• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Homeowners Insurance

AndyM

Charter Member
Why did you pick the company you have your homeowner's insurance through?
Did you get price quotes from several agents who each represent a company or through someone who represents several companies?
Did you choose someone just because you already had your car insurance through them?
Did you just pick the first quote or did you take the time to shop around?

Anything else in your experiences that affect your choice?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I find the mainstream companies with decent financial ratings - then get the quotes.

I just changed this year and ended up lowering my annual fees by $1000.00.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The place I use is an independent agent and can therefore shop companies for the policies that best meet my needs.

For homeowners (and auto), I was a long-term user of State Farm. As my personal and professional insurance needs expanded, I gave an independent agent a chance and they did very well.

A couple years back, at the recommendation of a friend, I tried a particular agency. (They're up your way (Sharon) so PM me if you want their contact info). I gave them all my existing policy information and let them see how I was setup. They went through it and thought it to be pretty robust and well priced but there were some holes in my coverage. They were able to fill those holes and get me in with the best insurance companies with little to no rate increase. I've been happy with them since but haven't yet made any claims.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried to change my insurance, I got estimates from several companies. In the end I ended up over paying and staying with the company that I have used for several years (State Farm). I didn't want to stay with State Farm. I had estimates that were nearly 40% lower. In the end, the companies who gave me estimates (even had people come to inspect my home) declined service. Some combination of too much insurance, too far from a fire station, and/or too far from a hydrant.

Trakternut

As with anything else we buy, cheaper isn't always better. What good is a cheap insurance policy if you have to practically pull teeth to get 'em to pay up when it's time?

I went with American Family because my dad got me started under his auto insurance when I got my first pickup. On the three claims I had to put in, in the past 29 yrs, they've always had a check in my hand within a week.
My agent retired last summer, so I switched to an independant agent for our auto and homeowner's. We'll see.

jwstewar

I got my car insurance when I bought my first truck at 18. It was 1990 and I had just bought a 1991 Chevy S10. I went with the same agent/company that Mom & Dad had for several years. Then when Monica and I built the house I just added the homeowner's coverage. Now through the years I've shopped around a bit, but no one ever comes close to price/coverage. Not even the insurance company I work for with my employee discount.:ermm: I went to State Farm a few years back. "Oh, we can save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars" So we make an appointment, sit there while they enter everything, and then they hand us our old policy back and say "Thanks for coming in." I was like WTF? They were so much higher, they wouldn't even tell me the price.

I must say that Motorists Insurance was very good to deal with during our house fire. I called my agent while on my way to the house, the adjuster called me with an hour - a Friday evening. He was there Monday morning giving us a check so that we could get some of our immediate needs taken care of. Then they sent us a "cancellation notice." I asked why? They said there wasn't anything left to insure any more and I shouldn't have to keep paying premiums. I immediately had them reinstate it because we still had 2 outbuildings and the garage full of tools and tractor. They did what I requested. Then when we insured the new house we had to pay an extra fee for 2 large losses in a 3 year period (hail storm 2 years before). Well that penalty amounts to about $50 per year. OK, you paid me $300k, I think I can handle an extra $50 per year. Considering out insurance is still only about $500 per year. I was just glad to have coverage, since after a total loss I knew insurance companies weren't going to be jumping over each other to insure us.:smile:

Oh, also wanted to add. When we bought the camper a few months ago, I insured it with the same company. About $85 every 6 months. Geico/Progressive the "cheap" companies wanted over 3 times that amount to insure it.

benspawpaw

safeco for auto--great price/policy and when i had a clain they paid fast

farm buerau for homeowners(i know cant spell worth a damn)

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
just changed from the one that has all states hoodwinked. they told me with the last storm damage that they were tou busy to come see the roof............I told them, not to busy over the last 16 years to send bills for home and auto...............bye bye............also my agent retired, young $%#$%^#&^*%&*%^(&(&&^*()^ took it over and he had the balls to call me after I switched...............told him a few things too.

shelter, more coverage, less money, no claim yet.........I could be screwed and not know it

AndyM

Charter Member
Thanks for all of the answers...

I ended up at an agency out towards Nixon's neck of the woods who represented several companies, and Donegal Mutual came out the lowest by far.

However, I could save another 52 dollars a year by changing over my car insurance, but Progressive is still almost $200 less than Donegal's quote.

benspawpaw

check for an agent with safeco i cut 240 a year from progressive and kept the same level of coverage had a hail claim they sent my check next day air ups the same day they got the qoute to repair from my local body shop