• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tests Reveal More Weed Killer Than Some Vitamins in Kids’ Cereals

Bamby

WASHINGTON - Tests found more of the weed killer glyphosate than of some vitamins in samples of oat-based breakfast cereals marketed to children, an Environmental Working Group analysis shows.

Laboratory tests commissioned by EWG found levels of glyphosate, first produced by Monsanto as Roundup, in samples of General Mills’ Honey Nut Cheerios. The amount of the toxic pesticide exceeded the amount of both Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. In a sample of Quaker Oatmeal Squares, there was more glyphosate than Vitamin A.

ewg_social_share_honeycheeriosglyphlabel_pp07.jpg

ewg_two.jpg

Glyphosate is the most widely used herbicide in the world. It is classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as “probably carcinogenic” to people. In 2017, glyphosate was also listed by the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment as a chemical known to the state to cause cancer.

“If General Mills and Quaker refuse to remove glyphosate from these children’s cereals, then the companies should at least let parents know how much of this toxic weed killer they may be feeding their kids,” said EWG President Ken Cook. “When there is more weed killer linked to cancer than essential vitamins in kids’ cereal, parents and all consumers have the right to know.”

“Monsanto may not care about its reputation among parents, but food companies that market products to children should,” said Just Label It Chairman Gary Hirshberg. “The fact that these cereal makers could easily remove glyphosate from their products but have so far refused to do so should raise alarm bells with consumers and shareholders. A weed killer linked to cancer has no place in any food, especially those overwhelmingly eaten by kids.”

Since August, EWG has released the results of laboratory tests that found glyphosate widespread in oat-based breakfast cereals and snack bars popular with kids. The vast majority of the non-organic products analyzed – 85 percent – had levels of the weed killer above EWG’s health benchmark of 160 parts per billion, or ppb.

To date, more than 200,000 people have signed a petition from EWG and Just Label It calling on General Mills, Quaker and Kellogg’s to get glyphosate out of their products.

Kinda makes you feel all warm and cozy doesn't it.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As a farmer, for the last 22 years I have stayed away from Round up Ready crops.

That said, I was afraid for all those years something like this might happen. I am shocked to find out this herbicide a possible carcinogen, some years ago. I had no idea the preharvest interval for Round up is only 7 days. Any idiot should know it takes much longer for it to break down, if it ever does, and do we really know how long that would take to make it safe to use?

Oats have never ben released in a RR resistant form, as is true with wheat. It is the pre harvest use that is a HUGE problem. Farmers are to blame, but really Monsanto is the criminal, as they influenced regulators to allow the very short preharvest interval. This should, and now will be revaluated, and a much longer preharvest interval used, or ban it for that use totally.

Monsanto was recently bought out by a German Chemical manufacture Bayer AG in Germany.. My bet is they regret that purchase!

Regards, Kirk

Bamby

Kirk I can see and possibly agree with what you're saying about the use of Roundup in the harvest cycle of some crops but I can't see it in grain crops.

I'm not even a farmer and know that once the grain heads start forming a person doesn't want to be running anything in the fields until harvest. And that would also include huge tractors spraying roundup. Or is their an aerial application I'm unaware of?

Now on to the next question... Since the last few weeks or so is actually a standing drying season for grain crops before harvest why would anyone at that point saturate their crops with roundup? It's done as far as growing and competition or do they just like hosing more money over it when it fairly dry and receptive and will absorb more product.

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk I can see and possibly agree with what you're saying about the use of Roundup in the harvest cycle of some crops but I can't see it in grain crops.

I'm not even a farmer and know that once the grain heads start forming a person doesn't want to be running anything in the fields until harvest. And that would also include huge tractors spraying roundup. Or is their an aerial application I'm unaware of?

Now on to the next question... Since the last few weeks or so is actually a standing drying season for grain crops before harvest why would anyone at that point saturate their crops with roundup? It's done as far as growing and competition or do they just like hosing more money over it when it fairly dry and receptive and will absorb more product.

I hate to say it, but spraying prior to harvest is mostly for the ease of harvesting on the part of the farmer. :unsure: It might also make the uniformity in the grain more consistant. Bad way to run a railroad, but unfortunately the farmers believed the product was safe, from Monsanto propaganda..

Now we know better... :hide:

Regards, Kirk