• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 601

crafttree

The fun begins? Got all the wheels off on one side and all the bearings were in good shape, that was the good news.:smile: It did not take long to see that the bushing was out in the rear suspension arm, only one missing, can a new bushing be made and pressed in or do I need to find another arm?
The manual says that all four wheels are connected to one large central spring. Looking at the photos there are what looks like two tubes with springs in them Right? Both rear cylinders in the suspension look like what ever was functioning inside is long since worn out. Do both tubes have springs in them or is the rear one some kind of shock? Am I looking at replacing this part of the suspension or rebuilding?
Hopefully you guys have some answers or suggestions for me.
Looking closer underneth I could see the whole chassis has been lifted so the axle will clear the rear frame cross member.

Attachments

• DSC01916.jpg
    DSC01916.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 512
  • DSC01922.jpg
    DSC01922.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC01931.jpg
    DSC01931.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 506

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the world of the 4T.
I think this will serve as the first detailed 4T suspension 'redo' so we're all going to take note...just rip it all open and dig in there. ;)
Worst case scenario, the machine has enough other mods... you can yank out all that suspension and drop in spryte axles ...see posts by tomelroy who bought one already mod'd with spryte axles and tracks.

crafttree

Into the oc-15 rear end today, looks brand new in there including the brake bands. The slave cylinders are leaking so I need to see where to go to get them rebuilt or purchase new.
There is a bushing or rubber gromet in the case where the shaft goes thru, do these need to be replaced? The shafts were pitted a little looks like some new ones are in order.:smile:

Attachments

• DSC01936.jpg
    DSC01936.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC01941(1).jpg
    DSC01941(1).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 456

crafttree

These are the slave cylinders that were on the oc-15

Attachments

• DSC01939.jpg
    DSC01939.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC01940.jpg
    DSC01940.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 448

weatherby

Into the oc-15 rear end today, looks brand new in there including the brake bands. The slave cylinders are leaking so I need to see where to go to get them rebuilt or purchase new.
There is a bushing or rubber gromet in the case where the shaft goes thru, do these need to be replaced? The shafts were pitted a little looks like some new ones are in order.:smile:

Those seals that the shafts go through can and should be replaced, they are inexpensive. If your shafts are pitted, you should look into getting new ones, or your new seals will still probably leak. I made my new shafts out of stainless rod.

crafttree

Brake fluid was used in the brake system on my machine. I was reading about enerpac cylinders and they say to use only hydrolic fluid. What is best to use in the oc-15 brake steer system. I have heard mention of using atf, brake fluid or hydraulic fluid. Any opinions? Advantages of one over another?:unsure:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Brake fluid was used in the brake system on my machine. I was reading about enerpac cylinders and they say to use only hydrolic fluid. What is best to use in the oc-15 brake steer system. I have heard mention of using atf, brake fluid or hydraulic fluid. Any opinions? Advantages of one over another?:unsure:
the thiokol guys would kow best but i would guess that you would want to use something like 5606 aviation hydraulic oil

crafttree

I got all the new parts and have everything back together. Putting the tracks back together today. How does one tell what the proper track tension should be on 601 tracks?:ermm:

crafttree

I finally got the spare track that came with the 4t10/601. The belts look new and the grousers are in pretty good shape too. The deal keeps getting better.
My partners son works for NASA and recognized an airforce # on the ID tag. He said with that number he can look up the history of this machine, where its been etc. Has anyone heard of being able to do this? If its possible, it sure would be interesting to know where that old girl has been.

I also got 4 extra 4t10 manuals that came with it.:smile:

Attachments

• DSC02844.jpg
    DSC02844.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC02845.jpg
    DSC02845.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 292

MAD

Barber 1981 I am a new owner as well and in Masonville co Where will you run the 601? Maybe we can go for a trip together. I would like to see your progress on the new purchase. Enjoy.

crafttree

I am in eastern oregon, might be a bit of a stretch for getting together for a ride. No one in my area owns a snocat that I know of so it looks like solo trips for me. I imagine once the word gets out I will have a few folks that x country ski that will want to get into the back country for some sking though. I got lucky with the purchase of this machine, it was a fairly easy restoration job to get it ready for the snow.