

Admittedly, it has fewer hours but the track belts on Snowzilla are 40 years old. New belts are roughly $225 each and there are 16...$3,600. One could say less than $100 a year in terms of belt cost, but they haven't been replaced yet....

I prefer the Allison to the Chrysler transmission as well...

PJL

Perhaps rocks and dirt were encountered while operating. And when your wealthy Uncle Sam pays the bills...

PJL

Yeah, sorry. I pay taxes too. The bid just topped 50K. 5 days to go. They might get the money back they spent on tracks. The reserve was 40 which GSA was willing to sell to us direct for that amount. Too bad I work for penny pinchers. That was a screaming good deal.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, sorry. I pay taxes too. The bid just topped 50K. 5 days to go. They might get the money back they spent on tracks. The reserve was 40 which GSA was willing to sell to us direct for that amount. Too bad I work for penny pinchers. That was a screaming good deal.

it may have been for the best. it could have been radioactive.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If that is a good deal, call track inc.

You can buy them from the monico dealer for less.......

and even get better cats.

NDPilot

SUPER Site Supporter
Belonged to the Bureau of Reclamation. They used it to access repeater sites. It has a few minor issues but overall in good shape. The tracks are a year or 2 old. That's $20k right there.

What's the story with the trailer? The post says that it is a Big Dog. Do they stock that or custom make it?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
IDK ? on the trailer.

I can't get over the 55K price tag for a 4cyl tucker.

the narrowish straight blade is curious as well.

I love the hwy guard on the glass.

Track inc needs to sell their cats in the rocky mountains and points beyond

PJL

$71,914.00 was the final price. So yeah I think $40,000 would have been a good deal for us.

Really didn't think it would go that high.

HankScorpio

Yes $72,000 is a ton of money. But, isn't that like half price from a new one? It looked to be in good condition and did have new tracks. Too much money to add to my fleet but I woudn't say someone got a bad deal either. We are talking about a vehicle that can go to some of the most extreme terrain on the planet.

PJL

Jeff Godard told me that a new 2000XL with trailer is about 180K. This particular one has a leaky transmission and the blade control seeps. A little rust along the front probably from road crud while being trailered. Actually a really nice cat and should be great after a little TLC. They told me only one guy operated it while they had it. In my mind that's a good sign.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
At first blush that machine does appear to offer great value. My personal philosophy is to buy used vehicles in great shape, with very low miles. Let the previous owner(s) eat the depreciation, while I get the usage out of the vehicle at a much lower overall cost per mile. This Tucker would seem to meet that criteria.

But here’s the counterpoint: Current production Tuckers are certainly nice. Comfortable, quiet, capable, what’s not to like? But they are much more technologically sophisticated. With that sophistication comes complexity. I think the vast majority of forum members work on their own snowcats. When problems arise (and they do) they can usually figure out what’s wrong, get the parts (unless maybe it’s a SnowTrac (...couldn’t resist :laugh3::clap::laugh3:)) and rectify the problem. I’m not sure that’s so with the newer Tuckers. If there’s an issue with that fancy, high-dollar Cummins QSB Tier 4i engine, you may very well need some high-dollar diagnostic equipment to figure out what’s ailing it.

The machine that just sold probably doesn’t have that same level of sophistication, and I’m not sure where it lies on the spectrum from the simple machines of yesteryear to today’s technological marvels, but I have reservations about it, nonetheless. I mentioned in my earlier post my Terra Track cost concerns. Redsqwrl has pointed out previously that some Terra Tracks are no longer available. Whoa there…You are dead in the water. If you can’t get new tracks, you have to go to Plan B, which would be changing out a whole lot of other parts to install a different set of tracks. That is not cheap.

The leaking transmission is a Chrysler 49RE. I’d never heard of it, Googled it, and found almost nothing. Chrysler made a 47RE and a 48RE and I think the 49RE for a short period. Apparently the internal parts are the same, at least it says so on the Internet, but not a whole lot of information. It is electronically controlled, so it has that to deal with as well. Today, after its trip through bankruptcy, Chrysler is owned by Fiat. Back when this transmission was made, Chrysler was owned by Daimler. How difficult is it going to be to get parts for that transmission in say, ten years?

My wife likes to sew, and she’s incredibly good at it. About the time this Tucker was being built I bought my wife a used Bernina sewing machine in fantastic condition. A few weeks ago it was having issues and I brought it in for service. The diagnosis? A bad track ball, a bad motherboard and some minor mechanical parts that needed replacement. But here’s the gut punch: the track ball and motherboard…are no longer available. That puts that machine in the SnowTrac league: You’re looking for used parts in hopefully better condition than your existing used parts. And with electronic parts…no thanks...

Within the last week or two there was a Wall Street Journal article about the resurgence in value for older tractors. Apparently many farmers are tired of the technological sophistication of the newer machines. When they break, they can’t repair them because they don’t have the expensive diagnostic equipment, or the training on how to use it. That puts them at the mercy of their local dealer’s service department, and they don’t like it. The farmers think back a couple of decades and the machines had a lot of power, capability, and comfort, but they were still within the realm of their repair skills. I see a parallel with the new(er) snowcats…

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
either the sixth or seventh from the bottom recently sold to a club near me.

it was $54K

https://www.trackinc.com/used-vehicles/

I disdain dealers. however I think i might have to start buying cats from the dealer, putting a fresh air cleaner in them and trucking them west.

NOW, in regards to the snow trac poke. here in the 300 h-h boat we ( hey kirk hold my oar I want to type with both hands ) don't buy parts rigs for the parts. WE build the parts as the most complicated part on the Snow trac is a tin duct that may or may not have a bend for the oil cooler in it.

we don't have the luxury of running down to napa for the consumables like tucker owners. You know where they sell sprockets and idler wheels and carrier sleeves.
:th_lmao:

Just imagine, Monster Mike .... Now Where is the $5000 a gallon paint.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
either the sixth or seventh from the bottom recently sold to a club near me.

it was $54K

https://www.trackinc.com/used-vehicles/

I disdain dealers. however I think i might have to start buying cats from the dealer, putting a fresh air cleaner in them and trucking them west.

NOW, in regards to the snow trac poke. here in the 300 h-h boat we ( hey kirk hold my oar I want to type with both hands ) don't buy parts rigs for the parts. WE build the parts as the most complicated part on the Snow trac is a tin duct that may or may not have a bend for the oil cooler in it.

we don't have the luxury of running down to napa for the consumables like tucker owners. You know where they sell sprockets and idler wheels and carrier sleeves.
:th_lmao:

Just imagine, Monster Mike .... Now Where is the $5000 a gallon paint.

Redsqwrl,

I confess, when it comes to poking the SnowTrac bear...I just can't help myself.... But please realize my pokes are meant in jest. Believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for "The B Model": aka "ST4B", "Trac Master" or "Snow Master".

I'm sure you saw this among Track Inc's offerings:

https://www.trackinc.com/used-vehicles/entry/20/

Here's part of the description:"26″ x 150″ used rubber tracks. Tracks are in poor condition, this size has been discontinued"

I have no idea what they're asking for the machine, but I find that Scary (capital S), as that same situation could apply to any Terra Track size/configuration in the future. If you find out the tracks are being discontinued, do you buy a complete set for $20K plus- in case you need them in the future? Or perhaps you find out after the fact, and your Tucker's value just took a major haircut.

If you and Kirk have the capability to make all the SnowTrac parts you need, that's truly great. I'd venture to guess though not everyone has the equipment, the skill, or the desire to do so.

I enjoy the discussion, but please don't take my attempts at SnowTrac humor seriously...

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I missed that little gem.

I have some steel tracks that would fit right on there

I have no visions of anything on the internet anything more than entertainment, you were supposed to get a visual of us going in circles with only one rowing........

as much as i hate "call for pricing", i appreciate the fact that they list the condition openly.

HankScorpio

I missed that little gem.

I have some steel tracks that would fit right on there

I have no visions of anything on the internet anything more than entertainment, you were supposed to get a visual of us going in circles with only one rowing........

as much as i hate "call for pricing", i appreciate the fact that they list the condition openly.

I also dislike "call for pricing", but the couple of times I have called it was no problem. They happily gave me the price and contact info for the consigner.