• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spatchcocking a Turkey

Bamby

Here's a new one to me that appears to make perfect sense..

The simplest, speediest Thanksgiving turkey is only a pair of kitchen shears away

Thanksgiving it is the one meal that is nearly immovable in terms of menu. I mix things up for Christmas, but in our family, as with many, turkey at Thanksgiving is a constant.

The side dishes are familiar, too. Each family member has that one dish that is their favorite and for some, it’s like the entire holiday is positively ruined if the sweet potato soufflé is garnished with something other than toasty brown marshmallows or the cornbread dressing is missing. I once topped a squash casserole with panko breadcrumbs and was nearly disinherited. Here's the deal: different dishes can be added, but nothing can be removed from the menu, especially the turkey.

Turkey, the centerpiece of this festive meal, can be tricky. I’ve brined, fried, roasted and smoked. I’ve draped boozy cheesecloth over the breast and slathered garlic herb butter under the skin. By the time the thighs are cooked, the breast meat is as dry as sawdust. Brining can help with dryness, but who has room in their overstuffed fridge for a gigantic tub of turkey bobbing in salt water at Thanksgiving? (I often brine in a cooler on the porch, but not everyone has access to a huge cooler or a porch.) I’ve served behemoth birds raised on factory farms, wild turkeys shot by a skilled hunter in the family, and more recently, heritage breed pastured poultry as the beast for our grand feast. I’ve tried nearly every technique imaginable to achieve juicy, tender, flavorful meat and deliciously salty, crispy skin.

I'm happy to say that, this year, my quest is over: I spatchcock it. Spatchcocking is the process of removing the backbone and opening the bird so that it is fairly flat — and it therefore cooks quicker and more evenly. It’s typically used with smaller birds such as chicken and Cornish hens, but it’s a great technique for turkey, too. Less time in the oven also opens up the space for other dishes. While the bird is resting, I can finish the green bean casserole or whip up a batch of buttermilk biscuits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=301&v=PoXkFfsLrls

Traditionalists might complain that there’s no photo shoot moment, but any cook will tell you it’s far better to carve the turkey in the kitchen. Also, by removing the backbone, you are able to pump up the flavor of the stock, which results in better gravy. The breast is less likely to overcook and there’s a lot more crispy skin.

But you are going to have to overcome one hurdle.................. Here

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes it makes sense. I have been doing this to poultry including turkeys for years now. :thumbup:

Takes way less time, and produces a bird that is cooked to perfection as well.

Just do it!

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I did one using this method one year.
The picture is deep in the archives of netcookingtalk.

Bamby

I've often enough split chicken into half's and grilled or baked them but never considered going at it in this direction. One day I'm a going to perform and try this procedure...