• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Change? What Change?

AndyM

Charter Member
http://www.breakpoint.org/listingarticle.asp?ID=11328

Excellent commentary. It points out the disappointing truth that even though voters voted for CHANGE, one party is no better than the other. :neutral:
BOLD
type added by me for emphasis below

Pure Pork

By Chuck Colson
2/27/2009

Change? What Change?

Back in 2006, when the Democrats took control of the House and the Senate, I praised them on BreakPoint for promising to clean up Congress. And especially for promising to put an end to the corrupt practice of earmarking—that’s when our elected representatives in Congress slip expenditures into the budgeting process without debate.
Well, I should have known better. This bunch of Democratic legislators is no better than the Republicans they ousted.

In fact, this year, in the midst of a financial crisis no less, the amount of pork in this year’s appropriations bill, passed this week, stinks to high heaven. Literally.

The New York Post reports, for example, that Congress has allocated $1.7 million for “swine odor and manure management research.”
How appropriate.

Senator Daniel Inouye, a longtime veteran of the Senate, managed to get the Polynesian Voyaging Society of Honolulu $238,000. For what? So it can organize “sea voyages in ancient-style sailing canoes like the ones that first brought settlers to Hawaii.”

That’s a great use of taxpayer money in the midst of what the White House is calling the most challenging economic crisis since the Great Depression.

The group Taxpayers for Common Sense claims that the current appropriations bill contains a whopping 8,750 earmarks, at a cost of $7.7 billion.

When confronted with their profligate spending, Democratic leaders defended themselves, according to the Post, by asserting that “up to 40 percent of the earmarks” came from the hands of Republican legislators.

Shame on me, again, for thinking the Republicans would have learned their lesson from the last two elections. They haven’t.

In one sense, earmarking is nothing but pure bribery in reverse. It’s a congressman’s or senator’s way of buying votes from the constituents back home.

The practice is an abomination. It violates the biblical understanding of the limited role of government—which is to preserve order and to promote justice—and it also rejects the principles on which our representative democracy was built.

As I’ve said on BreakPoint before, to America’s founders, lawmaking was supposed to be about advancing the common good—not wheeling and dealing in order to hold on to power. The Founders built into the Constitution checks and balances, in the words of the Federalist Papers, “to pit ambition against ambition and make it impossible for any elements of government to obtain unchecked power.” That’s precisely what we see happening with earmarks.

President Obama campaigned for change. And he’s been preaching the virtue of fiscal responsibility. Well, he now has a unique opportunity to bring those about. Senator McCain has reportedly urged the President to veto this pile of pork.

And I agree. What better way to signal real, substantial change in Washington than by vetoing a massive appropriations bill filled with earmarks?

If you agree with me, let the President and your legislators know we really do want change in Washington—and that means no more earmarks.

Tom K DE

Well for one,the greates debt in history and climbing.AND China nearly owns the U.S.of A..Check out what The Hilarywitch has just.gave them.Emininte Domain over us,,if th U.S. fails to repay monies owed to the ROC. .They still owe us from the Flying Tiger days,

Wart

Well for one,the greates debt in history and climbing. AND China nearly owns the U.S.of A.

Yeah, Thanks to Corporate America and Shrub.

Can't forget that Dubya borrowed money from the Communists to fund War and keep it off the ledger,

Can't ignore how less and less is being made in America. True wealth is created by manufacturing.

Can't quite ignore all those facilitating the shipping of work overseas.

And here we are, someplace between a rock and a hard place.