• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB Tucker Turntables Front and Rear

Z1TURBOCAT

Site Supporter
I have a 1975 Tucker 1542 that has a lot of wear on the aluminum turntables for the front and rear. I would like to replace them if I can find some. Does anyone know if the steel ones on the later 1500 series machines would fit in place of the aluminum? Does anyone have good replacements that you can part with? Also looking for replacement or suitable replacement door handle and latch assembly for the passenger side door.

My 1976 1542 has steel turntables. It's also a diesel engine unit so maybe mine was equipped with steel to handle the heavier engine? I've wondered when steel came in and when aluminum went out, if it was model specific, date specific or both?

olympicorange

My 1976 1542 has steel turntables. It's also a diesel engine unit so maybe mine was equipped with steel to handle the heavier engine? I've wondered when steel came in and when aluminum went out, if it was model specific, date specific or both?

…….. is yours the 1/2'' or 5/8'' thick steel plates.... are they reinforced, or the flat type.... which engine does yours have...pics??? :thumbup:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Finding tables that don’t need work will be a big ask.

They are reasonably easily to rebuild and re-bush to make them better than new. They will also be serviceable again for the future if they wear our.

A little welding and grinding if the cosmetic table top wear bothers you. Plenty have broken and been welded lasted many years.

Lots of rebuild info available if you decide to go that route let us know and the info will flow.

Z1TURBOCAT

Site Supporter
I figured it would be a long shot but you won't know if you don't ask. The ones I have are still functional and I can rebuild them but the gouges in the top of the plate concern me. I'm not very familiar with welding aluminum and don't want to just give them to any old weld shop and have them %$!# them up if you know what I mean. I'm planning on tearing the tracks down over the summer to replace belts, recover sprockets, bearings, seals and whatever else comes up. I'll take out the turntables and thought it would be nice to have replacements ready to go back in if I could. would you happen to know what size the bushings would be for the shackle bolts and any other advise would be helpful.
Thanks for the constructive feedback

Z1TURBOCAT

Site Supporter
I wonder if anyone has ever tried welding a plate of aluminum on the topside of a turntable? Any thoughts? There are also some really good industrial grade epoxy/adhesives out there now.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is there room enough to allow a 1/4" steel plate cut to fit the top of the turntables? Maybe even a bit thicker?
Epoxied to the aluminum and screwed down with counter sunk screws?

Just wondering if this is an option.

Regards, Kirk

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Is there room enough to allow a 1/4" steel plate cut to fit the top of the turntables? Maybe even a bit thicker?
Epoxied to the aluminum and screwed down with counter sunk screws?

Just wondering if this is an option.

Regards, Kirk

have seen several fifth wheels repaired and upgraded? done that very way...

Z1TURBOCAT

Site Supporter
I'm glad to here that others have been successful doing it. I go back and forth over steel vs aluminum plate. Just wondering if steel on top of aluminum would cause any electrolysis/corrosion. I guess I'd have to use steel screws so it's probably irrelevant. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm glad to here that others have been successful doing it. I go back and forth over steel vs aluminum plate. Just wondering if steel on top of aluminum would cause any electrolysis/corrosion. I guess I'd have to use steel screws so it's probably irrelevant. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

The epoxy would seal out moister between the dissimilar metals. It would also fill the holes made in the aluminum by wear. Is the pivot pin long enough to accept the additional thickness is the real question..

But I am far from a Tucker expert...

Regards, Kirk

Mtn-Track

Bring them up to Ft. Collins when you get them off. We'll take a look and help you decide if fixing the aluminum is the best option or just making new ones out of steel is the better way to go. We have the capability to do both in our shop.

-Stu

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are adding a wear plate to the aluminum fifth wheel, think about what is going on with the trunnion. If you add height to it you will disturb the parallel unless you mill out the fifth wheel for the thickness of the plate or you reduce the diameter of the roller. Mill and install a bushing for the pivot at the other end of the trunnion. You could make the bushing taller by the thickness of your wear plate. Three options now. Stainless steel flat top cap screws with Allen sockets have worked fine for me. Also I would remove the spacer at the roller and make a new longer roller or add a roller the same thickness as the spacer. This reduces the psi and better spreads the load.

Z1TURBOCAT

Site Supporter
I just want to say thanks to all of you that have commented on this. I really am getting a much better understanding of what I'm in for when I get into this.
Kevin

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Page 11 on in my thread forward will take you through what is going on in the rear. Only thing I would have done differently is used the flanged pivot bearing in the table there also. With the replaceable UHMW slide blocks set correct it doesn't really matter but would have been nice additional protection in case of a bad future owner when I am dead.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Only hundred or so miles on the rear and 20 on the front.

Good for my usage. The factory uses it so hoping that's the solution.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I just want to say thanks to all of you that have commented on this. I really am getting a much better understanding of what I'm in for when I get into this.
Kevin

can you post a picture of the your fifth wheels, I would like see the condition and the issues you are concerned with, thank you

Z1TURBOCAT

Site Supporter
I will when I can get to it. It's actually in the garage at 10,000 ft. and the roads are drifted shut until spring. Hence the need for Tucker, I have a SxS with tracks but I'm really pushing it with the snow the way it's been and I hate shoveling.