• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are your video settings?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been playing with some website design and screen size appears to affect its appearance. I'm a novice and when building a page it obviously looks good to me! I use 1024x768 but I know some of you old crusties :yum: use 800x600 soooooooooz ya can see them little bitty iconz better.

So what is the popular settings? I have to figure with the newer video cards and the wide screen monitors most have made the change to 1000 or better.
Let me know and thanks for feedback..............

BD

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mine are 1024x768. But I'm guessing we'll have plenty still at 800x600 & others that have no clue what the heck your talking about. ....and that's okay. :)

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
the traditional approach is to build the site for 800x600 and center it. It will then appear properly proportioned on 1024x768 with a little space on each side.

that will change soon since so many more folks are viewing at the higher resolutions

Jim

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
oops, typical response for me, gave you an answer but not to the question you asked.

1024x768 on the desktop, 800x600 on the laptop

Jim

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
1600 x 1200.

You're best off to try and design at 800 x 600 if you are trying to hit a wide audience of users.

Instead of using set widths (i.e. 400px) go with percentages. Things will re-size better.

It all depends on your audience and how much tweaking you want to do.

Remember the KISS principle.

PB

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
one screen 1256x1024, the other screen in 1024x768

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Oh yeah, my Apple Powerbook G4 is 1280 x 854.

So what have you learned from this?

A couple things............

Most are utilizing their machines viaing for the higher settings.

That I won't change a thing on my little home page.

I will not use an image for a background and will build on the 800x600 format on a dot.com I want to start.

BTW.......Dargo, don't feel left out, I use the 1152x864 on my second monitor (dual display)........:D

Thanks guys!

BD

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
mine are 1024x768. But I'm guessing we'll have plenty still at 800x600 & others that have no clue what the heck your talking about. ....and that's okay. :)
Yup Doc, ya hit it right on the banana!!:pat:

Gatorboy

It's best to design your website to be non-resolution specfic -- to expand and contract -- so that it doesn't matter what resolution someone's monitor is set at.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
It's best to design your website to be non-resolution specfic -- to expand and contract -- so that it doesn't matter what resolution someone's monitor is set at.

TY and how is one to do that? Remember I'm a newbie......:D !

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
One way is to create a main TABLE for your web page to reside within and use a width of "100%".

Thanks alot, I'll play with that!

BD

Dude111

Banned
Big Dog said:
I've been playing with some website design and screen size appears to affect its appearance. I'm a novice and when building a page it obviously looks good to me! I use 1024x768 but I know some of you old crusties :yum: use 800x600 soooooooooz ya can see them little bitty iconz better.
Yes Big Dog I am @ 800x600 my friend,I wouldnt want it any smaller (uugghh) it would strain my eyes....

I have had it 800x600 for 10 years or more...... Seems to be the best size
icon7.gif