• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need insurance advice

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have both my houses, 3 automobiles, and my pontoon boat insured by Nationwide.

Last week we received a letter from Nationwide that my second home, a double wide, would not be renewed when the current policy expires next April. Apparently Nationwide is dropping coverage for all mobile homes in North Carolina.

I realize Nationwide has the right to insure whatever they wish, but I'm thinking about moving to another insurance carrier because I don't like the idea Nationwide wants to pick and choose what they insure.

If they want me as a customer, they should be willing to insure all my property, not just that which is most profitable.

It has been about 20 years since I have had to shop for insurance, so I am not current on which companies are good or bad.

Which companies have you had good luck with, and which ones would you avoid?

Thanks, Bob

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
State Farm has treated me well in recent years, and I've had some claims. What impressed me most was the flooded (finished) basement (from a failed sump pump). Everything was covered.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just switched to Allstate - they were much less expensive than everyone else in my area. I haven't had to make a claim so I can't say how they are from that perspective. I try really hard to not have to make any claims. Knock on wood.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
I currently have Liberty Mutual. They are one of the more expensive carriers in my area. We've had them for a log time (Over 10 yrs) and they have been good to us for the two claims we've had (Vandalism). However, They are almost 30% higher than Farm Bureau. We are thinking of switching as it would be a significant savings. I think the rural nature of the region where I live and the limited customer base for Liberty here may contribute to why my rates are higher here. The people here locally I speak to have all had good things to say about Farm Bureau. I also know they insure manufactured homes (lord there's enough of them here...lol)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with State Farm on everything except Plain Vanilla. I have yet to have a claim, but at least 4 neighbors with State Farm have and covered everything as it should, hassle free.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Insurance compaines sell the same coverage for different prices. If you are shopping them they normally give you the lowest price. So any insurance company can beat another insurance company that is not giving you their lowest price.
As you stay with a company they slowly but surely raise your rates. I know one guy who switched to Allstate because they were much cheaper, but 8 years later when he compared he was shocked to find they were not close to the cheapest any longer.
They know it's a hassle to change insurance companies so most of us stay put right where we are at. Insurance companies like us to do that.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How's your claim record? (Have you had any claims in the past 5 years or so?)

If you've got a good driving and claim record, you can get into some preferred companies. I have Donegal for the home and autos and Cincinnati for my PLUP. I think they're pretty picky on who they'll insure but understand their claims service is top-notch. Rates are very reasonable.

cj7

State Farm here. In fact we just went in and reviewed our account with them. Even after adding things to it our rate dropped some. Been with them for property and auto for over 10 years now.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Insurance compaines sell the same coverage for different prices. If you are shopping them they normally give you the lowest price. So any insurance company can beat another insurance company that is not giving you their lowest price.
As you stay with a company they slowly but surely raise your rates. I know one guy who switched to Allstate because they were much cheaper, but 8 years later when he compared he was shocked to find they were not close to the cheapest any longer.
They know it's a hassle to change insurance companies so most of us stay put right where we are at. Insurance companies like us to do that.

That's what Farmer's was doing to us. I'm mercenary when it comes to insurance. I get estimates every 5 years and switch to the cheapest mainstream insurer I can. I save $1000 switching to Allstate last year.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I save $1000 switching to Allstate last year.
OK, I have to ask. Can y'all give me a ballpark of what you're paying for your auto insurance? None of my vehicles (with full coverage, limited tort, 250/500 liability...) runs over $400 per year.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for all the great information so far.

How's your claim record? (Have you had any claims in the past 5 years or so?)

No claims on my homeowners policy since 2000. We had a big snow then that caused ice dams to form on the mobile home. The roof leaked and ruined the ceiling in 2 rooms. Nationwide paid about $3200 to fix everything.

Someone ran into the wife's car in a parking lot last year, but their insurance paid for everything. I don't even think we notified Nationwide of the accident.

Man I hate to start the process of looking for insurance again, but looks like I have no choice.

Bob

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, I have to ask. Can y'all give me a ballpark of what you're paying for your auto insurance? None of my vehicles (with full coverage, limited tort, 250/500 liability...) runs over $400 per year.

I happen to have that info:

Farmers Allstate
Homeowners 1271.7 867.63
2Mill Umbrella 628 400
2008 Envoy 1113.4 836.74
2008 Durango 1308.8 1032.26 (small claim in 2007)
1997 F350 502 604.28
Total 4823.9 3740.91

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That still looks high PB.
4 cars, house, PLUP & large riders for outbuildings, mine is $2068
your '97 truck is $200+ more than my '05 truck.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
That still looks high PB.
4 cars, house, PLUP & large riders for outbuildings, mine is $2068
your '97 truck is $200+ more than my '05 truck.

Trust me - I think it is high too. I think it is regional though. The truck was higher at Allstate. Other places were even higher. I just had the actual comparison numbers for Farmers and Allstate.