• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New puppy

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
A while back we had thought about adopting another dog and had one come to spend the night. He wasn't a good fit with our two dogs. So we decided to bring him back. Anyways, we hadn't given much thought to adoption since then until last week a local dog rescue posted 3 puppies available. They are dachshund mixed breeds. I went last night to meet the one they had left. They will be bringing him tonight for a meet and greet with the family. We may have a 3rd puppy in our home.

Since we all love pictures, here are a couple from last night.
bc3474466d4ac4104a9d8cbfd78ef3a4.jpg
db3720c85580c8fbc7263dc1d44323f9.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Everyone meet Cooper. The kids all love him. He's definitely built like a dachshund. He's about 9 weeks old. He played for a bit now he's crashed on my wife's lap. Marley and Thunder are alright with him so far.
5253c39c337aab93af2e2de945673e6b.jpg
2bc22419e9388858a9c3905ebc14d890.jpg
1e4bd5f1765a0267a604ac3827dee1d4.jpg
69bbd65fef115fa43c3d52342eb1db2a.jpg
cd9b47f43d01430bf2bf4a19acd5b37c.jpg

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I see some kids wearing some pretty happy faces. Funny how puppies have a way of doing that. :yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations!

Looks like Mr. Cooper has selected a fine family! :mrgreen:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. The kids are happy. We were actually debating what to call him while watching tv. An advertisement came on announcing the next episode of "cooper's treasure". A show about looking for D.B. Cooper's lost treasure. I suggested it and everyone liked it.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Great looking pup. I had one just like him when I was a teenager. The kids looked like they love him already. I like the name Cooper too.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far he's been a great learner. He already knows a few simple commands. Though we were told he was pee pad trained, he didn't do it once yesterday. But this morning he pee'd outside and pooped on the pee pad. Being a puppy he goes from 0-70 in a half a second but after a few minutes of running and playing he crashes almond as quick.

Oh, he had never been in a kennel either before. We kennel our dogs at night as the older ones have a habit of getting into the garbage and chewing on our comforter. They both head straight for the kennel at night when we shut down the house. He whimpered a bit the first night but only for 10 minutes. Last night we never heard a peep.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We are loving the new addition. He's already pretty much house trained. Has 2 speeds; stop and go. Lmao. The other dogs are warming up to him. They do this thing running around the living room and kitchen while chasing each other. Cooper joined in and was just one of the pups. He knows his name. Knows to come, sit, etc. Thankfully he sleeps well all night. Last night he lasted in his kennel till 5:30am. I let him out to go. Barely any accidents in the house. He goes both on the pee pad and outside.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That's great Brian. Our latest attempt at bringing in a new puppy did not go well. Our existing dog has decided that his house is only big enough for one dog. We gave it 6 weeks. Hated to see her go back to the rescue.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. It's funny how they accept one dog and not another. Sure, there's been a bit of growling from the older dogs but that's just when they were trying to sleep and he wanted to play. Heck, Marley growls at thunder all the time when there's a lap involved. She controls the lap. Thunder controls the window. Sorry you had to bring your pup back after 6 weeks. Don't know if I could do that.

I will say this little furball likes his sleep.
5d56cfdac9ce58e75c35fe237917a685.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our Walter loves her puppy Mitty ... but she hates when Mitty plays with Georgie next door. She tries to get between those two dogs to keep them apart while they are having fun.

I know some breeds are not tolerant of other animals after they have been settled into a home and established it as their territory. Our former Akitas where one of those breeds that was well known for being intolerant of other animals after they had established a home as theirs.

Glad to see your pup is adjusting so well with the other pups.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I know what you mean. Some dogs just don't get along no matter what. Marley and thunder at one moment are growling at Cooper when he gets near their kennel. The next moment, this.......
3678b245cfcde9e64d44cbfe2e1bc322.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far so good. As I said, we kennel the dogs at night. So today, they were all playing nicely together. So we went out and bought a new bigger kennel. Tonight all three are in the kennel sleeping together. I couldn't imagine not having Cooper now. He's exactly what I needed to help cope with the ptsd and depression.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Poor thing [emoji45] I took him in for an appointment this morning with our vet for his second round of shots. They discovered a bottom k9 tooth growing inward into his upper pallet. So they removed it under general anesthesia. While he was under they neutered him also. He had an umbilical hernia on his tummy which they also repaired. Basically a one stop shop. Only thing left is his last round of shots.

b20c4114b11ff99b4a7920af7c01272b.jpg
73c213d036b63f8e91de2f98256ac911.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. He's doing alright though. A little sore when he moves but all system working. He was able to eat and drink. Now he's on my lap having a nap.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Hellfire NR!!!! You took him to have a tooth fixed and they cut his gut and his nuts. I'll never go to the dentist again. :yum:

Honestly though, I hope the little fella gets back to his usual self soon. Dogs are extremely stoic when it comes to pain ... unlike some of us humans.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lmao. Yep. It was actually supposed to be just his shots and a quick checkup as he'd never been to that clinic. Next thing I know, he's getting a tooth pulled, nuts chopped, hernia repaired, and his shots. Kind of a one stop shop. Lol.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Cooper is doing awesome with the other pups. He sleeps with them in the kennel all night. Just this week he started going to the back door and barks once to go out to the washroom. He's basically on my lap about 3 seconds after my butt sits down. Very cuddly.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Cooper is getting big now. He's just a touch bigger than Marley and Thunder. He's pretty much house trained now. We took him on a 5km walk the other night. With his short stubby legs he was almost hopping along like a ferret.
9a5912894cefdd99f5030f0b6555d157.jpg

ce9cfd501f068d8c8ca1c1ff72c48fe4.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Cooper is getting big now. He's just a touch bigger than Marley and Thunder. He's pretty much house trained now. We took him on a 5km walk the other night. With his short stubby legs he was almost hopping along like a ferret.
9a5912894cefdd99f5030f0b6555d157.jpg

ce9cfd501f068d8c8ca1c1ff72c48fe4.jpg

That's how our Labradoodle sleeps. It's not very ladylike. :yum: