• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1969 tucker 442A

Ajay1118

Hey I was looking for some vintage race sleds and came across a 1969 tucker Sno cat 442A for sale on eBay !! Item number 123650283714 it’s in the snowmobile section . It needs restoration !

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It sat here in Farmington NH for the longest time.

Club groomer beware!

Attachments

• 9083E367-D2EA-472B-8EFB-5FEC67D9B651.jpg
    9083E367-D2EA-472B-8EFB-5FEC67D9B651.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 761

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the conversions to rubber were all 500 carriers for some reason.

My carriers have 5 wheels yet the cat remains a 1443. Originally Chrysler axle housings were fitted for pontoons and was converted at the factory. You can see the pontoon journal remains.

They were a little off when they welded one of the journals on the front passenger side.

PJL

That video of it running with fuel pouring out of the carb made me want to grab a fire extinguisher. Price is a bit ambitious. Made a quarter of that?

CFS

That video of it running with fuel pouring out of the carb made me want to grab a fire extinguisher. Price is a bit ambitious. Made a quarter of that?

I was going to send my father and our mechanic to go look at it, but it sounds like it is sold.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry I meant it was still on Craigslist today.

There’s two over in Brighton ME and Mechanics Falls

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I was going to send my father and our mechanic to go look at it, but it sounds like it is sold.

I see you're relatively new to the forum. Welcome!

One of my standard lines of snowcat buying advice is "The cheapest machine is usually not the best value". IMHO, this Tucker is in lousy shape, has been abused, poorly cared for and is waay,waay overpriced. This is one you run away from.

There are so many red flags it's not funny. For example, look at the track slides. Note that some mechanical moron has added 2 x 4 wood spacers under the track slides. Really? How about the broken frame that was broken in multiple locations and repaired by someone making their first-ever welds? Then we have the pathetically plumbed rear hydraulics. That means usage history as a groomer, which I try and stay away from. Obviously repainted, and evidently too much effort to mask off the windshield gasket? Even Earl Scheib would do better. I see nothing I like. Nothing!

On the quality spectrum of used Tuckers, this is less than a 1 (out of ten).

Ajay1118

Yes I’m new to this site and Tucker’s ! I take all the info you all give me and respect the fact that you guys share your info !! It’s much appreciated !! I’m very thankful !! I love my 1744 and I’m gonna have it restored to like new ! I took it out to the lake house a couple of weeks ago . Amazing all I can say !!
I have notice that one drum that drive wheels bolt to was broken and the drive wheels had all rubber off them . So I have tucker sending me a new one .
Thanxs aj

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
For comparison sake, there is a 1970 442a for sale for $8500 on Syracuse Craigslist. https://syracuse.craigslist.org/snw/d/cleveland-tucker-sno-cat-442a/6801236384.html
It still has pontoons and doesn’t leak fuel. The machine is in PA currently. I looked at it last weekend and had a hard time not buying it but decided to wait until a family sized cat came on the market. The pontoons were solid, had a few dents. The rollers all matched and the ones I checked turned freely, were well greased and didn’t have excessive play. The turntables had a very minor groove, no welds and were lubed. It fired right up and ran smoothly. The hood has a dent on top and the right side of it is really wavy. The frame has a patch but looks clean, otherwise solid looking. All of the gauges and lights are new.

Not mine and I can’t tell you much more about it.
Nice guy, he took care of it while he owned it.
Pics to follow

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Few pics

Attachments

• 165239D1-0C0C-4FE6-A897-4389C9A01E95.jpg
    165239D1-0C0C-4FE6-A897-4389C9A01E95.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 616
  • 0546F483-9612-4A16-AF91-AF4204F67C6A.jpg
    0546F483-9612-4A16-AF91-AF4204F67C6A.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 594
  • F93A01D6-D184-4637-8D4B-FA3BBB5880BC.jpg
    F93A01D6-D184-4637-8D4B-FA3BBB5880BC.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 586
  • 87A6CDFB-EC4C-42E1-9629-C5A56F63D5C9.jpg
    87A6CDFB-EC4C-42E1-9629-C5A56F63D5C9.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 594

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Few more

Attachments

• 6A096505-9A6F-43AE-B826-2132F00C4C49.jpg
    6A096505-9A6F-43AE-B826-2132F00C4C49.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 584
  • 721A2AA5-26A1-49D7-B7FE-647EC62EB899.jpg
    721A2AA5-26A1-49D7-B7FE-647EC62EB899.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 561
  • A1AFBEEE-8A85-4385-B04E-8E3A371FBB6E.jpg
    A1AFBEEE-8A85-4385-B04E-8E3A371FBB6E.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 578
  • EAA8949E-1C93-4BB8-9EDF-AF198400E67F.jpg
    EAA8949E-1C93-4BB8-9EDF-AF198400E67F.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 561
  • D5AF8836-AFE7-4ACB-A192-6EACF7B85408.jpg
    D5AF8836-AFE7-4ACB-A192-6EACF7B85408.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 585

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Need some love and should come to Haverhill MA but pricey!

I’ll go get it for 5K and save it.

CFS

I see you're relatively new to the forum. Welcome!

One of my standard lines of snowcat buying advice is "The cheapest machine is usually not the best value". IMHO, this Tucker is in lousy shape, has been abused, poorly cared for and is waay,waay overpriced. This is one you run away from.

There are so many red flags it's not funny. For example, look at the track slides. Note that some mechanical moron has added 2 x 4 wood spacers under the track slides. Really? How about the broken frame that was broken in multiple locations and repaired by someone making their first-ever welds? Then we have the pathetically plumbed rear hydraulics. That means usage history as a groomer, which I try and stay away from. Obviously repainted, and evidently too much effort to mask off the windshield gasket? Even Earl Scheib would do better. I see nothing I like. Nothing!

On the quality spectrum of used Tuckers, this is less than a 1 (out of ten).

Thanks! I'm new to the forum, but not to Tuckers. We ran them back in the day on the farm to get in and out of our sugar bush (this is how we justified having them as toys). I'm looking to get another one now that I'm "old enough to pay the bills when they break" as my father says. I'm in Seattle now but we still having land in NH. I'm always looking for advice and info. A lot has changed since I was younger grinding gears on the farm :)

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks! I'm new to the forum, but not to Tuckers. We ran them back in the day on the farm to get in and out of our sugar bush (this is how we justified having them as toys). I'm looking to get another one now that I'm "old enough to pay the bills when they break" as my father says. I'm in Seattle now but we still having land in NH. I'm always looking for advice and info. A lot has changed since I was younger grinding gears on the farm :)

Are you looking for one to use out west, or back in NH? The next question would be what do you want to do with it?

When it comes to acquiring a used Tucker, patience is a virtue; especially true when looking for a specific configuration. Lastly, I'll say when a nice machine (right cab configuration and track length) comes along at a reasonable price, be ready to buy. The adage "he who hesitates is lost" is very true.

CFS

Are you looking for one to use out west, or back in NH? The next question would be what do you want to do with it?

When it comes to acquiring a used Tucker, patience is a virtue; especially true when looking for a specific configuration. Lastly, I'll say when a nice machine (right cab configuration and track length) comes along at a reasonable price, be ready to buy. The adage "he who hesitates is lost" is very true.

It would mostly likely live in NH for now (plenty of barn space there vs in Seattle). I would like to bring one out to Washington at some point but I'm still trying to get a lay of the land about where they can be used.

As for finding the right one, I agree there is a lot of junk out there, and overpriced at that.

Blackfoot where are you located?

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well i just saw the rochester craigslist tucker go thru town! headed up rt.49 toward waterville valley. No one here that we know got it.All i can think is someone that went to last weekends show thought they really needed it !!!! I'm pretty sure it will try their mechanical skills. :smile:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
It would mostly likely live in NH for now (plenty of barn space there vs in Seattle). I would like to bring one out to Washington at some point but I'm still trying to get a lay of the land about where they can be used.

As for finding the right one, I agree there is a lot of junk out there, and overpriced at that.

Blackfoot where are you located?

I live in Northern Utah, but grew up in Vermont.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This cat was spotted at an auto repair shop in Campton NH last week.

Hopefully getting the love it needs!