• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Just picked up my first Snowtrac. Couple of questions.

teledawg

... I did pm BSKURKA on a manual, I'm awaiting his reply.
Welcome and greetings from a fellow Alaskan Snow Trac owner here in Anchorage.

Nice find on the 1968 Track Master. Do you plan on doing a complete frame-off restore on it? :thumb:

I have a current copy of Bob's DVD-R with all the manuals on it. I can burn you a copy if you'd like. Let me know.

flathorn

Was this the Snowtrac that was listed on the Alaska forums 2 or 3 days ago?
Enjoy reading all the good natured banter on this site. Never participated in it too much , as I didn't want to offend anyone, but after seeing the most recent exchanges it appears that may be impossible!!
I am buying Big Als KT4 so that makes 3 Kristis for me and one Thiokol Imp. My wife suggested I may have 1 too many, so will probably sell the Imp. minus the hoist , blade and winch. Byron

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never participated in it too much , as I didn't want to offend anyone,
Byron, given the fact that most people here were kicked out of other web forums for being offensive, how could you possibly offend them? Seriously, just take a look at the photos of BigAl and Little Mikey's trip together, isn't that offensive enough to last a lifetime?:shit7:

dansvan

Yes it was the one for sale up here. Not the 8100$ one, and there is one for sale in Bethel now too.

Not sure on the frame off, but it will get a major overhaul. I have the dvd-r on the way, but I do appreciate the offer! A gentleman came up to me in the parking lot yesterday and talked with me about them. He lives in Sterling and has had a few Snowtracs. He said he had alot of parts, I'm going to call him when I get a list together.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He said he had alot of parts, I'm going to call him when I get a list together.
Do us all a favor and post the list (if possible with prices)! :thumb: We get inquiries all the time about parts.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
After a bit of searching I realized the first annual Kristi BBQ pictures and thread had been deleted. With some help from one of the moderators (thanks Bob S.) We were able to retrieve one picture. This is where in the BBQ someone lost the cork to the bottle and being typical Kristi Klub members didnt want to take the chance and loose a single drop of booze. This is not for the faint hearted person.

Fairs fair , and you can see a good time was had by all . Even Mouse Ear Mike's sister posed for the prementioned Picture . This was when Mike was still a member before being banned .

I do have a picture of the Last Snot Trac Wingding they had in Vegas . Mike actually got in a fight with Bogus Bob over who was taking this pretty little thing home that night that when they had hired the local talent from the local rancher . Mike lost and found another one not so pretty .....:tiphat: :moon: . Here's BoB heading for the LOVE Motel with his prize .

Attachments

• sheepmanmotorcycle.jpg
    sheepmanmotorcycle.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 275

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl,
How many Dr Pepper and Barcardis have you had???? Thats you on the motor cycle. What the hell were you...... NEVER MIND I dont want to know. OK Poor old Dans post has become another battle ground. SO to make it up I have decided to host this years Snowcat Festival! Yes you Kristi guys can come too. For eye candy (EYE CANDY PEOPLE!) I will be trying to hook up with one of our local bars and see if we can get some talent imported for the festival! Here is a taste of what I would like to show up. If you have any requests please go to Sports by Brooks and post a picture of your favorite girl. I will start another thread so Dan can get some real responses here. But for now......

Attachments

• Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 283
  • Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Picture 16.png
    Picture 16.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Picture 23.png
    Picture 23.png
    237.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Picture 21.png
    Picture 21.png
    267.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

dansvan

Are the track grousers, cleets, cross bars,what ever you want to call them heat treated? Are they just generic steel?

Does anyone have a few of the small guide clips for the tracks? I need a few. the newer machines have taller ones I understand? Can you install those on the older tracks?

teledawg

... Does anyone have a few of the small guide clips for the tracks? I need a few. the newer machines have taller ones I understand? Can you install those on the older tracks?
Dan,

Brad (aka boggie) is getting two Track Masters for parts cats and should have a bunch of things available in a week or two...

See this thread for more info and pictures:

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=9701

I got first dibs on ST30A drive sprockets and brass boggie wheels. :)

The older style wheel guides (part no ST7127) use two attachment bolts. The newer wheel guides (part no ST7524) use only one attachment bolt, have a small peg like protrusion that fits into a hole in the grouser, and they are made out of lighter gauge metal. I don't see how they could work as a substitute.

I may need a few too. If boggie doesn't have any, I'm thinking about getting some made up. How many do you need?

dansvan

Thanks teledawg. Mine are the 2 bolt style, I guess I'll stick with those. I'll count up how many I need later today.

dansvan

Haven't been back out to my folks place where it's currently stored. Have to finish a few projects at home before it can take it's place here. I should have a count on guide clips today.

Question though. If a guy was to build a set of winter only tracks, could he use aluminum for the grousers and light weight belting? Then have aluminum drive sprockets made, and maybe have them made twice as wide? If so what grade aluminum would you use? By light weight belting I mean 1 ply, or 100 series. I think mines got like 2 or 3 ply good year belting now. I like the idea of shaving weight. Takes less power, and is less harsh on parts. Input?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You could use aluminum for the grousers but it should be 6061-T6 then heat treated (and also a good design) to last.(rounded corners for tooth engagement) 2ply is your best bet. if wanted you could have someone water jet cut some sprockets from UHMW plastic stands for ultra high molecular wear or 6/6 nylon.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Haven't been back out to my folks place where it's currently stored. Have to finish a few projects at home before it can take it's place here. I should have a count on guide clips today.

Question though. If a guy was to build a set of winter only tracks, could he use aluminum for the grousers and light weight belting? Then have aluminum drive sprockets made, and maybe have them made twice as wide? If so what grade aluminum would you use? By light weight belting I mean 1 ply, or 100 series. I think mines got like 2 or 3 ply good year belting now. I like the idea of shaving weight. Takes less power, and is less harsh on parts. Input?

Dan ,
100 series is pretty light weight stuff .Isn't that about 1/8 thick?? I would be nervous of turning sharp and tearing the belting in half . You may be able to get away with it for awhile ,but how long will it last in the long run .
When I built new tracks I went with a 330 series made for use in a cold weather (-25 degrees ) . I am glad I did . I been running around on gravel and dirt and turning my cat in its own length ,which is easy to do if you have hydrostatic drive . So far the #330 belting has performed perfectly .
I did go down to the belting supplier and went over every type of belting he had ,as well as looking at the performace data sheet on each one . I am glad I took the extra time as I feel I got the best product for my intended use .
AS far as cleats or grousers ,Boggie actually has some nice looking Aluminmum grouser material that I bet would work perfect , check with him .

I think the actual wear on the spocket would be the issue ,not the metal material used . I know they can add all kinds of alloy to metal to make it stronger now . Aluminmum might worked but I am betting that it would need to be hard faced or have something added to keep from wearing to quickly . I am no metal expert ,but we got plenty of guys here who should be able to give you the answer to that .
Good Luck
Al

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You could run one ply no problem. The cat is under 3,000 lbs so the heavier duty belting is not needed. I would stay with you stock grousers since no other grouser performs as well as the do especially on side hills! Plus to have made grousers would be about $4,000 to $6,000 plus shipping. Stay with the "Bronze" drive sprockets. Just flip them once a year if you go out all the time. If your a weekend snow warrior then inspect them and flip them every other year. The new belting is 100 times better than the old stuff. 1 Ply is more than strong enough and will save you a 100 pounds or so. I will be going to one ply as well. Theres alot of opinions out there. Ultimately its your choice. (1 ply is about 1/4" thick)

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To be honest, living in the great AK my entire life, I'd never even heard of a Kristi until I found this site. Just don't see them up here. That's not a slam, just observation.
YEP! I've lived and worked in Alaska for 14 years and I've never encountered a Krusty here either. That's because they couldn't make it up here in the real snow country.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your grousers hardley have any wear on them which means that either they were replaced once already or the machine is very low hours. Does it have both an Hours meter and a Odometer? Generally there is a correlation between hours and mileage, for trac masters it's 2 to 1, or roughly 2mph average. Is all the Tin in the engine compartment? This is improtant.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My mistake I meant Drive Sprockets, not Grousers. The dealer for these in Anchorage (Bill Yaldolski, deceased) had both wide and narrow tracks for his one of these machines. He reffered to them as the "Summer" and "Winter" tracks. I agree with Mike, stay with the brass. I tried Steel and it was a mistake. It caused the grousers(cleats) and side guides to wear out rapidly. Once one of the side guides wears thru it's like having a knife blade in the tracks, you could end up with all the tires going flat at once. Not a good deal if your in a remote part of Alaska.

dansvan

I'm off to take more pics. The idea was to use aluminum grousers or cleats, and aluminum drive sprockets. I agree that the bronze needs to be run with the steel grousers, but was curious about the aluminum on aluminum. Aluminum may turn out to be cost prohibitive anyway, but it never hurts to do some research.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
YEP! I've lived and worked in Alaska for 14 years and I've never encountered a Krusty here either. That's because they couldn't make it up here in the real snow country.

They are a lot like Yetti's ,you have to go find them . A Snot trac would never make it to where they hide out . :moon: :5boobs:

dansvan

Ok some more pics.

p1010608.jpg

p1010611.jpg

Previous owner sid he purchased it from someone or some company up around Denali National Park. Looks like it got used. And this is before the speedo cable was disabled.

p1010612.jpg

Fresh air unit. Bent but can be saved.

p1010613.jpg

Better pic of aux. fan

p1010614.jpg

Original motor. Tin missing. Note exhaust running into bumper. I love a challenge!

dansvan

p1010615.jpg

Is it missing brakes or are they inside the drive hub? There is a hydro line running into them. Or is this a grease line?

p1010616.jpg

I know it's missing a guard over the chains.

p1010617.jpg

another bumper shot.

p1010618.jpg

And now the tracks. As you can see the side hilling parts of the grousers are almost all missing. I'm thinking of cutting the rest off. It has to be putting alot of stress on the single grousers that have them. If I build new tracks I will cut off the outer belts on these and use them as summer tracks.

I counted and I need 30 guide clips. And I'd like to get 40 of them to have some spares. I think some of my tires are foam filled. One you can see inside the bead and it's still hard.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Can we get some pictures of the variator? Its just behind the engine. That fan shround inside the cab is VERY important!