• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Installed 'touring' windshields to the motorcycles

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
These were highly recommended => https://madstad.com

Installed them on both motorcycles. They also came with side/wing deflectors.

18" tall for the lovely Mrs_Bob
20" tall for me

They are designed so you ride inside a 'bubble' of low pressure air that is deflected up over the windshield. The rider is supposed to look over the top of the windshield. As I am taller, my windscreen is taller. They have a chart based on height that recommends what size to buy. I traded a couple emails with them, they gave me a discount & answered all my questions.

Brackets and hardware are identical for each bike, completely interchangeable between the two despite being different years and slightly different models.

2 minor foibles during the install. On the 2016 I dropped one of the black finished nuts and was unable to find it. Had to substitute a stainless lock nut. Blame that one on user incompetence and fat fingers. On the 2018 the fault lies squarely with MadStad. They accidentally shipped 4 plastic washers instead of 4 metal washers for the Wing Deflector install. The plastic washers don't fit the bolts used to install the Wing Deflectors. I could have drilled them out and used them but instead just decided to skip them as I could not find any stainless washers that fit in my parts bins. Other than these 2 minor issues the install was pretty quick and frustration free.

Overall I'm pleased, they look great, clearly will offer more wind protection on long rides. I have NOT taken either out on the road as I am recovering from being rear ended yesterday while I sat at a stop light (I was in a pick up truck).

Looking forward to trying these out on the street and to get them adjusted for myself and my wife. Love the NC7x bikes but at highway speeds I want to stop the wind buffeting on my upper chest.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.59.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.59.37 PM.png
    580 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.15 PM.png
    580.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.01.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.01.10 PM.png
    583.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.53 PM.png
    604.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.00.33 PM.png
    598.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.59.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 12.59.57 PM.png
    586.6 KB · Views: 158

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, this is what the original windshield looks like, its just tiny. At highway speeds the wind was seriously buffeting our chests with the original windscreens. Should be different with these.

Have not tried them yet ... the new windscreens have height & angle adjustments to dial them in to the individual rider.

As I'm still a bit sore from being rear ended at an intersection yesterday I figure I'll recover before hitting the road to get these adjusted.

Attachments

• f79sfSCVTieRkB1PW0s3pg.jpg
    f79sfSCVTieRkB1PW0s3pg.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 163

Bamby

Just how fast do you haft to run her to hold her steady riding the side of an incline like that? :unsure:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just how fast do you haft to run her to hold her steady riding the side of an incline like that? :unsure:
Speedo wouldn't register the speed, but it was fun holding the camera and the bike while going that fast!
:th_lmao:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Speedo wouldn't register the speed, but it was fun holding the camera and the bike while going that fast!
:th_lmao:

Here’s a picture of the return journey . .. :whistling:

Attachments

• 45E76CF8-5415-43A9-A19C-EB015C3E0E7C.jpeg
    45E76CF8-5415-43A9-A19C-EB015C3E0E7C.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 153

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It should probably be noted that that road is located exactly on the equator of the earth and that is why it looks sideways.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Once adjusted for each rider I'm guessing you will love the windshields. The last two boats I've owned have / had windshields like that. my eyes could be just above the glass and see clear but the wind would flow up and over my head.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Once adjusted for each rider I'm guessing you will love the windshields. The last two boats I've owned have / had windshields like that. my eyes could be just above the glass and see clear but the wind would flow up and over my head.
I'm feeling less sore today, actually pretty good. No pain meds, no muscle relaxers today. Last time I took anything was about 8pm last night when I took a muscle relaxer. Apparently no lasting injuries from the rear-ending at the stop light on Friday :smile: I feel good enough to try out the windshields and it's a fairly nice day outside today. Sunny and temps climbing to about 60. The lovely Mrs_Bob suggested we go out for a ride later this afternoon.

As of now I have both of the screens set at their lowest height and both are approximately set with a 60 degree slope. According tot he manufacturer getting the slope correct is more important than the height. There are 2 knobs that adjust the slope so we should be able to ride, adjust, ride some more, adjust, etc.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So yesterday afternoon we were both able to put the new MadStad touring windshields to a real road test.

Temps were in the mid/upper 50's, sunny and we headed out onto the rural 4 lane divided highway and 2 lane rural highways in the area, crossing down into the next county and taking the scenic route on the way back home. On one stretch we stuck to the 60mph speed limit so we could see how the windshields reacted when getting passed by semi-trucks.

Overall very very happy with these things. There are several options of touring windshields for these motorcycles. Honda makes an OEM touring shield, Givi and Puig also offer a couple touring screens. I've seen too many complaints about all those commonly used choices and went with a smaller company out of Florida that seems to have a stellar reputation for making touring windscreens. I can now understand why they have such a good reputation!

Wow. The wind buffeting was eliminated. Totally gone. I have them set in their lowest vertical setting (there is several inches of vertical adjustment available) and have them set at approximately 60 degree angle, which is the recommended angle. Much more comfortable at speeds over 40mph. The tiny factory windscreen is fine up to 40-45mph but then the wind really starts bouncing off your chest/shoulders/head and it gets tiring. With the new MadStad screens that is eliminated.

We both noticed a bit more helmet noise. I believe the new windscreens deflect the air and create a low pressure bubble that ends near the top of our helmets, playing around with the adjustment should allow me to move that bubble up to just over the top of the helmets and eliminate that added bit of noise. They are almost perfectly adjusted now. Almost.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Then there’s little ole me having to rough it ......... :wink:

Attachments

• 51BCE049-48E6-413E-8B7F-E9B8CC1AE8CC.jpg
    51BCE049-48E6-413E-8B7F-E9B8CC1AE8CC.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 132

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
52 degrees, no sun, stiff breeze and we just got back from riding about 53 miles. My MadStad windshield seemed to be adjusted perfectly for the ride. The lovely Mrs_Bob was not quite so thrilled with how I had hers adjusted.

Its trial and error. I made an adjustment to the height of hers after we got back, raised it about 1.25". Hopefully that helps her.