• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier muskeg running temperature

longbed454

Hi I got another old muskeg up and running, I was wondering what temperature it should run at? It has a Chrysler flathead it has a 180 degree thermostat and seems to be running at 195 is that too hot?

Thanks

Attachments

• 4EA332FA-558A-4A17-B615-2130FF8DC04D.jpg
    4EA332FA-558A-4A17-B615-2130FF8DC04D.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 180

J5 Bombardier

That's a granddaddy muskeg, would be interesting if there is a serial number on top of the rht side front tube (bumper). As for thermostats, I run with out them on my flatheads, gutted but still there to slow down the flow ,they don't be long heating up when working hard. I try to stay in the 180 range , with a electric fan to help the original when working , I might burn more fuel running cool without a thermostat but in my opinion these old flatheads don't like to run to hot.
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

Dr. Zaugg

ALSO, those old flat heads had what they called a water distribution tube behind the water pump. it was made of brass and was to direct water to each cylinder evenly. If, and most are blocked, plugged or rotted out you will never get one to run cool. With a good tube, and radiator those engines will work hard and stay cool even at 100 degrees.

olympicorange

…….. all very good points..... one problem with removing the thermostat is that it allows the coolant to flow faster thru the radiator, not giving it ample time to ''radiate'' the temp. from the coolant , to the radiator tubes/fins. also any blocked passages restrict flow; tubes, rad. cores, etc....another item to scrutinize is the rad. cap... a bad seal or spring will not allow sufficient pressure for water pump to flow /pump coolant thru system. and the correct psi rated cap also is important …. and a correct reading temp. gauge helps also...:thumbup: