• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Just picked up my first Snowtrac. Couple of questions.

dansvan

Hello all. Dan from Alaska. I've loved these things all my life and finally was able to get my hands on one. I'm in for a complete going through, it needs it. I guess it has a recently rebuild 1600, it runs like a dream. Driving is another story though. Broken grousers, loose chains, worn tires, you get the idea.

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Dont know? Had some ahole spammers come in late at night right after they signed on and started spamming big time. LOOSERS! Anyway keep posting by replying to old and current posts. Go down the list. Then see if you can post some pics. OR send them to me in an email and I will try and post them for you in your thread. PM me.

dansvan

p1010577.jpg

As I found it upon arriving to pick it up.

p1010580.jpg

It had thrown a track and they parked it right where it came off. I had to put it back on before I could load it on the trailer.

p1010587.jpg

It was sold to me as a 1975. Accoording to the tag it's an older model. No biggie, but is there another place the serial number is stamped?

p1010585.jpg

Rear view.

p1010586.jpg

On the trailer in front of our place. Wife and kids love it!

dansvan

p1010584.jpg

Other side. Guess they ran out of paint?

p1010582.jpg

How worn are these drivers?

p1010581.jpg

Has one brass wheel. Is this where it goes? Why does this one not have the large wheel in front?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You have a Trac Master. Mid to late 60s. I will look up the production date in the morning. The "drivers" are in good shape not overly worn. I would flip them once a year if you use it alot. Dont let them wear down then flip them. You have many years left on them no problem. Yes that looks like the correct position for the brass or Bronze wheel.

First thing you want to do is get a service manual. PM BSKURKA for one. He has them on CD. I dont know if he charges. If he does it most likely will be his cost. Then buy your self a very nice grease gun. Sleep with it for a few nights. Its now your closest best friend. Grease everything except axle tubes (needs no grease unless you change out an axle) and one of the zirk fiitings in the engine compartment. One of those goes to your steering box and requiers gear lube. (this will all be in your manual) Change all your fluids right away. Engine oil and transaxle oil. The transaxle oil fitting can be accessed from indise the cab where the passenger would sit in a car. Pull back the rubber matt and you will see a metal access panel. Remove it and on the left you will see the fill port. Open it up. Now crawl under your rig and open the drain hole for the transaxle. When its all drained out put two quarts in up top and let that completely drain out. Plug the hole and go back up top and start filling till it starts to come out. when the fill level is at the plug level it full. This also lubes your variator part in the transaxle so it holds alot more than your standard VW transaxle. That should be a good start for you.

dansvan

Thanks for the quick reply! Very much appreciated.

Is there an advantage to having the metal wheel there? Should I try and source another?

Good news on the drivers.

I did pm BSKURKA on a manual, I'm awaiting his reply.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes the advantage is that that tire wont go flat. They experimented with several doffrent configurations and found a metal wheel to be the best solution. That position gets the absolute most abuse. Now we have poly filled tires so a metal one is not needed. If you can find another one great (good luck!) BUT there are small tires availabe. After you get the fluids changed lets get to work on you drive chains and we will check the track tension. If it needs it we can take care of that too. When you have time look up member LYNDON and look at all his posts. 95% are Snow Trac related. He is most likely the worlds expert on Snow Tracs!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Hitting the sack. Welcome to the Forums and dont pay attention to anything those KKK members say about your Snow track (kkk= Kristi krap klub) They are just envious that you have a Snow Trac and they were suckered into buying a Kristi. Suckers!

Good Night.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget to put a hook on the front...and the rear...and, ah, underneath in case you tumble down a hill and end up up-side-down. Better put one on top as well just in case we can't get to you for a few days. So many Snot Tracs to rescue, so little time...

All content copyright K.R.I.S.T.I. - Kristis Rescuing Impotent Snow-Tracs, International

dansvan

To be honest, living in the great AK my entire life, I'd never even heard of a Kristi until I found this site. Just don't see them up here. That's not a slam, just observation.

dansvan

Here's what I've been driving...

p4150552.jpg

p4150551.jpg

p4150562.jpg

Incredible ride, incredible heavy. As long as I stay on decent settled snow I am good.

If this qualifies as a Snowcat I'll post up some trip reports and some info on them in another section. They are not Mattracks...

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I think another thread dedicated to this would be great. Details on the mods you did as well.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's what I've been driving...

Incredible ride, incredible heavy. As long as I stay on decent settled snow I am good.

If this qualifies as a Snowcat I'll post up some trip reports and some info on them in another section. They are not Mattracks...

I'd love to know all about these puppies. I won't buy mattracks because I think they're using the over-priced numbers they charge the US military...and get away with it... so I'd like an alternative. I have an Explorer I want to throw some tracks on like this and would love to know how they perform, work, place load on steering, maintenance, installation, cost, etc... Any photos showing your ride stuck/depth of snow?

May be worth starting a new thread....

cool ride!:thumb:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Kristi - What cute little girls name.... get your panties in a bunch often?

We don't where Panties .... It just leaves skid marks .Please remember where we go in our Kristis and leave only skid Marks , would make a Snot Track owner crap himself silly . Also Snowcat Complications forgot to add one more important note that after your done lubing the Snot Master make sure that oil plug is tight ,then drop it off at the local dump and find yourself a real "He man Cat". A Kristi !:yum: :moon:

In the mean time , I will have the "Kristi Sargent in Arms" of the KKK add your name to our "Needs a tow home list "

Oh and by the way .... Welcome to FF . The Snot Master is a little rare . Great Find !

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the mean time , I will have the "Kristi Sargent in Arms" of the KKK add your name to our "Needs a tow home list "
Grand Poobah,

I've added this one to the list.

Dan - Can you provide a little more details on the location you drive? Alaska is a pretty big place and we need to coordinate the "Needs a tow home list" to do the rescues in sequence so there's less need to criss-cross the state.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
See what I mean. Did I not call there response or what. Its like cocaine to an addict. They cant stop showing how they really want a Snow Trac. Notice how they want "YOUR" contact information. Its to either know where they can find a real Snowcat or to have a number to call when they need to be towed back to civilization!

dansvan

LOL! good stuff! This Kristi gal you guys keep talking about must be quite the bull dyke. Doesn't wear panties, is all to eager to strap on to the Snowtrac, wants everyones number and position, Geez. I know the Snow tracs are sexy looking but this is a bit over the top. Maybe it's just the dream girl syndrome, you always want what you've never had.... Did a Snowtrac drive around you one day, not even giving you a glance while you were wallowing in pre-pubesence?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great comeback Dan. You're fitting right in.

This Kristi gal you guys keep talking about must be quite the bull dyke. Doesn't wear panties, is all to eager to strap on to the Snowtrac, wants everyones number and position, Geez.
I checked the schedule for who's doing the hauling for this coming winters "Needs a tow home list". BobPierce is covering Alaska. Did I mention he's named his Kristy BUTCH? Since it has 2 tracks instead of 2 wheels, they wouldn't allow it entry into any Dykes on Bikes parades.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
This Kriti they are all talking about has been described as looking like a Saquatch or Yetti. If you ask me she sounds pretty scary.:4_11_9: BUT you know how "Some" guys will go home with "anything"! The sad thing is some of these guys dont even drink so there is absolutely NO excuse. :pat: The sad thing is though most of them are just a bunch of drunks looking for a good time. :alc: Yah I remember my first beers too but man this is just pathetic! Oh well. :yum:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Great comeback Dan. You're fitting right in.

I checked the schedule for who's doing the hauling for this coming winters "Needs a tow home list". BobPierce is covering Alaska. Did I mention he's named his Kristy BUTCH? Since it has 2 tracks instead of 2 wheels, they wouldn't allow it entry into any Dykes on Bikes parades.

No no no. This list is Kristi owners who need haul trucks for there gals they meet at the bars. They tend to be real "BIG" girls. I will see if I can find some pictures from the Kristi Klub first BBQ they held. I know they posted them here somewhere stand by.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
After a bit of searching I realized the first annual Kristi BBQ pictures and thread had been deleted. With some help from one of the moderators (thanks Bob S.) We were able to retrieve one picture. This is where in the BBQ someone lost the cork to the bottle and being typical Kristi Klub members didnt want to take the chance and loose a single drop of booze. This is not for the faint hearted person.

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 306

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Dan once again we will be holding OUR Snow Trac fest and you of course are invited. Heres a picture of a few last years guests.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Dan,

Pay no attention to Slowcat Sloperations. He just hasn't been the same after being removed as an Honorary member of the Kristi Kat Klub and has been mentally "out of touch" ever since. He has his party attendees (the girls in particular) all backwards.