• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Food Fraud, Are you aware of what you eat?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A few years back we had a pet food fraud with Chinese supplied supplements. It killed or maimed thousands of USA pets. Later we have honey cereals laced with Cheap Corn Syrup adulterations.

These were not accidents but intentional, criminal frauds. It was all in the news. But most such frauds are kept silent from the public.

How Food Fraud Is Becoming More Prevalent
Food Fraud | May 22, 2017
download%20%285%29.jpg

Imagine more than 450,000 diners are preparing to order meals at NYC’s best restaurants for the 2017 NYC Restaurant Week. These diners are counting on a culinary experience after paying a hefty reservation fee. Now imagine that food at all the NYC restaurants has been intentionally tampered with, and diners are ingesting low-quality adulterated products. An entire network of people now are buzzing about the fraudulent food – word spreads rapidly. Widespread fear, social media blasts, and the press are all questioning the integrity of the NYC restaurants, the product itself, and the suppliers. It may take weeks to find the source of adulteration especially if there is an entire network of people to investigate. This is the dramatic side of food fraud, but it’s important to realize this scenario is possible.
On February 16, 2017 the Italian government arrested 33 suspects whose allegations include exporting fake extra virgin olive oil to the United States. According to Olive Oil Times, the suspects were involved in an elaborate olive oil scheme to import olive pomace oil, a product that’s extracted from already-pressed fruit pulp using chemical solvents, then labeling the low-quality, adulterated oil products as extra virgin olive oil and exporting it to the US. Those products were sold through retail chains in New York, Boston and Chicago. Retail chains that supply NYC restaurants products for high profile events such as NYC Restaurant Week. Such incidents could have a significant economic impact.
“From this example of olive oil, to substituting horse meat for beef, to adding crushed peanut shells to ground cumin, there are many examples of food fraud.” Earl Arnold, Global Manager of Food Defense and FSMA at AIB International. “Food fraud is a growing concern across the world.”
Selling fraudulent and misbranded olive oil might not concern everyone in the food industry, but the bigger issue is intentional adulteration for economic gain has the ability to cause: product reputation issues, industry credibility, economic impacts, loss of public confidence, effectiveness of government regulations, and disruption of trade.
Arnold said, food fraud can do a few different things. It can cost a company a lot of money when paying for a specific commodity, like honey, as an ingredient and receiving honey blended with corn syrup. Secondly, if the fraudulent ingredient poses a recall risk, add the cost of a recall and potential legal fees for all products that ingredient was added into. Brands could be damaged and it can take a long time to recover from this type of issue. Today, all certification schemes associated with GFSI include requirements to consider food fraud. GFSI requires some type of supplier assessment and mitigation strategies to prevent food fraud.
The changes to FSMA’s final rule on preventive controls released in December 2013, was largely designed to provide information on how companies will implement mitigation strategies, and ensure that the mitigation strategies are working as intended. In developing the rule, FDA interacted with the intelligence community and considered vulnerability assessments conducted in collaboration with the food industry. The goal of this rule is to prevent acts intended to cause wide-scale harm, including but not limited to food fraud.
“The preventive controls rule for human food regulation 21 CFR 117 requires you to consider economically motivated adulteration.” Arnold said. “This is food fraud that poses a known food safety risk to the consumer. During the hazard analysis you need to evaluate this risk and develop controls if a significant hazard is identified.”

....My advice,,, is free and worth every penny....;
Buy the least pre-prepared foods. Buy the least pre-packaged foods. Buy those with the least listed ingredients. And remember, the most popular brands are the most likely targets of such food fraud perpetrators.

I cook from scratch myself. Simple canned or frozen is Okay in my kitchen. Only prime cuts of meat I grind to burger or from a butcher I know does it. It's a bit more work but besides taste, and the health benefits, there is less trash in the landfills.

An my colon.

Mostly, pay attention to the news, recalls, and watch out when companies change their ingredients. Like on your kid's cereal.

Again,,,;
.My advice,,, is free and worth every penny....;

I get frequent ingredient info from these guys.
NutraIngredients <newsletter@nutraingredients.com>
Contact them to subscribe for free.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm good as long as they do not frig around with my PayDay bars. Then there will be war. :yum:

Those used to be made near here in Centralia Illinois. Right next to my favorite "ZERO" bars. I installed and serviced the packaging lines. But that was thirty years ago when ingredients were honest "made in America" food. I have no idea what's in those puppies now.

Last edited:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Those used to be made near here in Centralia Illinois. Right next to my favorite "ZERO" bars. I installed and serviced the packaging lines. But that was thirty years ago when ingredients were honest "made in America" food. I have no idea what's in those puppies now.
A ZERO bar fresh out of the fridge was one of my favorite summertime treats when I was a kid. YUMMY! :clap:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
More free advice;

If you see an ingredient listed with a name you don't recognize,,,; WHY WOULD YOU PUT THAT IN YOUR BODY?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Regarding olive oil. I buy only from an olive store for eating. Bertolli for cooking.

In general I buy little packaged food. The box often tastes better than the contents.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Regarding olive oil. I buy only from an olive store for eating. Bertolli for cooking.

In general I buy little packaged food. The box often tastes better than the contents.
That's why you're so darn healthy at your age.
:smile:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok, I his take issue with the article.before fractionation became a way of extracting clean edible oil from corn, soy, and various vegetables, ALL food oil was made with acetone. Yes, acetone was mixed,in, this dissolved the impuities, the impuities werecondensed and filtered out, and then the acetone was distilled out.. Still using acetone in the 90s.

If you cant tell horsemeat from a ruth chris steak, you are a freakin moron.

Im surprised they did not go on to say that hotdogs are made with eyes, ears, toe nails, and penises. You should see what they put in hot dogs!

I would bet a hundred bucks the author is on the payroll of hsus/peta/humane society.

Rant off.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have to tell y'all that while I have no desire like anyone else to eat shit, I generally eat what I want, when I want to. My philosophy at this point in life is that I am only a few months away from turning 70 and I am going to live life as best I can in whatever amount of years the good Lord gives me. Of course exercise and not being over weight affords me a little lee way in all this, I get that. Genetics plays a huge part too in all this

Now with all that said, I do think I will skip the Acetone though. :yum::yum::yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok, I his take issue with the article.before fractionation became a way of extracting clean edible oil from corn, soy, and various vegetables, ALL food oil was made with acetone. Yes, acetone was mixed,in, this dissolved the impuities, the impuities werecondensed and filtered out, and then the acetone was distilled out.. Still using acetone in the 90s.

If you cant tell horsemeat from a ruth chris steak, you are a freakin moron.

Im surprised they did not go on to say that hotdogs are made with eyes, ears, toe nails, and penises. You should see what they put in hot dogs!

I would bet a hundred bucks the author is on the payroll of hsus/peta/humane society.

Rant off.

YOU WOULD LOSE THAT BET.:yum:
As the article presented the so-called "Extra Virgin" olive oil wasn't. Can you prove otherwise? After all, that was the premise of the OP.
Whilst MY comments were about going to more natural foods, the article was a warning about criminal adulterations of consumer foods.

You are welcome to eat sh!t if you want to. It is still a free country, mostly. Free to ignore sound advice and be stupid.:bolt: Or are you proving the old saying "we are what we eat.
:yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I eat a good balance of everything.
My doc told me years ago if you cannot pronounce a listed ingredient, do not consume it.
If that's the case, I'd have to be a green farmer and go back to eating vegan, which I did for almost 12 years.
Probably why my pipes are clean, and everything else checks out good.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My doc told me years ago if you cannot pronounce a listed ingredient, do not consume it.
If that's the case, I'd have to be a green farmer and go back to eating vegan, which I did for almost 12 years.
I was raised by parents who grew up farming. My God Father was a Chiropractor who preached organic foods. At the age of Twelve I started working for a truck farmer who was "organic" before that was considered "cool."
At 72, my pipes are clean as well. Despite some early (Age 30) hypertension and losing cornea's to cataracts, I am complete with all original parts. And they all work, operating within normal parameters.

We are what we eat. Based on what I do eat and what I don't,,,; I expect I'll likely die in a hospital of absolutely nothing.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Another piece of sound advice. I wonder how many people ever read the label. I do.

I avoid salt. If salt is anywhere the top of the ingredient list, I don't buy. No salt in my cooking. I don't own a salt shaker.

Except bacon. Bacon is an official health food.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I never salt anything, but pepper the hell out of things.
My Dad was the same way.
Oh yes bacon.:blush::heart1:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Another piece of sound advice. I wonder how many people ever read the label. I do.

I avoid salt. If salt is anywhere the top of the ingredient list, I don't buy. No salt in my cooking. I don't own a salt shaker.

Except bacon. Bacon is an official health food.

Bacon is sacred. As for salt, I too avoid it completely. We have a Morton salt box in the pantry so old it does have a bar code on the label. It is more than half full.

Like white sugar, we keep it around for guests. I have most of a five lb. bag which has been kept in the freezer for years.

If we sweeten at all, it is with raw honey, molasses, and pure maple syrups. I have five quarts of honey in the frig, two gallons of Vermont maple syrup, and a bottle of Black Strap molasses.

That said, there is nothing wrong with occasionally eating cured eats, sausage hams and bacons. But in small measure and surely from safe sources. AIB, the subject of the OP is an organization that helps insure our processed commercial food systems are safe. Though not perfect, they are committed and cannot be "bought" as some ( Waybomb) have suggested. I have used them for some 40 years to assess and certify my packaging and food preparation facilities. They are painstakingly thorough, tough, stubborn and at the end of the day, awesome.

https://www.aibonline.org/

They are not concerned about Organic food or other good health habits. Just that the food prepared and the ingredients used are "wholesome" and not corrupted either by accident, carelessness or miss use. Pig eyelids in hot dog meat is okay if it is clean and wholesome. However, in this case, they are concerned about actual intentional, criminal, fraudulent labeling.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I did not suggest AIB, GFSI, FSIS, Circle U, etc, or anybody can be bought.

I was saying the article is misleading. Saying solvents were used in processing. Yes, all food oils were processed with a very strong solvent up until about the mid 90s, when a more economical method was developed.

Don't know about y'all, but my recent ancestors all lived into their 90s and were mostly brought up on oils processed in solvents.

His story on the extra virgin oil was all ok, expect for insinuating that something bad was happening BECAUSE of using a solvent to maker oil. Should have left that part out.

It sucks to know a little something about something and then reading something such as that author's slanting of the truth.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
OMG, do I really look like a PayDay Bar? I will have to do something about all that cellulite. :yum::yum::yum: Oh, the humanity.

You're sometimes sweet and sometimes salty and always a bit nuts.

You are what you eat. That doesn't mean you look like what you eat

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I did not suggest AIB, GFSI, FSIS, Circle U, etc, or anybody can be bought.

I was saying the article is misleading. Saying solvents were used in processing. Yes, all food oils were processed with a very strong solvent up until about the mid 90s, when a more economical method was developed.

Don't know about y'all, but my recent ancestors all lived into their 90s and were mostly brought up on oils processed in solvents.

His story on the extra virgin oil was all ok, expect for insinuating that something bad was happening BECAUSE of using a solvent to maker oil. Should have left that part out.

It sucks to know a little something about something and then reading something such as that author's slanting of the truth.

No, the author said something was bad because it was fraudulent. It wasn't about use of solvents but improper labeling. My example was of the Chinese mixing corn syrup and cane sugar with honey and labeling it "pure honey" It wasn't gonna kill anybody but it was a fraud.

BTW;
It also sucks to believe you are an expert because you know a "little something" And trying to walk it back doesn't improve the credibility.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
You're sometimes sweet and sometimes salty and always a bit nuts.

You are what you eat. That doesn't mean you look like what you eat

Oh, wow, 69 years old and I can count on one hand with now four fingers left over the amount of times I have been called sweet. :yum::yum::yum: